Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 26, 2007

The Witcher is an Action Role Playing Game developed by CD Projekt RED and is based on the book "The Last Wish" by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. An Enhanced Edition was released in September, 2008. A director's cut version was released for North America on July 31, 2009.

Lets discuss about The witcher's story and roleplaying quality

NNecron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NNecron

"CAUTION! SPOILER ALERT BELOW"

My experience with The Witcher was a guilty pleasure. Despite of its technical problems and below average cinematic presentation, I really loved the premise, the protagonist, the story, and the role-playing quality. The game is really buggy and it crashed every time I ran it, transitions between conversations and cut-scenes are awkward, a lot of voice acting isn’t really good, and the combat was mediocre at best. Regardless of these flaws, twists and turns and writings of the story are really fascinating and you will never guess which choices affected what until you see their outcomes, and the outcomes occur at unexpected moments. I think the character interactions and mystery solving are the biggest highlight of the game. 

The concept of witchers alone was enough to draw me into the game because of their training methods and fighting styles. Not many heroes consume drugs to enhance their physical abilities don't you think? The game explains in great detail about their training methods and side effects. Everyone have to go through the Trial of the Grasses in order to become as a witcher. This trial requires a person to consume various alchemical ingredients and survive through the transformation process. There is even detailed explanation about where the witcher’s fighting styles derive from and how they are performed. These details prove how rich and interesting the witcher universe is, and the game even manages to implement tons of dialog choices and branching story line. The moral choices aren't all about killing or helping someone, instead its about building the identity of Gerald (the protagonist) and finding the meaning of his life. The story is more about how to maneuver through the society with various factions and conspiracies surrounding them, and less about sword and sorcery. 2 party sections and one detective part are excellent examples. All these realism and fantasy elements are mixed so well with the gameplay that I cannot imagine an adult player who can tolerate all the flaws I mentioned not enjoying the role-playing and the story of the game. 

I wish there were more interesting characters though. Probably I will be able to reveal some details about rest of the characters, but considering I made love with Triss and not finding much about her, I doubt I will be able to find more about the others. But, characters like Gerald, Alvin, Kalkstein, Dandelion, and Azar Javed are enough to entertain me. Gerald is interesting because he is calm and wise yet troubled man who has to choose whether he should live as a witcher or not (his personality varies depending on your dialog choices).  Alvin is innocent yet mysterious at the same time and he is deeply involved into the main plot.  Kalkstein is kind of like a comic relief but his knowledge about arcane and alchemy really helped Gerald achieving his goals.  Dandelion is one of few people who know about Gerald's past and Dandelion supports him as his best friend.  Azar Javed is menacing and intelligent yet he is so passionate about helping the humans no matter how cruel it's method can be. The Grand Master could have been an interesting one for the same reason as Azar Javed's but he appears only at the very last moment and gets killed in the end so he doesn't get enough screen time.

I saw some comments mentioning how the characters and the story are boring and bland, but I completely disagree for the reasons I stated above. And chapter 2 isn't bad either, since you are always thinking who the real criminal is, and you'll be surprised by whats coming up at the end of the chapter.  After all, the game is based on the well written fantasy novel, so you can't go wrong with the story.  I can't tell if this is the best fantasy story ever, since my first language is Japanese and I am not really experienced with literature, but I can say that this is the best story telling I've ever seen.  Mind you that I've played other story based games like Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, and Dragon Age Origins, so I think I know what I am talking about.  What do you guys think?  Do you agree with me or not?  Either way, let me know why. 

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SlasherMan

Welcome to the GB forums! 
    Nice first post, I agree with you on every point. Can't believe you forgot to mention Zoltan, though. He's quite the colorful character (Polar Tiger roar, 'nuff said :P).

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @NNecron:  I'm halfway through chapter 3 in The Witcher, should i not read this post yet ?
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Just skip the third paragraph. The rest should be spoiler free.
    KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#5  Edited By KillyDarko

Welcome to GB! And great first post, by the way! ^^

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti

I like you.

Please stay.

Regarding the Grandmaster, he actually gets quite a bit of screen time (MAJOR SPOILERS):

Grandmaster is the child Alvin you rescue and let either Triss or Shani raise him. There is a time when Alvin asks you for your opinion on an important event. Your words will somewhat shape him. When you meet him as the Grandmaster he will speak your words back at you. This literally sent chills up my spine, when I realized who he was. Gearalt is basically very heavily responsible for the Grandmaster, it's the reason Alvin/Grandmaster decided to use Witchers as a blueprint for his advanced army to conquer/protect humanity.

NNecron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NNecron
    @Tennmuerti: Thats really interesting and shocking at the same time!  Does his appearance change depending on what Gerald say to Alvin?  For instance, if he said "I'll teach you how to become a witcher", does the Grandmaster dress like one?
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tennmuerti

@NNecron: No his appearance does not change. His views do. You will have some different dialogue options.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By valrog
    @NNecron: Some people wouldn't agree on those "flaws".

@Tennmuerti said:

I like you.

Please stay.

Regarding the Grandmaster, he actually gets quite a bit of screen time (MAJOR SPOILERS):

That part absolutely blew my mind.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

@valrog said:

randmaster is the child Alvin you rescue and let either Triss or Shani raise him. There is a time when Alvin asks you for your opinion on an important event. Your words will somewhat shape him. When you meet him as the Grandmaster he will speak your words back at you. This literally sent chills up my spine, when I realized who he was. Gearalt is basically very heavily responsible for the Grandmaster, it's the reason Alvin/Grandmaster decided to use Witchers as a blueprint for his advanced army to conquer/protect humanity.
    That part absolutely blew my mind.

And the ending where he says, "That sword... is for monsters." made my blood freeze.

Fuuuuuck I forgot how awesome that end was.

That's it, I'm reinstalling Witcher1

NNecron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NNecron
    @valrog: Please explain why some people would disagree.  This is why I brought up this topic in the first place.  I also encourage others to do so.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By valrog
    @NNecron said:
    @valrog: Please explain why some people would disagree.  This is why I brought up this topic in the first place.  I also encourage others to do so.
    Well, I for one, never experienced a single crash in all my time playing The Witcher. I didn't even experience that many bugs to be honest. I don't know about conversation transitions, they seemed fine when I was playing. Last but not least, a lot of people simply loved the combat. I wouldn't go as far as calling it mediocre, it has quite some depth to it, but I can understand why some people don't like it.
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Thule

@NNecron said:

@valrog: Please explain why some people would disagree. This is why I brought up this topic in the first place. I also encourage others to do so.

The flaws you mention make me think you've been playing the original version of the Witcher, rather than the enhanced edition. I had zero technical issues. The voice acting was fine/on par with other games and I thought the combat was challenging and interesting up until the last 20%-30% of the game or so, when everything got really easy because you got really powerful.(I played on hard)

I'm not saying that your criticisms aren't valid. It depends or your own likes and dislikes, but especially the technical issues you've been having confuse me.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By swoxx

@Tennmuerti said:

I like you.

Please stay.

Grandmaster is the child Alvin you rescue and let either Triss or Shani raise him. There is a time when Alvin asks you for your opinion on an important event. Your words will somewhat shape him. When you meet him as the Grandmaster he will speak your words back at you. This literally sent chills up my spine, when I realized who he was. Gearalt is basically very heavily responsible for the Grandmaster, it's the reason Alvin/Grandmaster decided to use Witchers as a blueprint for his advanced army to conquer/protect humanity.

Yeah holy shit, realizing that was such a fucking awesome experience. Incredibly well executed

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ItBeStefYo

@Tennmuerti said:

I like you.

Please stay.

What? The witcher explicitly says at the end its slightly different to the one Alvin has. And anyway I thought I brought up Alvin well :(

Say it ain't so. Have the creators confirmed this>

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By kindgineer

People are saying this is a great post and I want to read it..but spoilers :(

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

@ItBeStefYo:

Not sure what is the difference (that you are referring to)?

Talisman?, I think, it has been a long time for me. :) Then that is easily attributed due to passage of time or events or even simply being modified by that character himself.

You (Geralt) didn't really bring Alvin up fully, Geralt only spent a brief time with him, he just uses your imparted knowledge in his own way. Just like in his own eyes his course of action is completely correct and justifiable and good. Witcher universe is full of grey morality and who is to say he was not right in his own way if misguided in his methods?

I do not know if the creators confirmed this but back when Witcher first came out this theory was very much in agreement of most people the correct one (and pretty much the only one), as there are quite a lot of very obvious purposeful hooks between the characters (some that i did not go into full detail about in my post). It was not really debated being pretty blatant and the only (very) solid explanation for the GM's sudden appearance.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ItBeStefYo

@Tennmuerti: So if this is true why doesn't he recognise the witcher? And how does he age considerably?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tennmuerti

@ItBeStefYo:

He does recognize Geralt. Hence the exact line he throws back at him. It's a pretty much in your face recognition as they come. He just does not go about it as some mustachioed villain would. Spelling it out to Geralt is ultimately inconsequential, nor necessary. In fact GM is also not an evil asshole and he would not torture Gerralt nedlessly by spelling it out to him: "Yo I'm Alvin" now we probably gonna kill each other. If Geralt is in his way of safeguarding humanity (unconvinced of GM's position), so be it they will go against each other based on that merit.

It's a device used quite frequently in literature when two characters meet up again after long time and only one of them recognizes the other, and in a tough (opposing) circumstances the one who knows chooses to keep the other in the dark, with maybe only a subtle hint, either out of respect or unwillingness to inflict more pain on their friend/acquaintance/love/family/whatever

The aging is actually one of the main reasonings why the connection between the 2 characters Alvin and the Grand Master is made in the first place. Alvin has displayed a huge natural magical potential, and anomalies happened around him like shifting/teleporting Geralt away. Just as Alvin suddenly disappears the Grand Master suddenly appears on the world stage. Alvin's temporal shifting "ability" is hinted at in a few lines in the game. Alvin does not control his power fully, and just like he reacted to danger earlier he does so during the end of the chapter after which he is gone, fear and escape from danger are basic survival concepts and his ability manifested to save him. So when he disappeared he basically went back to an earlier time, which in turn made the Order of the Flaming Rose from a small but growing guild into a full blown army of zealots out of nowhere and why GM suddenly had so much power when before no one heard or talked about him (because he did not exist yet). Aging happens over the time it takes him to do this, in the now altered timeline.

Basically: Alvin is a magic anomaly. He goes back in time during the dangerous battle at the end of the next to last act. Starts transforming the Order of Flaming Rose from a normal guild to his own private army and starts experiments based on the Witcher biological principle, because he learns of their ability based on Geralt. Even keeps to certain morals Geralt told him. Tries to force the world under him to safeguard it in his eyes.

It might seem a convoluted explanation but it is only so because I am spelling it out in excruciating detail.

It also is consistent with (i can't remember his name now) one of your acquaintances from the order of the rose changin his attitude quite a bit in a short time etc... There are quite a few pointers to all of the above i wrote and more during the game.

Also for the game epilogue the GM transports Geralt forward in time to witness a potential future for the world. The brutal ice age, and Geralt is fighting the monsters that the GM mutated army was supposed to protect humanity from. Again showing GM's/Alvin ability to affect time to a degree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.