Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 29, 2011

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 features a new "Caddie Experience," and for the first time ever, The Masters at Augusta National Golf Club.

Tiger Woods '12: Lessons in How to Not Handle DLC

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Don't hate the digital player, hate the digital download game.
    Recent years have seen a huge boom in the volume of DLC and microtransactions on the market, and by far one of the most active participants in this trend has been EA. Whether it’s through “limited” editions, online passes, pre-order kitsch, or any number of digital downloads, EA has been determined to get consumers to pay $60 and then some for every game purchased.

In general, I haven’t found myself really bothered by the trend because typically none of these digital add-ons and knick-knacks feel like a required component for my enjoyment of the game. In almost all cases, DLC and microstransactions are an “added value” proposition. Maybe they accelerate my pace through the game, make things easier, look cool aesthetically, round out the plot, or just simply increase the amount of gameplay, but as long as they don’t feel like a required missing component, I don’t really care. If I like the game enough, I more than likely will buy this stuff so that I can prolong or increase my enjoyment, but I never want to feel like I’m being penalized for not making the purchase.  

Meh...I can live without your control rod.   [That's what she said]
     Meh...I can live without your control rod. [That's what she said]
    EA has continually blurred the line between DLC and main game content by weaving in offers of digital purchases into gameplay, but again, while it does sometimes feel a bit intrusive and a little too much like aggressive marketing, I’ve been largely unbothered by it. As long as the DLC mission this guy in my camp is trying to sell me is clearly optional and those spiffy plaid golfing slacks or shiny car rims can be obtained through in game means and not just through my wallet, I don’t really care. Hell, I’ve even been able to for the most part overlook the sleaziness of on-disc “downloadable” content.

However, in spite of my relative apathy about the issue, I feel like EA has sort of crossed my line in the digital sand with Tiger Woods PGA Tour ‘12: The Masters. All of the equipment can be purchased with MS points, but I don’t really care about that because it can also be unlocked through just playing the game. I also in principle don’t mind the fact that there are 19 downloadable courses available from day one because I feel like the 16 courses on the disc are more than enough content to justify Tiger Woods ‘12 as a $60 purchase.

Where I begin to take issue is in the pricing of these additional courses and the way they have been integrated into the main career progression. In “Road to the Masters”, the main career mode in this year’s game, once you’ve made your way through the amateur ranks and onto the PGA tour (which only takes about 3-4 rounds of golf), you’re presented with a calendar of events for the upcoming PGA tour season. Among these events are some that take place at DLC courses that you are unable to participate in unless you purchase and download that course.

The problem with not being able to participate in these events is that your AI competitors on the tour don’t have the same restriction. So while you might have to skip a week because you don’t have a particular DLC course, your computer-controlled counterparts will be out on the links potentially earning points towards the season’s Fed-Ex Cup and climbing up the world rankings. This is a situation where you are clearly being penalized for not purchasing DLC, and this is definitely not something that I can abide. Now, the majority of events do take place on the 16 courses included in the game, so you probably do have enough of an opportunity to take number one on the world rankings and win the Fed-Ex Cup, but it can’t be denied that it would certainly be easier to do both if you weren’t handicapped by being forced to skip tour events. My ultimate fear is what happens if I’m going for the 281 consecutive weeks at number one achievement, and I end up getting to 280 weeks, have to sit out of an event that I don’t own the DLC for, and drop down to second place. It’s an edge case that probably wouldn’t happen, but it certainly could happen and that alone is enough to make it a major problem in my opinion. 

K THX BAI! NOW GIMME ALL UR MONIEZ!
    What really makes this issue even worse is that the 19 available DLC courses are quite overpriced in my opinion. If they were in the neighborhood of one dollar a piece, I might be tempted to buy them. Unfortunately, most of them are priced at $4.00 with a few costing as much as $7.00. You can buy them packaged into a $15.00 five course pack and a $35.00 pack with the remaining fourteen, but together that’s nearly as much as I just paid for the full game. So, what the hell EA? I feel like I’m being cheated a bit by not having this DLC, but you’ve made it so overpriced that I can’t really justify buying it. Even if it were bit more reasonably priced, I probably still wouldn’t buy it just based on principle and the fact that I feel like you’re trying a bit too hard to force me to make the purchase.

So, as it stands now, playing Tiger Woods ‘12 makes me feel like I’ve just signed the papers on a new car and the sleazy car salesman across from me has immediately gone into a pitch where he’s trying to make me pay extra for the muffler. Sure, I might be able to get by without it, but it’s going to be a constant nagging concern every time I go for a drive. 

What's it going to take for me to get you into some new DLC missions today? How about if I throw in the protective clear-coat for free?
     What's it going to take for me to get you into some new DLC missions today? How about if I throw in the protective clear-coat for free?
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Recent years have seen a huge boom in the volume of DLC and microtransactions on the market, and by far one of the most active participants in this trend has been EA. Whether it’s through “limited” editions, online passes, pre-order kitsch, or any number of digital downloads, EA has been determined to get consumers to pay $60 and then some for every game purchased.

In general, I haven’t found myself really bothered by the trend because typically none of these digital add-ons and knick-knacks feel like a required component for my enjoyment of the game. In almost all cases, DLC and microstransactions are an “added value” proposition. Maybe they accelerate my pace through the game, make things easier, look cool aesthetically, round out the plot, or just simply increase the amount of gameplay, but as long as they don’t feel like a required missing component, I don’t really care. If I like the game enough, I more than likely will buy this stuff so that I can prolong or increase my enjoyment, but I never want to feel like I’m being penalized for not making the purchase.  

Meh...I can live without your control rod.   [That's what she said]
     Meh...I can live without your control rod. [That's what she said]
    EA has continually blurred the line between DLC and main game content by weaving in offers of digital purchases into gameplay, but again, while it does sometimes feel a bit intrusive and a little too much like aggressive marketing, I’ve been largely unbothered by it. As long as the DLC mission this guy in my camp is trying to sell me is clearly optional and those spiffy plaid golfing slacks or shiny car rims can be obtained through in game means and not just through my wallet, I don’t really care. Hell, I’ve even been able to for the most part overlook the sleaziness of on-disc “downloadable” content.

However, in spite of my relative apathy about the issue, I feel like EA has sort of crossed my line in the digital sand with Tiger Woods PGA Tour ‘12: The Masters. All of the equipment can be purchased with MS points, but I don’t really care about that because it can also be unlocked through just playing the game. I also in principle don’t mind the fact that there are 19 downloadable courses available from day one because I feel like the 16 courses on the disc are more than enough content to justify Tiger Woods ‘12 as a $60 purchase.

Where I begin to take issue is in the pricing of these additional courses and the way they have been integrated into the main career progression. In “Road to the Masters”, the main career mode in this year’s game, once you’ve made your way through the amateur ranks and onto the PGA tour (which only takes about 3-4 rounds of golf), you’re presented with a calendar of events for the upcoming PGA tour season. Among these events are some that take place at DLC courses that you are unable to participate in unless you purchase and download that course.

The problem with not being able to participate in these events is that your AI competitors on the tour don’t have the same restriction. So while you might have to skip a week because you don’t have a particular DLC course, your computer-controlled counterparts will be out on the links potentially earning points towards the season’s Fed-Ex Cup and climbing up the world rankings. This is a situation where you are clearly being penalized for not purchasing DLC, and this is definitely not something that I can abide. Now, the majority of events do take place on the 16 courses included in the game, so you probably do have enough of an opportunity to take number one on the world rankings and win the Fed-Ex Cup, but it can’t be denied that it would certainly be easier to do both if you weren’t handicapped by being forced to skip tour events. My ultimate fear is what happens if I’m going for the 281 consecutive weeks at number one achievement, and I end up getting to 280 weeks, have to sit out of an event that I don’t own the DLC for, and drop down to second place. It’s an edge case that probably wouldn’t happen, but it certainly could happen and that alone is enough to make it a major problem in my opinion. 

What really makes this issue even worse is that the 19 available DLC courses are quite overpriced in my opinion. If they were in the neighborhood of one dollar a piece, I might be tempted to buy them. Unfortunately, most of them are priced at $4.00 with a few costing as much as $7.00. You can buy them packaged into a $15.00 five course pack and a $35.00 pack with the remaining fourteen, but together that’s nearly as much as I just paid for the full game. So, what the hell EA? I feel like I’m being cheated a bit by not having this DLC, but you’ve made it so overpriced that I can’t really justify buying it. Even if it were bit more reasonably priced, I probably still wouldn’t buy it just based on principle and the fact that I feel like you’re trying a bit too hard to force me to make the purchase.

So, as it stands now, playing Tiger Woods ‘12 makes me feel like I’ve just signed the papers on a new car and the sleazy car salesman across from me has immediately gone into a pitch where he’s trying to make me pay extra for the muffler. Sure, I might be able to get by without it, but it’s going to be a constant nagging concern every time I go for a drive. 

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Cirdain

<3 the images

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm really, REALLY starting to get tired of the nickle and diming that DLC brings. Its starting to get to the point where some games want you to pay 10-15 dollars more just for a complete experience. Withholding content from a full-priced experience and slapping it on as DLC is a really filthy practice that needs to go away. Unlike yourself, once EA put in the buyable cheats, I really started to get pissed.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By floodiastus

Yeah Tiger Woods 12 is a no buy, also because they changed the control scheme to be worse and DID NOT include any coop-campaign/tour which they even had back in -04. 

Also the caddy is just pointless and dumb

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " I'm really, REALLY starting to get tired of the nickle and diming that DLC brings. Its starting to get to the point where some games want you to pay 10-15 dollars more just for a complete experience. Withholding content from a full-priced experience and slapping it on as DLC is a really filthy practice that needs to go away. Unlike yourself, once EA put in the buyable cheats, I really started to get pissed. "
    Name some games where you don't get the full experience if you don't buy DLC. Most DLC wouldn't even be in the game if there was no way to put DLC on a marketplace, even day 1 stuff is made most of the time after the game is complete.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @President_Barackbar: 
    As long as I don't personally get that lesser-than feeling like something integral to the game is missing, I don't mind something being DLC.

As far as buying cheats with real money, I feel like that's something that doesn't diminish my experience with a game. I don't really agree with the practice in principle, but since I don't feel like I'm who that's being marketed to anyway, I just try to ignore it.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

And it all started when people were cool with buying 5 dollar horse armor.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PixelPrinny

Well said. I can't really think of anything to add to the discussion, but I certainly agree with you 100%.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By pickassoreborn

I'm interested in the reaction to Mortal Kombat's "day one DLC" and how people are annoyed about how that DLC should have been included with the game. I'm not sure what the beef is - I'm more angry at the much more evil practice of the past of DLC unlock codes. 108k of pure EVIL.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @wolf_blitzer85: 
    Horse armor might have started a bad trend, but most consumers don't seem to have taken any notice. Just take a look at how many alternate costume packs are consistently in the top downloads section on Xbox Live.
    generalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By generalgrey

I completely agree with the original post.  It's as though they built the game and then went in and literally removed content to fit a DLC strategy.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Ramone

That is taking it too far. Diminishing the single player experience by locking certain parts behind DLC is fucked, majorly.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bhhawks78

Stuff like this makes me not give 2 shits when publishers complain about used games or piracy.  At this point anything out of EA not from bioware I'll intentionally only buy used even if it's only the typical 10$ off because I don't want them to have a dime from me.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @GeneralGrey:  
    As I said in my original post, I think 16 courses is certainly enough to justify the original purchase price. The only thing that makes those 19 courses feel like required components is the fact that they pop up on your career event schedule. All EA would have to do to fix this situation is either just omit those weeks entirely if you don't own the DLC course or make the event take place on a different venue that is on the disc or has been completely voluntarily purchased.
    Scribbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Scribbly

Great blog, EA is getting over the top with the paid DLC nonsense... But people keep buying it, so it's not going away I guess.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @Smiley26: 
    I don't want DLC to go away. I think it can be a fantastic way to expand the experience of a game. It's only when it gets shoved down my throat and marked up to an insane degree that I have a problem with it.
    generalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By generalgrey
    @Chaser324:  
    I should've phrased my response better.  I didn't mean that the 16 courses on disc are insufficient in any respect.  I was merely remarking at the strangeness of the DLC courses being included in the season mode, in that the game appears as though it was built with those courses included, but then had them removed.  I don't feel cheated or anything, I just find that a bit odd.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Chaser324: 

I wholeheartedly agree with your stance on DLC. I usually just say fuck it. Sure it'll get on my OCD nerves to not go on the DLC quest you left the start of in my game, but whatever I guess.

But there's a line and EA clearly crossed it with Tiger Woods 12. What a crock of fucking shit.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jadeskye
    @CL60 said: 
    Name some games where you don't get the full experience if you don't buy DLC. Most DLC wouldn't even be in the game if there was no way to put DLC on a marketplace, even day 1 stuff is made most of the time after the game is complete. "
    Thats absolutely true CL60 but you must agree that with stuff like courses for tiger this stuff was clearly finished WAY before the game went gold. This is nickel and diming which again, isn't nesseserally a bad thing without the context of the OP.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Just for additional context, the easiest way to qualify for the Masters in the game is to make it into the top 100 in the world. I was able to just barely scrape my way to #96 the week before the Masters to qualify. If some of the randomization behind the scenes had gone a bit differently, I easily could have been on the outside looking in and unable to enter the tournament. However, if I'd not had to skip the event the second week of the season, I most likely could have comfortably secured a spot in the top 100 and guaranteed myself entry into the season's first major.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude

I bought Tiger Woods 12 for the Wii for two reasons; motion controls and and not having to download overpriced courses for the Xbox 360 version. Of course, I get low-rez courses with very little texture and no grass, oh well.

Tiger Woods Online is like that as well. But you play for free and add money later to play everything. On a machine like the Xbox 360, EA should sell a core game for $19.99. No online and very few courses. You could buy the online components and course packs as you wish... for a price.

I'm always reminded of this video when it comes to the future of DLC.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @Claude: 
    Somehow I think if EA switched over to a pricing model like that, you would end up paying way more for an equivalent experience in the long run.
    LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By LegalBagel

Agreed with this crossing the line.  I thought about purchasing this for my Dad and the DLC situation has changed my mind.  Giving someone a present where a few weeks into their career they have to pay more money to play it properly does not sit well with me.  Sure, it's just a matter of details in terms of how they integrate it into their career mode, but those details matter. 

Though I'm sure EA has worked out how much they'll lose in sales for people who actually pay attention to this stuff and it's far outweighed by people who just by the new golf game regardless and may end up buying DLC.

Haxim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Haxim

I think you're overstating the gameplay impact somewhat. Over the course of my season there were 3 events that prompted me for DLC, hardly a substantial amount that affected my standings on the FedEx leaderboard in any meaningful way. One of those events was even the last event in the season, after the FedEx cup.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @Haxim:
    I think it's 6 out of 25 events every season take place on DLC courses. Two of them are always the same course and the other four will rotate between all of the other courses.

While I agree that you can still win the FedEx cup and maintain a first place world ranking if you're winning all the other events, it still doesn't make what EA is doing right or even something that should be ignored. Also, there are quite a few people that have won every event prior to the Masters in their first season and were not able to make it into the top 100 to qualify and ended up having to spend several hours clearing out all of the Masters Moments to get an exemption.
    Haxim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Haxim
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By CharleyTony

I am late to this topic but I just bought the game on sale this week. It is pretty crazy that they made 50$ worth of DLC courses and included them in the career (making them almost manditory).

I guess that's why my character turned pro after 2 or 3 events. EA is really making it easy to skip over their games. If I had bought PGA Tour 12 at 60$, I would have been really angry. After getting if, new, for about 17$, I kinda find it hilarious. I guess it wont take me long to "finish" this game.

On another topic, I was hesitating on getting Syndicate for 30$ (new), but since EA themselves said the game was a failure, how long will it be before they disconect they online gameplay for this, mostly online, game ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.