Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Witcher 2 video settings?

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

Just installed the game and man my PC is weak shit. AMD phenom x4, HD 5850, 4gb DDR3. Ultra 20 FPS, High 30 FPS. 

Anyone know what setting might give the best boost in frames. I know ubersampling is a drag, but what else can I eliminate without really noticing?
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vitor
    @MrOldboy said:
    Just installed the game and man my PC is weak shit. AMD phenom x4, HD 5850, 4gb DDR3. Ultra 20 FPS, High 30 FPS. 

Anyone know what setting might give the best boost in frames. I know ubersampling is a drag, but what else can I eliminate without really noticing?
    What res you running things at? 
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrOldboy

1920x1080

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By McShank

You can turn shadows down some, yes you will notice it somewhat but it will boost FPS by a TON!

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrOldboy
    @McShank: ill try that. Problem is there is no in game menu to change the video settings, you have to quit and use the launcher, or an I missing something?
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vitor

Depending on the quality of your monitor, you could always drop the res as long as you maintain the ratio i.e. 1920x1080 - 1600x900 - 1280x720

Some games for me (recently AC: Brotherhood and Crysis 2) have negligible differences if I drop from 1920 to 1600. If you're using a controller and sitting a few feet away, you likely won't notice. Of course, some monitors don't interpolate anywhere near as well so it totally depends on what you've got. Wish PC's could upscale as well as the consoles sometimes. 
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrOldboy
    @Vitor: hmm on 1600x900 it doesn't go fullscreen, black edges. 
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By McShank

resolution is one way to fix but it can deteriorate the picture if it is not the same as your monitor. Id say just turn shadows down to low or medium and maybe some AA to a lower x like 2x or 4x instead of 8 or 16x and if worse comes to worse, bite the bullet and start dropping texture detail which will make things blend into each other but will boost fps. If your getting 30fps though just drop shadows some and see. should get at least a good 10+ fps boost from that alone.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrOldboy
    @McShank: the settings are not that detailed. In the launcher I can only turn AA on or off. The having to quit and restart is annoying, wish it had an in game way to change the settings on the fly.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That does not bode well for my machine considering I'm running more or less exactly the same system as you. 

Surely you should be getting a higher FPS than that, though? 
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrOldboy
    @GetEveryone: I dont know. The game looks great on high. Also I've only been going on the intro cutscene and the first 5 min of the prologue so who knows what the actual fps I'll be getting once I get more into the game. From what I've seen online, Ultra at high fps might be only for very top end machines.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By MeierTheRed

Hrm interesting. My game is all most installed, should be interesting to see what performance i get out of it.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MeierTheRed

Well scratch that, i can't register the game, it cant connect to their servers. And on TheWitcher.com the "Register" button is all grayed out.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrOldboy

I dont know, I've been messing with the different settings, but am not sure if I am seeing much improvement. Turned the blur effects off, might have helped. The motion blur is rather intense and I might leave it off even though I dont think it hurts the fps that much. SSAO gives a bit of a boost.

Things I dont know what they are/do/if they effect performance.

texture memory size (MB)
    Number of Shawdowed Lights
    Dangling objects Limit - I've had this disabled the whole time. what is it?
    Decals - I'll try medium spec instead of high.

In the first bit of gameplay in the camp I am getting 26-39 about with the settings on default high.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Vitor said:
    Depending on the quality of your monitor, you could always drop the res as long as you maintain the ratio i.e. 1920x1080 - 1600x900 - 1280x720

Some games for me (recently AC: Brotherhood and Crysis 2) have negligible differences if I drop from 1920 to 1600. If you're using a controller and sitting a few feet away, you likely won't notice. Of course, some monitors don't interpolate anywhere near as well so it totally depends on what you've got. Wish PC's could upscale as well as the consoles sometimes. 
    Brotherhood and C2 are ported from consoles. Surely that makes a difference?
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Sooty
    @Vitor said:

What do you mean upscale as well as consoles?

It's not a case of PC not being able to upscale well, it's simply the fact that PC monitors look considerably worse when not ran at native res, TVs don't have the same problem in my experience.

As for The Witcher 2 I'm running it on ultra with 30-60FPS (always over 40 usually), ubersampling is off though. Great game, really puts any other game out there to shame visuals wise. Heavily OC'd GTX 470 and an i5 750 @ 4Ghz with 4Gb ram.

Takes a massive steaming dump on Dragon Age II as well, lazy BioWare fucks.
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrOldboy
    @Ygg: I've found that there isn't that big a difference from med-high-ultra, it only changes a few settings. Other than ubersampling. I turned AA off, left most everything on, that got me to a consistend 40+fps.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sooty
    @MrOldboy said:
    @Ygg: I've found that there isn't that big a difference from med-high-ultra, it only changes a few settings. Other than ubersampling. I turned AA off, left most everything on, that got me to a consistend 40+fps.
    Even with AA on the game is a bit jaggy, not badly so though...well it looks more sharp than jaggy, just really sharp. Looks great tbh.

I've not tried anything less than ultra yet, don't really need to either. :D In a big battle I was getting well over 40FPS so I'm pleased, thought this was going to kill my PC.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Disable Ubersampling, voila, 60+ FPS. 

It's nice to see how a PC title looks in 2011. It's the first in quite a goddamn while, which easily shows. This is like a hundred times sharper and better looking that Crysis 2 for example. No muddy textures, yay!
    StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StrikeALight

I never bother enabling AA for the majority of PC games. Even since I put together my new gaming rig, the extra heat and performance hit just isn't worth it, IMO.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ZimboDK

Definitely turn Uber Sampling off, unless you've got a really high end system. AA off will give a boost too. I turned off Motion Blur, since I think it's way too powerful. SSAO and Vsync off too. Game is running at a pretty steady 30-ish fps. It does dip down to the low 20s at some points though.

Q6600 Quad
    6GB RAM
    Geforce GTX 560 Ti.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ZimboDK
    @RiotBananas: My CPU is rather old, so that might make a difference. But yeah, this game is demanding. I'm playing at 1920x1080 btw.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti

Will definately be interesting to play around with the settings on this one to find an optimal ratio.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Marz

run it at a lower 16:9 resolution, it'll be a little more blurry but your frame rate should go up.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ZimboDK
    @RiotBananas said:
    @ZimboDK I have an intel quad core and I'll be playing on a 19inch 1368x768 Monitor.
    Oh, bear in mind that there are still no profiles from Nvidia yet. I expect an fps boost when they release new drivers.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SlasherMan
    @RiotBananas: You'll be fine at that resolution with medium settings. Those are the settings I'm running for my 8800GT.
    I turned off SSAO, though, and turned on AA and Motion Blur. 30+ FPS most of the time, and still looks pretty good. Would have liked to run it at my screen's native res (1920*1080), but hey, it's a 4 year old card.
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Adamsons
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Animasta

I'm getting 40 fps on high with my 5770, AMD phenom x4 2.6 ghZ and 8 gigs of ram :3

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By thornie_delete

I'm running a GTX580, 8GB Ram, and an i5 2500k @ 4Ghz.  I haven't booted the game up yet (at work all day), but I fully expect to be able to run this game on ultra minus the ubersampling.  If not, then I'll be pretty pissed off for blowing $500 on a video card that can't play the game I wanted play when I built the damn CPU.

picklecannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By picklecannon
    @thornie said:
    I'm running a GTX580, 8GB Ram, and an i5 2500k @ 4Ghz.  I haven't booted the game up yet (at work all day), but I fully expect to be able to run this game on ultra minus the ubersampling.  If not, then I'll be pretty pissed off for blowing $500 on a video card that can't play the game I wanted play when I built the damn CPU.
    Yeah you should have no problems running at ultra (minus ubersampling) at an average 60.
    ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ZimboDK

Okay, so this game likes a fast CPU. Mine was only running at 2.4Ghz, and when I entered Floatsam (the first town), the framerate dropped to 15. Overclocked to 2.89Ghz, and now it runs at at least 30. I could probably push the CPU even higher without any problem.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vitor
    @Adamsons said:

@ZimboDK said:

@RiotBananas said:

@ZimboDK I have an intel quad core and I'll be playing on a 19inch 1368x768 Monitor.

Oh, bear in mind that there are still no profiles from Nvidia yet. I expect an fps boost when they release new drivers.
    The gains on the 275.27s are supposed to be pretty significant for TW2.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/GeForce-Forceware-275.27-Win-7-Vista-x64-download-2727.html
    Not for me unfortunately - tried the moibility beta drivers and performance seems more consistent but not by much. 
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrOldboy

I wonder if AMD will release new drivers, on the last driver they listed Brink as a reason for the new update.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RsistncE
    @ZimboDK said:
    Okay, so this game likes a fast CPU. Mine was only running at 2.4Ghz, and when I entered Floatsam (the first town), the framerate dropped to 15. Overclocked to 2.89Ghz, and now it runs at at least 30. I could probably push the CPU even higher without any problem.
    Guess I'll be oc'ing my CPU to 3.0 then...I have the same CPU as you haha.
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrOldboy

Well I overclocked my XFX HD 5850 to 775/1125 the max my bios allows. With MSI afterburner I have the fan speed at 60%, maintained below 78 degrees celsius in furmark. Gave me a good 10-12 fps boost. Now I can justify leaving AA and vsync on. Some people said they dont notice any tearing, but I doo. I think they left their GPU driver settings for vsync as always on because I definitely notice it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.