Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Secret of Monkey Island

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 31, 1990

The first game in the legendary Monkey Island series. Guybrush's desire to become a swashbuckling pirate gets him more adventure than he bargained for.

Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition: old or new graphics?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition: old or new graphics? (31 votes)

Old 45%
    New 55%

So real talk, I have the special editions of the first two Monkey Island games on Steam. I feel like finally playing them, having not played the games before. I can appreciate the old graphics, but I also feel like kind of a dick by just ignoring the new graphics and all of the time and effort some artists put into updating all of the graphics.

• 
    whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whitegreyblack

My choice is "old".

That said, switch back and forth on every scene and see what they've done with it in the new graphics style.

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The old graphics still look great in my opinion, although I do have some serious nostalgia for these games for what it's worth. I still have no idea how people were able to cram that much detail into such low resolutions back then, still boggles my mind.

I really didn't like the update Guybrush model in the first remaster, so I played with old graphics plus voice acting. I thought they did a much better job in the second one, so I played that with the new graphics (and I would constantly stop to listen to the director's commentary which was a great addition).

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I prefer the old graphics. The new ones are fine, but it doesn't have the same charm for whatever reason. It's probably just nostalgia, but I do like pixel art so it could have something to do with that, too. I don't know.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

It's easy to switch back and forth, so you can mix and match if you like. I played with new but almost every time I visited a new place I would take a look around in the old graphics style. You might even find you want to play through it a second time anyway (it's quite short when you know where to go, after all). They're both pretty good-looking IMO, I think my slight preference for new might be in part because I didn't play it on original release - we'll see how I feel about this topic when Day of the Tentacle comes out (which I do have a ton of childhood nostalgia for the original look of).

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As I recall, the first game did not let you keep the voice acting when you switched to the old graphics, which is kind of the main reason to play the special edition IMO. Barring that I'd consider switching to the old more often.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I switch back and forth, i love how fluid it is. Tickles me endlessly. Plus, it can be a nice way for me to try ferreting out details i missed. A change of perspective can do wonders. (I never played the game back in the day, so it's all new to me)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.