Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Amazing generosity shows the kind of audience support you can get

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StingingVelvet

The pro-consumer attitude of CD Projekt and GOG.com truly makes for a classy fanbase that will go out of their way to support you.  Let me tell you a brief story about The Witcher fans...

I am a box collector.  I have a ton of PC game boxes dating back to the very early 90's when I got into this hobby.  I felt bad with The Witcher 2 though, because the GOG.com offer was so tempting and would give CDP the entire profit as well as supporting DRM free games.  I needed the box though, for my collecting impulses.  I made a thread about this on the GOG forums, lamenting my lack of being able to buy the GOG version.  Well, today someone on the GOG forum GIFTED me the GOG version of the game, for nothing, just so I could both have the box and support the DRM free version.  He said he had spare cash and wanted to support the developers any way he could, and felt good about gifting copies.  I'm not identifying him because I do not want him to receive a thousand private messages.

This is an example though of how the community will treat you if you treat the community.  By making a PC focused game (if not exclusive) with no DRM, free DLC and the right attitude CDP has gained fans who want to go above and beyond to support them and to support their business.  That's just heart warming, and I hope other devs big and small take note.

I hope you take note as well.  Support the devs you really admire and agree with.  Make their efforts worth it.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Zimbo

GOG.com has always had a good community. I remember a thread where they would gift each other games to try and get people to play something they wouldn't normally play. Brilliant idea.

I also bought The Witcher 2 off GOG. Simply the best digital version of the game you will find anywhere.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By borodin
    @StingingVelvet: That's kiiiind of weird? I mean, you have a copy of the game, and you're not the one giving the money to the developers for that GOG copy. So you now have a redundant copy of the game, and some other guy supported the devs on your behalf. Wouldn't it have been better if he'd gifted the game to someone who didn't have it?

But whatever man, I'm not trying to rain on your parade - it was still a damn generous thing for the guy to do
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By vitor

That's a really cool story (as in, legitimately so, not of the bro variety).

I do really like the way GOG has handled their download service, with the preloading, preorder payment system and ability to select your own region, not to mention their attempts for price parity across all regions. 

Here's hoping that the launch tomorrow goes without a hitch and all their efforts are validated in terms of sales/success.
    StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StingingVelvet
    @borodin said:
    @StingingVelvet: That's kiiiind of weird? I mean, you have a copy of the game, and you're not the one giving the money to the developers for that GOG copy. So you now have a redundant copy of the game, and some other guy supported the devs on your behalf. Wouldn't it have been better if he'd gifted the game to someone who didn't have it?

But whatever man, I'm not trying to rain on your parade - it was still a damn generous thing for the guy to do
    I did think of that after I redeemed it, that there is some poor guy out there who can't afford the game right now and I could have given it to him.  It's too late now to fret over that though since I already redeemed the gift code.  Still, at the end of the day what matters to me is that CDP got another $45 and I got the box.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By borodin
    @StingingVelvet said:
      Still, at the end of the day what matters to me is that CDP got another $45 and I got the box.
    Word! Hell I wish someone would gift me a GOG copy: my copy won't arrive until Wednesday at the earliest *cries*
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scooper
    @StingingVelvet said:
    @borodin said:

I did think of that after I redeemed it, that there is some poor guy out there who can't afford the game right now and I could have given it to him.  It's too late now to fret over that though since I already redeemed the gift code.  Still, at the end of the day what matters to me is that CDP got another $45 and I got the box.
    You should of sold it and made some money on it. If someone's being charitable, abuse it for personal gain.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam

Nice story and yes, I really admire how CD Project and GOG treats their fans and customers.

I'll definitely pick up the console version (yeah, even if it's graphically less impressive) ... at least I heard it's pretty certain that it's coming to consoles in the near future.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By BladeOfCreation

Hey, that is really cool.  I do like getting boxed copies for new games (cheap games on Steam sales notwithstanding), but in this case I went with the GoG version.  Funny thing is I've never managed to beat The Witcher, though I've started it a few times.  New computers, dead HDD's with hours of saves on them, stuff like that.  Still, I felt like I would be missing a great opportunity for what looks to be a great game (made by a fantastic dev who likes supporting their customers long after release), so I ended up buying and pre-loading it...but I can't play till Wednesday due to finals and work.  Damn!

On an unrelated note, do you post on the PCG website as well?  I recognize your screen name, I think from there.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MeierTheRed

Love GOG, nothing more needs to be said.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StingingVelvet
    @Nate_is_my_fake_name: @Nate_is_my_fake_name said:
    Hey, that is really cool.  I do like getting boxed copies for new games (cheap games on Steam sales notwithstanding), but in this case I went with the GoG version.  Funny thing is I've never managed to beat The Witcher, though I've started it a few times.  New computers, dead HDD's with hours of saves on them, stuff like that.  Still, I felt like I would be missing a great opportunity for what looks to be a great game (made by a fantastic dev who likes supporting their customers long after release), so I ended up buying and pre-loading it...but I can't play till Wednesday due to finals and work.  Damn!On an unrelated note, do you post on the PCG website as well?  I recognize your screen name, I think from there.
    I just finished The Witcher for the first time last month actually.  I bought it at release and then again when the Enhanced Edition came out, but I had never played all the way to end before because of a HDD crash which took my saves and then just general distraction.  I finally sat down a month or so ago and said "okay, time to finish this sucker" and then did so.  The last two chapters are actually the best of the five I think, so you should play them sometime.

And yeah, I posted on the PCG forums when the website first popped up.  I decided I didn't like the community there that much though and left for the most part.  Right now I mostly post on GOG's forums.  I would like to post more here but it's a lot to dive into!
    Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By BladeOfCreation
    @StingingVelvet said:
    @Nate_is_my_fake_name: @Nate_is_my_fake_name said:
    Hey, that is really cool.  I do like getting boxed copies for new games (cheap games on Steam sales notwithstanding), but in this case I went with the GoG version.  Funny thing is I've never managed to beat The Witcher, though I've started it a few times.  New computers, dead HDD's with hours of saves on them, stuff like that.  Still, I felt like I would be missing a great opportunity for what looks to be a great game (made by a fantastic dev who likes supporting their customers long after release), so I ended up buying and pre-loading it...but I can't play till Wednesday due to finals and work.  Damn!On an unrelated note, do you post on the PCG website as well?  I recognize your screen name, I think from there.
    I just finished The Witcher for the first time last month actually.  I bought it at release and then again when the Enhanced Edition came out, but I had never played all the way to end before because of a HDD crash which took my saves and then just general distraction.  I finally sat down a month or so ago and said "okay, time to finish this sucker" and then did so.  The last two chapters are actually the best of the five I think, so you should play them sometime.And yeah, I posted on the PCG forums when the website first popped up.  I decided I didn't like the community there that much though and left for the most part.  Right now I mostly post on GOG's forums.  I would like to post more here but it's a lot to dive into!
    I did make sure to buy the Enhanced Edition Director's Cut for $5 on GoG last week.  I know I will get to it eventually, and I have the original boxed copy.  Last time I installed it, I found out that DLing all the patches for the Enhanced/Director's stuff was way too much of a hassle.  The entire thing for $5 was way too good to pass up.

The problem I run into with getting back into it is that I played quite a bit, so I have to spend probably about 15+ hours to get back to where I was.

Yeah, not a fan of the PCG community either.  I actually just got my account here last week.  Been listening to the Bombcast for over a year now, I figured I should check out the website.  Definitely digging it so far.
    Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

CDP is definitely a class act. I have maximum respect for them and what they stand for.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StingingVelvet
    @Nate_is_my_fake_name said:
    I did make sure to buy the Enhanced Edition Director's Cut for $5 on GoG last week.  I know I will get to it eventually, and I have the original boxed copy.  Last time I installed it, I found out that DLing all the patches for the Enhanced/Director's stuff was way too much of a hassle.  The entire thing for $5 was way too good to pass up.The problem I run into with getting back into it is that I played quite a bit, so I have to spend probably about 15+ hours to get back to where I was.Yeah, not a fan of the PCG community either.  I actually just got my account here last week.  Been listening to the Bombcast for over a year now, I figured I should check out the website.  Definitely digging it so far.
    Yeah, I have been coming here for a couple years and enjoying the quicklooks and bombcast.  I like that they treat the PC with a lot more respect than most mainstream gaming websites.  The community is a lot to dive into though, very busy and very populated!  I will be trying to get more into it here and there.

And I definitely understand what you mean about having to do the first parts over again, that is a reason it took me so long to finally get back to it.  I would say just wait until you feel those opening chapters would be fresh again.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I would buy it on GOG if they weren't so keen on charging me about £17 more than D2D does. One would think it would be in that same price range since all the cash goes to the devs. I love CDP for all of the stuff they're doing, but I don't give a shit about anything other than getting the game and getting my money to the devs in some way. Never liked collectors editions, hate physical media and I don't have that £17 extra to spend unfortunately, so just buying the game will have to suffice.. Real nice guy who gifted it to you though.

Free DLC though? That would be cool, but I think it's about time PC gamers start realizing that DLC is (generally) not the same thing as shit-we-didn't-put-on-the-disc. The entitlement of the PC community regarding such things really pisses me off sometimes.
    StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StingingVelvet
    @Ertard said:
    I would buy it on GOG if they weren't so keen on charging me about £17 more than D2D does. One would think it would be in that same price range since all the cash goes to the devs. I love CDP for all of the stuff they're doing, but I don't give a shit about anything other than getting the game and getting my money to the devs in some way. Never liked collectors editions, hate physical media and I don't have that £17 extra to spend unfortunately, so just buying the game will have to suffice.. Real nice guy who gifted it to you though.

Free DLC though? That would be cool, but I think it's about time PC gamers start realizing that DLC is (generally) not the same thing as shit-we-didn't-put-on-the-disc. The entitlement of the PC community regarding such things really pisses me off sometimes.
    I think little things like a bonus quest or items should be free.  The stuff that Oblivion first came out with like the houses, horse armor and spellbooks.  That stuff should be free.  The larger DLC like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2 got though I agree, that stuff is worth the money.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By RIDEBIRD
    @StingingVelvet: Yeah, I guess.

But then again, every PC dev (would be a total bitch on console with licenses and MS + Sony) should go the TF2 route. Hats and shit, and you can buy stuff you can find but it will take you a while to find it. I read in an interview yesterday that some guy that created a few TF2 items earns about $20000 a week on royalties from those. Imagine the absolutely stupid amounts of money Valve is making. With that revenue stream you can throw content out for free, since people are paying for other stuff.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince

That sounds pretty awesome.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tennmuerti

I'm actually buying 2 copies myself.
    One digital, which was preordered half a year ago. (sadly on Steam, so still waiting for it to unlock)
    And a physical CE, but that will probably take a while before the stores in my country get it, which was another reason for digital purchase

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By armaan8014
    @StingingVelvet said:
    @borodin said:

Me. Im poor.

Just kidding :P

Ok no I am
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @StingingVelvet:   That does sound awesome, so awesome that i'm gonna create a GOG account and start purchasing games from their website. 
    I also think CDP are an amazing dev team and i respect their work and PC preference. might become one of my favorite studios after beating Witcher 2.

however, i'd like to bet 20$ that in 2-3 years max, The Witcher 3 is gonna be developed on consoles and ported to PC, with an Assassin's Creed-like combat system and the whole Alchemy / Signs / Skill Point system stripped down to loot items that you loot and use.
    It's going to feature monster-boning, including same-sex monster boning, and will be the GOTY of its year on many websites including Giant Bomb.

is the bet on? ^^
    (also, a multiplayer component)

Don't mind the
     Don't mind the "only on Xbox" tag - the X360 version is only getting a head start. PC and PS3 to be released in January next year!
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Ahmad_Metallic:
    I will take that bet.
    Bet being that Witcher 3 will be developed for consoles and ported to PC. (no time limitation even)
    I bet it won't and will still be develoiped for PC first.
    But lets make it interesting and bet a Witcher 3 copy.
    :)
    ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By ChillyUK7

I just bought the boxed Premnium Edition for only £30, it's £35 on steam. Really looking forward to the game, i've only seen a couple minutes of footage (not even gameplay) to keep the game fresh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.