Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Time Travel

Concept »

The concept of a character leaping forwards or backwards in time.

What's Your View on Whether We Should Use Time Travel?

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zonerover
    zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By zonerover

So in light of Singularity, I've put together a poll on time travel with an extensive range of opinions about whether we should research and use time travel. Personally I think its too dangerous to even consider at all, but I'm not going to stop scientists doing their research into black holes since there's plenty of other reasons they could be doing that. I'm voting for E/2.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Nasar7

Time Travel could only be used for evil.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

This is a bad topic, you should go back in time and unmake it :o

Also, you did not vote E; I voted E and I was the only one voting for it so far =/

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zonerover
    @BeachThunder said:
    " This is a bad topic, you should go back in time and unmake it :o  Also, you did not vote E; I voted E and I was the only one voting for it so far =/ "
    Just did it.
    Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Glak

Don't mess with time, always a bad idea
    Either it ends up screwing up the future or causes the future to be how it is

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Nothing good would come from time travel.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By guiseppe

Wouldn't this question be better asked at a time when we actually canuse it? If we were able to develop a means of travelling through time, I doubt it would even be attempted if it was deemed too dangerous. Regardless of whether or not we ever will, I think it should be researched for the purposes of learning about time and space, and to better understand the universe and the forces it contains.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zonerover
    @Atomasist said:
    " Nothing good would come from time travel. "
    While I voted for E/2, I guess some good must come out of it. It's just a matter of whether those good things would eventually lead to some unforseen negatives. If one guy bought a medicine from the future to save their grandmother, perhaps that's fine? However, how many others would be tempted at doing the same thing? Personally its those knockon effects which lead me to saying that we shouldn't ever work out the details of this.

@Glak said:
    " Don't mess with time, always a bad idea Either it ends up screwing up the future or causes the future to be how it is "
    If it was "the future" and you were happy, but you found out that the happiness was caused by someone else altering your current situation, would that cause you to be unhappy?
    zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zonerover
    @guiseppe said:

" Wouldn't this question be better asked at a time when we actually canuse it? If we were able to develop a means of travelling through time, I doubt it would even be attempted if it was deemed too dangerous. Regardless of whether or not we ever will, I think it should be researched for the purposes of learning about time and space, and to better understand the universe and the forces it contains. "

On the issue of working it out when we can use the technology, I think that we really should be working out these problems before we ever have the technology to do this. On a discussion on cloning that happened about two weeks ago on Giant Bomb, here's what I said.

@Tennmuerti said:

"there are still huge technical issues to solve first before we even get to the stage of asking: "Is it OK to clone a human?"

If you don't mind me quoting myself:

The only way we can solve these challenges is to start working on the problem now. When movies like I Robot show us a far flung future in which robots are helping people in all aspects of their lives, many people forget than in many respects this is already happening - its just that robots don't take human form and are not able to emulate the full range of functions like humans quite yet. If we don't work these things out soon, one day we might just find ourselves with a cloned human being without any legal, moral or ethical frameworks sorted out. That scenario would be a real mess.

If something has the potential to screw everybody, there has to be the guidelines set up before we even consider using the technology. Scientists can't be certain as to what may or may not result from their work, so while I'm all for more research into time, space and all that stuff, I don't think I would personally trust a scientist who came up to me in 50 years and said they could take me back into the past because they thought it wasn't dangerous.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By guiseppe
    @zonerover:  But wouldn't the technology have to be there first to even be able to set up guidelines about using it? We can't work out the problems before we know what they might be, and to find that out, there has to be some research, development and testing done, no? Even if said testing wouldn't be on or with any living being, it could still be deemed too dangerous to even try if no one knows what might happen. Playing with the forces of the universe without knowing what the consequences might be isn't something I think anyone would do. Then again, without trying, no one could ever know, so it's a win some, lose some situation. Possibly with catastrophic concequences.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You do realize that it is 100% IMPOSSIBLE to travel back in time, right? The only way time travel is possible at all is moving at the speed of light, and that could only bring you forward as that is the only direction the universe moves in (backwards is a human concept). The only way you could conceivably attempt it is if you found a wormhole that connected two different points of space time. Even then, you'd have to figure out a way to go through it.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#13  Edited By Jazz

Each time you change the past you create a separate timeline, thus bringing a multiverse into effect. 
    That would lead to Superboy punching walls, and we all know how that goes.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i think its impossible

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.