Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 26, 2007

The Witcher is an Action Role Playing Game developed by CD Projekt RED and is based on the book "The Last Wish" by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. An Enhanced Edition was released in September, 2008. A director's cut version was released for North America on July 31, 2009.

Steam sale on The Witcher. Is it worth a break from Skyrim?

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By senorfuzzeh

I don't know a whole lot about The Witcher, Other than everyone telling me its one of the best RPG's ever. It looks interesting from screenshots and videos and everything, but it just looks like another RPG with trolls and fairy tales. Even if it is darker, I feel like I've been playing alot of RPG's lately, and I don't to get burned out on them, since I haven't even finished Skyrim.

And I am In love with Skyrim, but all my friends keep telling me to get The Witcher. I just want your guys Opinions on the game. Is it worth 25 bucks? I could always buy it and hold off on it till a later day.

chw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By chw

It's not one of the daily deals yet, so I'd wait and see if it shows up between now and the 27th. It's not a bad price now, but it has the potential to get further discounted. If it hasn't appeared by the end of the Autumn sale (by the 27th) I'd go for it.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By AiurFlux

The first or second one? Both are fairly good, but the first one might turn some people off because of the complexity and most of the pacing early on. I did like the first one but I absolutely adore the second one though. It's difficult, well made, well paced, has options for how you want to go through it while still setting you on a proper path, looks amazing, and has really interesting fiction as well as fun quests for the most part. I'd get it, but if you feel you could wait for a better deal feel free to do that as well. That way you still can have your Skyrim fix but will eventually get to play another really good and complex RPG.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Deusx

Yeah, it's pretty good. One of the best RPG's I've played this year. It deserves every praise it gets. It's a lot more linear and cinematic than Skyrim but that's not a bad thing. I really recomend it.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5  Edited By Dookysharpgun

If its the first Witcher, then I'd advise against it. I liked it initially, was a really interesting game, but eventually it just got bogged down in mediocrity, and some very 'screw you' plot conveniences that became really tedious as they extended the storyline in a really frustrating way. From what I've heard of the Witcher 2, its an amazing game, and hates new users with a passion, as you're thrown head first into the game without any tutorials. I wouldn't pay 25 quid for the first game, but the second is supposed to be much better.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By senorfuzzeh

Its the second Witcher. I dont really care much for the first from what I've seen.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7  Edited By Giantstalker

You will have a rough time going from Skyrim to The Witcher, even though I love Witcher 1 I'd probably recommend against it. Unless it's like a buck or something (haven't checked the prices), in which case get that shit locked away ASAP

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Dookysharpgun said:

Witcher 2, its an amazing game, and hates new users with a passion, as you're thrown head first into the game without any tutorials.

They updated the Witcher 2 to 2.0. Now it has a fully fledged tutorial section for new people and they changed the combat a bit to be a little more forgiving. Definitely not the same as it was at release.

To the OP, yeah I say give it a shot, it was really fun game for me, and if it's on the cheap why not? Of course I would wait and see if it ends up being a daily deal first.
    altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By altairre

Buy it! Next question, please.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By endaround
    Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Nentisys

I recommend it highly, Witcher 1 too.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By DeF

I have just finished the Witcher 1 today and started Witcher 2

Really liked the first one but the second already plays so much better. I highly recommend it! (even the first one since that is very often included in steam sales for around or less than 5 bucks).

Beautiful game with a major focus on choice and actual consequence! Also, plays fantastic with a 360 pad plugged in!

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Karkarov

Is it worth quitting skyrim before you are done with it to play either Witcher? Short answer? No. The first witcher sucks, I don't care what anyone says about it, horrid combat system that plays like tic tac toe + average story + graphics that were good 5-6 years ago doesn't make a good game today. Witcher 2 is a fine game but mostly over rated. Give it time it will show for a better price if you are still interested buy it then.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By valrog

Both are incredible games.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic

The Witcher is the greatest RPG I've ever played. A must to any RPG/PC fan IMO. 

@senorfuzzeh said:

but it just looks like another RPG with trolls and fairy tales. 

You're in for a treat. In the face!
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    The Witcher is one of the greatest RPG I've ever played. A must to any RPG/PC fan IMO. 

Fixed it for ya. The Witcher, like Skyrim, has one little problem. It's medieval fantasy. Nothing beats post-apocalypse!
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    The Witcher is one of the greatest RPG I've ever played. A must to any RPG/PC fan IMO. 

Fixed it for ya. The Witcher, like Skyrim, has one little problem. It's medieval fantasy. Nothing beats post-apocalypse!
    Ew
    iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

I would say go for it if it comes up during a daily deal. I loved the first one. It is a little dated but once you get past the first few chapters and the game opens up you will not want to put it down. Hoping The Witcher 2 goes on a daily deal so I can pick it up and play it soon.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By Marz

Yes it's easily worth the price of what it is now, if you can get it cheaper by waiting then by all means buy it then... but if you really like RPG games, this is one game you probably should play.  *edit* referring the the Witcher 2 that is.

ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By ryno9881

Yeah, the Witcher one and two are some of the best RPG's ever made.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer

@endaround: That's a bananas price. But I want it on Steam...

DECISIONS!

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By valrog

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Nope, can't see how that's a problem.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AlexW00d

@valrog said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Post apocalyptic gets boring after one game, especially when that one game is Stalker, and nothing matches the world or atmosphere in that game. Medieval fantasy will never get boring. Well, kind of never.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

@AlexW00d said:

@valrog said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Post apocalyptic gets boring after one game, especially when that one game is Stalker, and nothing matches the world or atmosphere in that game. Medieval fantasy will never get boring. Well, kind of never.

For me it gets boring halfway through. Another forest, fort or cave is just as samey to me as post apocalypse. There hasn't been enough sci-fi RPGs, it's a vastly untapped market. You kinda got Mass Effect.... and a bunch of JRPGs? I want more variety and am tired of generic fantasy worlds and post-apocalyptic wastelands.

Elder Scrolls is an exception to me because it is pretty unique. Morrowind was like exploring an alien fantasy world in a sense.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @AlexW00d said:

@valrog said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Exactly, 100% what he said.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bybeach

@MikkaQ said:

@AlexW00d said:

@valrog said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

For me it gets boring halfway through. Another forest, fort or cave is just as samey to me as post apocalypse. There hasn't been enough sci-fi RPGs, it's a vastly untapped market. You kinda got Mass Effect.... and a bunch of JRPGs? I want more variety and am tired of generic fantasy worlds and post-apocalyptic wastelands.

Elder Scrolls is an exception to me because it is pretty unique. Morrowind was like exploring an alien fantasy world in a sense.

With MikkaQ on this. I'm mostly not big on fantasy, but the Sci Fi universes are wide open. Post apocalypse, well, that theme could really use a long nap. Fallout 4 will hopefully be interesting...

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Questionable

Well its on sale now and its only a lousy 40%, il just wait for a GoG sale

Witcher one is only 4 euro tough, shame i already own it o GoG as i much prever the streamlined installation process of Steam

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AlexW00d

For £16 fuck yeah. I paid full price for it and I would happily pay full price again. Do it. ALL OF YOU.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#29  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Apparently the Witcher is pretty good. I've only played an hour or so and it seemed... alright from what I messed with. I've been meaning to play more, but more recent releases have been distracting me as of late.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's an amazing game, so I'd say yes.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DystopiaX

@Questionable said:

Well its on sale now and its only a lousy 40%, il just wait for a GoG sale

Witcher one is only 4 euro tough, shame i already own it o GoG as i much prever the streamlined installation process of Steam

If you're in the US it's 16 dollars on Amazon.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32  Edited By Dookysharpgun

@wolf_blitzer85: Really? Holy crap that's awesome! Maybe I'll actually pick it up and give it a try...

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By DaemonBlack

The Witcher 2 Yes, the Witcher 1, No.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ravenlight

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

FO:NV texture replacement mod for Skyrim? Yes please!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Ravenlight said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

FO:NV texture replacement mod for Skyrim? Yes please!

Meh!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.