Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Oh Geralt... why can't you block and move at the same time?

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Franstone

The one thing I'm feeling I don't like is the fact Geralt can't move at all while blocking.
    Kinda makes you a sitting duck when multiple enemies coming at you.
    Plus he won't dynamically block multiple incoming attacks, kinda feels strange.
    Only option is to roll away it seems so far.

Other than that the only issue is the damn game is bringing my PC to it's knees...

Edit: I've died like 8 times now just attempting to get through the first major sword battle because of this.
    It's making me feel like I've never played a game before, getting annoyed...

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Contro
    @Franstone said: 

The one thing I'm feeling I don't like is the fact Geralt can't move at all while blocking.Kinda makes you a sitting duck when multiple enemies coming at you.Plus he won't dynamically block multiple incoming attacks, kinda feels strange.Only option is to roll away it seems so far.Other than that the only issue is the damn game is bringing my PC to it's knees...

Yea, you have to roll into good strategic positions before blocking or deflecting, and make good use of the terrain also. If you make mistakes with the latter they can swamp you proper.    
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

parrying successfully actually depletes one vigor bar, so that might be why you can't block more than once; there is an ability later on in the top tree that talks about parrying from all directions too.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Potion Up, roll away, kite, magical shield. ;)

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By DeeGee

Oh Gerald, why did your parents make a typo when naming you?

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Heltom92
    @Franstone: I had the exact same problem as you at first. I couldn't get to grips with the combat for a while but you will get used to it soon enough.
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Thule

Combat takes a while to get used to, but it seems satisfying once you get the hang of it. I'm playing on hard so I need to make extensive use of potions, traps, signs and bombs.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By onan

I'm playing the game more like Arkham Asylum and it's working out pretty well. I'm ping ponging between enemies when it looks like they're about to rush me. Plus it looks like those quick hits do extra damage when you jump at a guy from far away, so it's win/win. I've barely used block, just heavy abuse of rolling.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Dingofighter

I hated the combat in this game after dying three times at the first fight when you're alone.

Then I started to get the hang of it and started to single out enemies more and just doing quick hit and run attacks, which made me die less and made the combat more fun.
    The ability that lets you block from all angles helps alot too, so get that.

I still don't like the finishers that you can perform on stunned enemies, though, as the actual animation often takes place in a different spot than you were actually standing...
    It also looks wierd to have Geralt suddenly have both blades out, cut an enemy, then he immediately just has one sword out again...
    Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Taklulas
    @Franstone said:
    The one thing I'm feeling I don't like is the fact Geralt can't move at all while blocking.Kinda makes you a sitting duck when multiple enemies coming at you.Plus he won't dynamically block multiple incoming attacks, kinda feels strange.Only option is to roll away it seems so far.Other than that the only issue is the damn game is bringing my PC to it's knees...Edit: I've died like 8 times now just attempting to get through the first major sword battle because of this.It's making me feel like I've never played a game before, getting annoyed...
    I know what you meant lol. Took me awhile to get use to the combat seeing as I replayed Witcher 1 3 days before.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.