Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Let's Talk About Yennefer (spoilers)

KevinK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KevinK

So, Witcher 1 was my introduction to the series. I played it back in the day, and played Witcher 2 on PC when it came out last year. 99% of what I know about the lore of the Witcher universe comes from the games.

So, I am just baffled about the way they handled Yennefer, who is supposed to be the love of Geralt's life.

No mention of her name at all in the first game, then, in the second game, we start learning about her through flashbacks, but in the first Chapter, the game gives you the opportunity to profess your love for Triss and I don't know why you wouldn't.

As a character, I got somewhat attached to Triss, considering you can bang her in the first 30 minutes of the first game, and you see her buck naked in the first 5 minutes of the second game. Not only is she a hot red-headed sex kitten, but she's also got a fun personality.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Yennefer and Geralt were like soulmates in the books, then why have the two games pushed me towards Triss? I have absolutely no connection to Yennefer, and even when the second game tells you who she was, you're basically taking it on faith that this is somebody Geralt should give a shit about. The Clone Wars-style cartoon flashbacks are cool, but they really didn't impress upon me the relationship that Yennefer and Geralt had (that I learned about from reading the Witcher wikia).

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

The nature of Geralt and Triss' relationship is explained in the book Blood of Elves, basically Triss was around Geralt and Yennefer when they had a massive fight and seduced Geralt.

Geralt is still in love with Yennefer, who loves him based on an event in the book The Last Wish.

Basically, it's complicated.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By valrog

I don't know, but I think everything will be a lot clearer in The Witcher 3.

@dekkadekkadekka said:

The nature of Geralt and Triss' relationship is explained in the book Blood of Elves, basically Triss was around Geralt and Yennefer when they had a massive fight and seduced Geralt. Geralt is still in love with Yennefer, who loves him based on an event in the book The Last Wish. Basically, it's complicated.

I really need to get my hands on the books.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

@KevinK: It's pretty easy Yennefer IS the love of Geralt's life, but due to the amnesia and such, his feelings to her aren't as strong as they once were and he is now more connected to Triss. He still searches for Yennefer though to figure out the pieces of the puzzle to his past and about The Wild Hunt.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By mosdl

Having never read the books, I was under the impression that the games are not 100% following the book storyline and that changes have already been made.

Plus Witcher 3 can have a three-way scene where you have to choose Maybe even bring back Shani...

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mosdl said:

Having never read the books, I was under the impression that the games are not 100% following the book storyline and that changes have already been made.

Plus Witcher 3 can have a three-way scene where you have to choose Maybe even bring back Shani...

The games take place after the conclusion of the final storyline in the books.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By mosdl

@S0ndor said:

@mosdl said:

The games take place after the conclusion of the final storyline in the books.

Did not know that!

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By valrog

@mosdl said:

Could you please explain what you like about Shani? I'm not trying to pull anything here, just curious about why does a lot of people like her? I, for one, chose Triss and never looked back.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Bobby_The_Great said:

@KevinK: It's pretty easy Yennefer IS the love of Geralt's life, but due to the amnesia and such, his feelings to her aren't as strong as they once were and he is now more connected to Triss. He still searches for Yennefer though to figure out the pieces of the puzzle to his past and about The Wild Hunt.

Sounds reasonable enough!
    Z3RO180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Z3RO180

@KevinK: i just started the witcher 2 and triss told geralt that he had a kid with this lasie from his past/.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Omega

I think the reason Yennifer is never mentioned in the first and part of the second game is because the story is told from Geralt's point of view. He is our narrator and since he has amnesia he is a very unreliable one. So of course we don't hear any mention of Yennifer until he finally unlocks that memory.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.