Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

The Marsh, Yellow Blocks, Tetromino, pup!

Necrothug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Necrothug

At this point I'm assuming the game has beat me, because I simply do not understand the rules for the yellow block shapes, and worst of all I have no real way of knowing if I have found the area that properly prepares me for the rule. I think it's the marsh, since it's so yellow block focused, but how can you ever be sure? The yellow block rule seems to be pretty prevalent, so I'm sure I need to understand it if I'm going to beat the game, but I am at a standstill. Whatever lesson it is trying to teach me is lost on me. I'm stuck on the red puzzles in the marsh. Can someone please provide some sort of definition of this rule? I just can't comprehend what I am doing wrong.

In my own defense, I've activated several lasers, so other aspects of the game I've had no trouble with.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You'll probably get it in about 10 minutes.

But if you're still real stuck, the most basic rule is you need to surround the yellow shape and the corresponding shape's-worth of blocks. So if it's a 3x1 long piece, you have to surrounding that piece with the yellow shape on it AND the corresponding number of blocks in the same shape. It gets significantly harder than that with a few other rules, but that's the most basic one.

Necrothug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ichthy:Thank you for the help. It definitely got me to think about it a little more.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@necrothug: Slanted pieces can be shapely rotated to your liking, also.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@frostyryan: Might want to put that in spoilers cause someone could stumble in here. iono.

Yeah, the rules to the tetrominos had me going for a while. I thought I had it figured out until I tried the first red ones at the top of the stairs. Couldn't figure the first one out so I walked over to the panels on the gate, nearby. THOSE panels helped kickstart me into understanding one of the biggest rules of the tetrominos. I know you already got an explanation but I'm just going to leave this comment here if someone doesn't want to read the spoiler block information.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I've finished most of the rest of the game, but I just don't understand what the next tutorial section in the Marsh is asking me to do. I've beaten the first tutorial part, crossed the bridge, and done the red puzzles I think the OP is talking about. Then I've done everything but the last panel of the next tutorial section. I just cannot figure out what it wants me to do. Can anyone point me in the right direction to understanding it?

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By davidh219

@bkbroiler: I'm having a hard time figuring out what puzzle you're talking about based on that description. Is the series of panels you're stuck at the end of green, orange, or grey colored?

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidh219: Here's a picture of it. I don't really understand the concept of it. It doesn't seem reflected in the previous panels.

No Caption Provided

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think some of you guys might have missed one of the two tutorial sets BEFORE you cross the bridge.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By davidh219

@bkbroiler: Hmmm. Okay, I think I see what's going on here. The bottom shape is the one tripping you up, right? I'm not sure how exactly to hint at the solution without straight up telling you, other than saying that shape doesn't work how you probably think it does based on the fact that you're having difficulties. The rule you've applied to it is more strict, I guess, than the reality is. Either that or you're treating it like a typical four block square shape, which it's not. Try to figure it out with that. If not, I can try and get more specific.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidh219: yeah, I've seen blocks that fit together to form new blocks, and that was my assumption here. That's what the rest of the panel is basically doing. But it doesn't seem to work. And testing my hypothesis by just trying only to get that block to light up (as the tutorial sections do when you get a certain part of the puzzle right) doesn't seem to have any answers. So I guess it's fully dependent on the other blocks?

I feel like the Tetris area is the most obtuse in terms of actually teaching you what to do. I've gone back to the earlier tutorials and they're so basic that I really can't try anything new on them. I've done as much of the other areas as possible, minus the end game, and that has helped somewhat with my understand of the tetris stuff. but this new type of block just eludes me.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By davidh219

@bkbroiler: Okay, let's give this a shot. The puzzles where you combined shapes told you a lot more. In this puzzle, you know there is space between the two sets of two, but is it clear how much space there is, when compared to the previous ones?

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidh219: To me, it seems like there is two blocks between them. I feel like I thought of that but couldn't figure out how to get the lines to work. I'll try monkeying around again. Thanks!

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By davidh219

@bkbroiler: Yup, that's exactly it! Glad I could help. The game kinda uses your own assumptions against you on that one. I thought there could only be one space between that shape at first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.