Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 26, 2007

The Witcher is an Action Role Playing Game developed by CD Projekt RED and is based on the book "The Last Wish" by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. An Enhanced Edition was released in September, 2008. A director's cut version was released for North America on July 31, 2009.

Anyone read the books?

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By raidingkvatch

I've just finished playing The Witcher and totally loved it; the game's based on a series of novels and short stories by Andrzej Sapkowski, and after playing the game I'm really interested in Geralt's world and where it came from (I'm always interested in knowing source material for anything I like really) so I've been thinking about buying the first novel Blood of Elves, but I wanted to know if anyone else on here's read any of them and whether they're any good.

JoshLarson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JoshLarson

I think the first book is The Last Wish. I loved the game The Witcher which promted me to buy The Last Wish and I enjoyed it. It certainly wasn't the best example of a fantasy book that you can find but it did add background into the world and character of Geralt and some of his friends. Just remember it is translated into english from polish so some sentences can be a bit rough at times.  Blood of Elves is the second book and I plan to purchase that as well when I get my credit card mess sorted out with those idiots at my bank.  

Thanks for reminding me of it because the last time I went to buy it online it wasn't out yet but it is now.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By armaan8014

I read a few lines of the first book once, and enjoyed going back to the world. Somehow I never got around to finishing it. Thanks for reminding me, I'll read it now!

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By RipTheVeins

For what it's worth, I was compelled to read through the entire book ( The Last Wish) yet only made it about 3 or 4 hours into the game... about five months ago.  So yeah, if you really enjoyed the game itself, then the book will definitely add to the experience since I read it before playing and already felt like I knew a great deal about the world and characters despite barely touching The Witcher just by reading The Last Wish.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @JoshLarson: Last wish is a short story collection, Blood of Elves is the first novel, at least according to Wikipedia, and I think the novels are a continuing saga wheras the short stories are more like the adventures of Geralt, however wikipedia could be lying to me (it has happened before).

Good to know that they're worth reading, even if they are a bit hard at times because of the translation, though, thanks.
    Arkham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arkham

Hi, I'm new here, but I saw this topic and wanted to help.  

I've read all the Witcher books, and why, yes, I'm Polish, if you have to ask. :p 
    Here in Poland it once was the most popular fantasy series, we had comic books (absolutely terrible) and even a movie ( even worse. It became somewhat the synonym of absolute crap in Poland. But it can be watched like newly found Ed Wood movie :p)  
    Yeeeeaaaah..Those kinda suck...But the books are essentially awsome. 
    Unfortunately I do not know what books are translated into English, so I will just mention all seven of them. 

"The Last Wish" and "Sword of Fate" are two books composed of short stories. They are fun, intense and quite clever little fellas. Most of them are travesties of popular fairytales. So, basicly we have a Snow White (she goes by some other name, well, come on!) that is a leader of gang composed of seven brutal thougs and things like that. Off course, Geralt solves majority of problems with the grace and subtlety that he is known for.
    Yeah it sounds little campy, but you know, if you summarize something it usually sounds cheesy. In fact the ideas for reasons of those magic conditions or the ways of solving them are usually really, really fun and/or thought-provoking.  I'll just say that many concpets used in the stories are inspired or connected to theories of   Bruno Bettelheim .  If you don't know the guy looki him up. :p 

And there is the Witcher Saga, five books, lots and lots of small letters and no pictures. :p 
    This is the story preceding the game. 
    Basicly there is a number of little countries which are at constant variance with each other and a young, quickly growing and economically strong new Empire of Nilfgard which, in past, has lost the war with the said kingdomes, but seems to be getting stronger recently. 
    And the things get really awkward.  
    There are conspiracies, banquets, ancient prophecies, crude language, swordfights, cool vampires (well, one cool vampire at least), even cooler tragically obese spies and Geralt who just everyone to leave him alone.
    Lots of specific dark humour and even more of the specific dark lack of humour. Yeah, despite loads of cool one- and manyliners the saga is definetly more grim and down to earth.  But the story  is not a hardcore fairytale for a change, it is very, very good. Be ready for good dose of turns and bumps along the way. 

Oh, geez this post is terribly long, and confusing. Sorry for that (and for any language mistkes obviously).  
    I hope I helped at least one bit. 
    Well, all in all I strongly recommend reading the book cos' its fun, dark and offers uniqe feel of Eastern Europe mythology and culture ;) 
    Cheers!

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By shakra

It is available on amazons kindle store, so you can read it on your pc, mac, iphone, ipad, kindle, etc etc. Plust it's only like $6

ChernobylCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By ChernobylCow
    @Arkham: Thanks for your impressions.  This game is on sale for $6.79 at the moment! Yippy.
    shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By shakra

I thought I had read somewhere that an inkeeper gives you books in game you can read that are actually the full novels. 

TRSJabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TRSJabber

@Arkham Thank you for your post.  I found it very helpful.  The Last Wish sounds interesting so I am going to order it from Amazon.com.  The image of the cover says "introducing The Witcher" so I'm going to take that as confirmation that it is the first book in English.  I hope the publication in English follows the same order as it did in Polish.  Sometimes an English publisher will release translations out of order.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By valrog
    @Arkham: Your post explained a lot. Thank you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.