Finished the game(spoilers obviously)

#1 Edited by Thule (692 posts) -

So, after a late night sprint I finally finished the game. I'm really impressed with the game so far and would probably call it the best RPG I've played so far this year, but I still haven't played everything there's to offer considering I haven't sided with Iorveth yet in Chapter 1.

I thought the game resolved it's story sufficiently and gave answers where needed. The complaints about the bad ending are somewhat justified, but they resolved the Wild Hunt and Kingslayer business well enough. It's just that you want to see what happens next. However, I expect that this is what CDP wants considering they're making an expansion for TW2. And with that, I don't mean some lame DLC, but a real old-school expansion. I played the game on hard and even though it was tough at the beginning, I was doing fine by Chapter 2. It might just have something to do with the fact that I didn't know how to fight in the beginning though, I'll see how I do next time I play through the game.

During the game I killed Aryan La Valette. Helped Roche capture Iorveth at the elven ruins and after that helped assasinate Loredo. In Chapter 2 I ended up in the Kaedweni army camp, which is a pretty impressive sight. The entire quest to lift the curse on King Henselt and the battlefield was pretty good. At the battle of Vergen, I decided to help Roche again and spared Henselt's life. As big of a dick he was, killing him would put yet another realm in chaos. Chapter 3 is quite short, people are right about that, but I didn't feel cheated or anything. In this Chapter I spent my time gathering cool equipment(which is pretty easy to obtain) and after that finished the main quest. I decided to help Roche with rescuing Anais and gave her to the Temerian delegation, I figured there was no way that Radovid would honor his agreement and just hand over all of Temeria to her once she'd come of age.
After that I had an epic fight with a dragon, which was really well done. I really felt like this fight was incredibly well done. It doesn't really make sense for a dragon to fight you on land, which is what you'd see in some other games. However, in this case you're inside a tower, so it'd make sense for it to come close.

After that the talk with Letho remained, in which he answered most of the questions you have regarding his motives and the rest of the plot. I also really like how they explained the Wild Hunt. He's not some spectral force, but he's just a regular elf from another world. I really like this reference, because it strengthens the theory that the Witcher is not a fantasy game, but actually a post-apocalytic science fiction game. In the Witcher fiction only the gnomes and dwarves are native to the world. The elves and humans arrived in this world by "ship" and the monsters arrived when the Conjunction of Spheres(planets?) occured. The explanation that the Wild Hunt is an elf from another world, who still hasn't felt the oppression of humans, nor suffered from them, is good supporting evidence of that.
Ofcourse Sapkowsky left this relatively vague in his books and left it up to the reader to decide, I really like that explanation. It makes sense like that to me, because it explains why the world seems stuck in medieval times, yet has so much knowledge about alchemy and science.

Anyway, that's enough rambling for now, let me know what you think of the ending and what choices you made. I'll also make sure to post some pictures later of my Geralt in his Vran armor and Elder blood gear, with Addan Deith and Caerme as my swords.

#2 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Neat, your playthrough is pretty similar to mine!

I killed Aryan and sided with Roche in chapter 1. In 2 I let Roche kill Henselt. And in 3 I saved Triss (Though revenge on Dethmold was really temping) let Sile die from the megascope and killed the dragon.

Did you try fighting the operator in the sewers in chapter 3? Was a pretty tough fightl imo. Also what are those swords rewarded from?

#3 Edited by gike987 (1754 posts) -

I sided with Iorveth so the quest line for chapter two was completely different for me. In the end I helped getting the dagger instead of going after Triss so I could save Saskia. I let Letho go in the end. I was pretty happy with how it ended. I really don't understand all the complaints about the ending.

#4 Edited by Thule (692 posts) -
@Adamsons said:

Neat, your playthrough is pretty similar to mine!I killed Aryan and sided with Roche in chapter 1. In 2 I let Roche kill Henselt. And in 3 I saved Triss (Though revenge on Dethmold was really temping) let Sile die from the megascope and killed the dragon.Did you try fighting the operator in the sewers in chapter 3? Was a pretty tough fightl imo. Also what are those swords rewarded from?

I didn't fight in the sewers, beyond finding the treasure from the Mystic River quest(Vran armor diagram), so I don't know who the operator is.
Addan Deith is a silver sword you get from the chest in the room with the runes near the amphitheatre. The room with magic runes to the left of Loc Muinne's main gate contains a magical tome, that once deciphered by Bran of Ban Ard will give you a crafting diagram for Caerme a steel sword. You require a couple of ingredients to do so, Endrega queen pheromones, a Bullvore brain, blood of a nekker warrior and either a harpy egg or rotfiend's tongue.
#5 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -
@gike987 said:
I sided with Iorveth so the quest line for chapter two was completely different for me. In the end I helped getting the dagger instead of going after Triss so I could save Saskia. I let Letho go in the end. I was pretty happy with how it ended. I really don't understand all the complaints about the ending.
yep this is what I did too; Letho didn't seem like a bad guy, I understood why he did it, and I like the implication about witcher 3 or even DLC that'll mean going to the empire of Nilfgaard and finding Yennefer.
#6 Posted by Tennmuerti (8101 posts) -

A lot of things in the end will depend on what your choices throughout the game.
So while the chapter 3 is relatively short it is very melable.

People WILL have different feelings regarding the ending, simply because there are many ways for them happen.
Some will feel cheated and unsatisfied, because little is explained of political outcome, or miss Lethos explanations.
Others will have Triss break down the exact outcome of treaty talks, and mine Letho for knowledge.

As for me, I had a drink with Letho and let him go.
(but he IS a bad guy, dude murders witnesses without question, like the priest who healed him)


@Thule
I would consider the Operator (dude who can reset your skills) to be the toughest fight in the game.
Fucker summons 2 Gargoyles repeatedly that have more HP then normal and do INSANE damage to you, i had over 100 armor and over 50% damage resist and they still butt raped me in like 5 hits.
And you cant harm the operator until you kill them, then he re shields and summons after you get a few hits in.

#7 Edited by Thule (692 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:

As for me, I had a drink with Letho and let him go.
(but he IS a bad guy, dude murders witnesses without question, like the priest who healed him)

I killed him. I figure Geralt wouldn't have forgiven him for breaking the principles of being a Witcher. Letho took a payment for killing humans(the Emperor promising to rebuild the Viper school) and therefore became a regular blade for hire, witcher or not.
Also he thrust the realms of Temeria and Aedirn into chaos and war by his actions, causing many to suffer, Geralt wouldn't like that.

@Tennmuerti said:

@Thule: I would consider the Operator (dude who can reset your skills) to be the toughest fight in the game.Fucker summons 2 Gargoyles repeatedly that have more HP then normal and do INSANE damage to you, i had over 100 armor and over 50% damage resist and they still butt raped me in like 5 hits.And you cant harm the operator until you kill them, then he re shields and summons after you get a few hits in.


Huh, I haven't met him and didn't really need to respec my character, because I already had everything I wanted. I'll look for him in my next playthrough.
#8 Posted by Tennmuerti (8101 posts) -
@Thule said:

@Tennmuerti said:

As for me, I had a drink with Letho and let him go.
(but he IS a bad guy, dude murders witnesses without question, like the priest who healed him)

I killed him. I figure Geralt wouldn't have forgiven him for breaking the principles of being a Witcher. Letho took a payment for killing humans(the Emperor promising to rebuild the Viper school) and therefore became a regular blade for hire, witcher or not.
Also he thrust the realms of Temeria and Aedirn into chaos and war by his actions, causing many to suffer, Geralt wouldn't like that.
Yes, but it is not the job of a Witcher to dispense law or justice.
You can look at it from this above perspective.

This is why I never killed any story NPCs when given the choice, no matter how good or bad they are or the consequences.
Just because Letho is a murderer or that he stoped abiding by Witcher rules, did not allow the Geralt I roleplayed to dispense punishment on him.
Witchers kill monsters. That's how I played my first paythrough.
 (humans only in self defense, or defense of close ones)

Obviously, Geralt can be played in any way your want and shape his decision, there is no right or wrong choice.
Both mine and yours decisions were correct in our own eyes.
Which is what makes this game AWESOME I think :)
#9 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -

I just wish that they had an epilogue where they explained the consequences of your actions. Just wanted to know what state the kingdoms are left in now.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -
@zungerman090 said:
I just wish that they had an epilogue where they explained the consequences of your actions. Just wanted to know what state the kingdoms are left in now.
bad, I think that's FAIRLY CLEAR.
#11 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -
@Laketown: It is pretty obvious that things are in the shitter, but I'd like to know the state of each kingdom. Also, no word on Saskia. I know that she lost, but was she killed? Or imprisoned? Or did she escape? Witcher 1 had a fully voiced epilogue. Why shouldn't Witcher 2 have it too? Still love the game though, but the ending was a bit weak.
#12 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

....isn't this game supposed to be over 50 hours long without the side stuff?  

Did you just play it straight?  

#13 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -
@zungerman090 said:
@Laketown: It is pretty obvious that things are in the shitter, but I'd like to know the state of each kingdom. Also, no word on Saskia. I know that she lost, but was she killed? Or imprisoned? Or did she escape? Witcher 1 had a fully voiced epilogue. Why shouldn't Witcher 2 have it too? Still love the game though, but the ending was a bit weak.
uh, I dunno about you, in my ending I ended up talking with her, she went off to heal and to go back to Vergen. and witcher 2 will have mad (free) DLC, so I wouldn't worry about that. and an expansion somewhere along the line
#14 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -
@Laketown: This is exactly why I love it so much. I only spoke with Saskia for 5 minutes in the game. Heh. Yeah... Hopefully, a DLC with that will come out
#15 Edited by gike987 (1754 posts) -
@Laketown said:

@zungerman090 said:

@Laketown: It is pretty obvious that things are in the shitter, but I'd like to know the state of each kingdom. Also, no word on Saskia. I know that she lost, but was she killed? Or imprisoned? Or did she escape? Witcher 1 had a fully voiced epilogue. Why shouldn't Witcher 2 have it too? Still love the game though, but the ending was a bit weak.

uh, I dunno about you, in my ending I ended up talking with her, she went off to heal and to go back to Vergen. and witcher 2 will have mad (free) DLC, so I wouldn't worry about that. and an expansion somewhere along the line
So that could be a reason why some people are so disappointed with the ending. If you don't side with Iorveth you probably never get to learn that
#16 Posted by Tennmuerti (8101 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
....isn't this game supposed to be over 50 hours long without the side stuff?  Did you just play it straight?  
It's nowhere near 50 hours long even doing all the side stuff.
There is not a lot of fat in this game, it's a pretty tight experience.
Plenty of stuff to do and lots of story still don't worry.
And main storyline makes up the larger part of the game, not the side quests.
#17 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Tennmuerti: Sweet, I am a big fan of the first one and still kept onto my save file.  I was worried the game was short like Mass Effect.
#18 Posted by Tennmuerti (8101 posts) -
@KaosAngel:
 It is shorter then the original Witcher however.
I have 40 hours played, but I literal scoured every inch of land and did everything possible in 1 play through (there are significant separate paths in one chapter), read lore books, sometimes backtracking on a few choices so that also added playtime
#19 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -
@Thule said:
I didn't fight in the sewers, beyond finding the treasure from the Mystic River quest(Vran armor diagram), so I don't know who the operator is.Addan Deith is a silver sword you get from the chest in the room with the runes near the amphitheatre. The room with magic runes to the left of Loc Muinne's main gate contains a magical tome, that once deciphered by Bran of Ban Ard will give you a crafting diagram for Caerme a steel sword. You require a couple of ingredients to do so, Endrega queen pheromones, a Bullvore brain, blood of a nekker warrior and either a harpy egg or rotfiend's tongue.
Ah I cant finish the magical tome quest, I have 3/4 of the ingredients, but don't have a harpy egg / rotfiend tongue and i cannot get the harpies in act 3 to drop one for me.

The operator is the guy who resets your skills at the end of a long quest chain - you have to speak to a wisp in the sewers and give him a password to enter.
#20 Edited by Scotto (1185 posts) -

I had the password for the door in the sewers of Loc Muinne, but I skipped it.  I didn't want to reset my talents, and while the guy drops a dragon scale if you can kill him (which is extremely difficult - the guy peppers you with fireballs and summons a bunch of gargoyles), I had already found one in Philippa's house, which required me to do nothing but loot some crates and chests.


- Scott
#21 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

I have a feeling that I missed A LOT of things, and not because I wouldn't do sidequests and have as much conversation as possible, but because of how the story unfolds. I mean, I talked to Saskia only once, I never stepped once into the city of Vergen, I never even met Philippa. I was really shocked when I learned that the dragon I have slain was actually Saskia.
 
It just seems that choosing Roche or Iorveth can and will make you experience an entirely different game.
 
So, to people saying that the choices in the first game have greater impact or whatever... I beg to differ. It's really amazing how much possibilities there are.

#22 Posted by Zapato (98 posts) -

Funny thing: I spared Letho, and after the credits I can see a woman walking to the gate, if I kill him she doesn't appear..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.