Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

Looking for Some Insight -

Mike_Sandbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mike_Sandbag

Okay, so apparently this game's pretty amazing, or so I've heard... Which means I'd like to give it a shot. But I'm a little hesitant for a couple of reasons. I'm not a big fan of gratuitous gore-type stuff. Is there a lot of that in here? Blood and bodies blown apart sort of thing? The Quick Look had a scene where a zombie's head was bashed in pretty brutally... Is that a major part of the game?

I'm also not a big fan of zombies in general. I just kind of think they're dumb. But from all the praise this game's getting, I'm definitely interested in it. I love a good story, especially an emotional one.

So does anyone have any insight about this stuff? Or any information I should know or be aware of going in? I'd be playing on PS3. And please, no spoilers. Thanks. :)

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By newhaap

Yeah, you are going to run into quite a few scenes that are more difficult to stomach compared to the zombie head bashing. You'll be responsible for a lot of them too. I wouldn't say they're gratuitous gore though, I feel like the violence displayed in the game is always meant to manipulate your emotions in a certain way and not just for the sake of gore.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

Whenever you see a zombie, which isn't as often as you might think, you're either going to be running from it or killing them (or both) so you're likely to see a bit of guts. It's never really as gory as the show though, which if you've seen you know is really into the blood and guts. The zombies and zombie killing really isn't the focus of this game. It's the way people change and the ways they stay the same in such a horrible situation (and by extension, how you would act in such a situation).

There are definitely some moments where the violence is central to a scene, like a situation where you have to chop off someone's leg to get away from zombies (should you choose to), but it's not the sort of thing where you're gonna be forced to watch stuff like the zombie head bashing from the quick look every time you deal with a violent situation. Also in that scene you don't actually have to keep hitting the zombie.

TL;DR: the gore isn't gratuitous.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Kerned

I am very gore-sensitive and I had no problem at all with this game.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Getz

I am not a squeamish person by any stretch of the imagination and even I was cringing at a few scenes; expect a good deal of gore and just generally fucked up stuff. Also lots of "other" things that may make you uncomfortable that I won't go in to for fear of spoiling it.

Still, if you're the kind of person that's not easily grossed-out but just doesn't prefer that kind of entertainment then you'll still find a lot to like about this game. It doesn't lean heavily on the gore as a way to keep you engaged, it's the characters and the choices you're forced to make that will be the most interesting parts of the game.

BuyBondsYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BuyBondsYo

This game is just like the comic book and show in that it really isn't even about the zombies. It's about how people can get really fucked up without order, and how in this situation; You generally should fear your own kind more than the zombies themselves.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Tylea002

@Kerned said:

I am very gore-sensitive and I had no problem at all with this game.

This here. It's gory, but not too far. It handles all it's shocking moments with taste, and never shows actual bone breaks or anything. It's not too bad at all, and when it is, it has a purpose story wise and isn't gratuitous for no reason, it works well.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Winternet

@Mike_Sandbag: Just don't let Episode 1 influence you too much and play Episode 2 immediately after.

Mike_Sandbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mike_Sandbag

My apologies. Gratuitous was probably a bad choice of words. I just meant to ask if there was a lot of it. Thanks for the input. :)

If anyone else has stuff to add, feel free. :)

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dungbootle

Despite any reservations, you should absolutely play it.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Raven10

There is a lot of violence. It isn't constant but it is very common. It's not incredibly realistic violence, but it is definitely a very common occurrence so if you don't like those things then probably don't play it.

The zombies are not a focus of the game. The zombies are the catalyst that drives a character driven story. There is nothing about the fiction behind the zombies unless it is required for the story. It is about how these characters interact and how desperation pushes people to do terrible things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.