Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

What do you all make of this game?

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sickVisionz

Off rip, I want to say that I enjoy playing these.

I've read a bunch of reviews that describe these games as really tense and dark and super serious, but I'm laughing my ass off most of the time and much like Fallout 3, I feel this is designed to be silly and comedic but, also like Fallout 3, everyone describes them as ultra serious, gritty, dark, and morose.

I know I'm not literally the only one (so don't post that i'm too stupid to know what hyperbole is gif) but am I the only one that sees these more as a dark comedy? The facial animations that people make pretty much kill any seriousness for me and the voice acting and body animations come off as really B-movie Killer Clowns From Outer Space to me. I'm loving it, but I can't help but feel like I'm getting the wrong idea based off of what I here from everywhere else on the web.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I would think it very obvious that what you're describing is far from the devs intent.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MeierTheRed

I think you are a crazy person,if this game makes you laugh, either that your your just void of emotions and have no shred of empathy in your body.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sickVisionz

It all just seems so cheesy and hokey to me. Granted, I've only played up to chapter 1 of episode 2, but I think the intro was supposed to be super dramatic and intense, but I just laughed the whole time. The exact situation happened in the show though, and it came off as tense and non-comical but in this game all I can do is laugh at it.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By zaccheus

@sickVisionz: I guess maybe you just can't suspend your disbelief in games or at least this game. Are there any games that have effected you emotionally? Almost anything can be hokey if you decide it to be. It's easy to find all the implausible garbage in most stories, no matter how they are told. To get an emotional experience we often try to ignore these points and the better the story the easier it is.

Suspension of disbelief or willing suspension of disbelief is a term coined in 1817 by the poet and aesthetic philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge, who suggested that if a writer could infuse a "human interest and a semblance of truth" into a fantastic tale, the reader would suspend judgment concerning the implausibility of the narrative.

There are a lot of people who seem to really focus on totally the wrong things and have pretty abnormal reactions to stories.

Mahogany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Mahogany

The expressions are comic book-ish but not comic. I really like the style of the game, there's occasionally a blackly comic element but on the whole it's pretty grim. A couple of the achievement names made me chuckle when they popped up.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sickVisionz

@Zaccheus: I've had emotional reactions to both the Walking Dead television series as well as other games that are far more fantastical like Mass Effect, KOTOR, Lost Odyssey, Heavy Rain (less fantastical but an example of an adventure game that had an emotional impact on me), and others. This one just seems purposely goofy in a B-movie type of way just like how I thought Fallout 3 had deliberate humor and purposeful silliness running through the storytelling but others were like, "this is game is depressing that I can't play it for long periods of time."

It's not an issue of suspension of disbelief and me being like zombies are fake therefore nothing in this can get to me. The characters are interesting to me and I get the drama going on between people. When I'm just walking around and talking to people, the game clicks for me like for how I think most people describe it. The second zombies show up and everyone starts busting out their super exaggerated this is my horrified face or this is my super tense face animations and starts cursing like 6th graders, it all just comes off as b-movie goofiness to me.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Revan_NL

You shouldn't play this game when you're high...

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By stinky

a hat, a broach, or a pterodactyl.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheHumanDove

Yeah, butchering people alive and feeding them to people is kinda funny I guess

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By landon

@TheHumanDove said:

Yeah, but its the way they did it, ya know?

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sickVisionz

@TheHumanDove said:

Except this is Starship Troopers but people are spinning it like Saving Private Ryan and telling me that a suspension in disbelief is the only qualitative difference between the two.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Milkman

Uh, no. I don't think anyone else sees this as a "dark comedy" at all. 

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By newhaap

@sickVisionz: I think you're probably right regarding the animation (particularly facial animations) making the characters seem too exaggerated or comical in the more intense sequences. But I don't think that's intentional.

I never see the game as being comical but I also think that's because I went in expecting the game to be dramatic and serious, so I'm probably only seeing what I want to see.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By abendlaender

You know I watched a bit of the TV show, and in a scene they bashed a zombies head with a huge stone and it was very graphical but I just couldn't stop laughing. I think I just can't take zombies seriously, actually I can't take 95% of all "Drama" in Games and Movies seriously.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By zaccheus

@sickVisionz: I think that's fine. I don't think Fallout 3 is really funny, but it isn't that bleak either. There is inherent humor all around. Not as much as Fallout 2, but still.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I think it's a very emotionally charged experience, especially after just playing through episode 2. The walking dead has made me feel pretty much every emotion which is something no other video game has been able to do. The characters are strikingly realistic and I love that it's more about the peoples interactions and relationships instead of just zombies. I don't see it as a dark comedy at all, I don't see how you could.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fripplebubby

I did not find the first two episodes funny at all, but very gruesome and intense. Does a comicbook-esque graphical style really make you crack up? Or is it that you find it funny that the game takes itself seriously? I know it's from Telltale, but I've found it really hardhitting so far.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#19  Edited By donutfever

No. The animations are exaggerated, but far from funny. Especially given the context of the story.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@sickVisionz said:

The second zombies show up and everyone starts busting out their super exaggerated this is my horrified face or this is my super tense face animations and starts cursing like 6th graders, it all just comes off as b-movie goofiness to me.

I didn't notice this at all through my time so far with the game, the animations and all that fit with the visual style of the game as far as I could tell or fit well enough for it to meld perfectly for me, thus I didn't notice at all. All games look dumb most the time, their goal is the stop you from noticing and clearly you didn't buy the tricks the game is doing to sell you on this aspect of it whereas others easily fall in with the game and ride along with it's story and what not.

Eitherway the Walking Dead is hardly about the zombies, like any good zombie story it's about the conflicts between survivors. The zombies are just a mcguffin to keep pushing them onward towards chaos and sadness and hopefully a big huge orgy of love before they all fucking die CAUSE IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD WHY LIVE A LIFE IN A SHITHOLE SUCH AS THIS!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.