Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

TIS-100

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jul 20, 2015

TIS-100 is a programming puzzle game developed by Zachtronics.

Recommended for programmery-ey thinkers

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've never posted a real review on here, but in case anyone randomly hears about this game and is curious what a duder thinks, it's super-fun. I'm not spoiling anything by saying that it's pretty much exactly an assembly coding competition. You compete with (I assume) anonymous Internet peers to come up with the best solution by three metrics to programming problems. In the course of solving those problems, you'll discover malfunctioning "cores" which when inspected reveal nuggets of information about the computer's history and the world around it. There's a good diversity (in at least the first dozen problems I've unlocked) of problems, and as an experienced assembly programmer I ran into many fun head-scratchers. If you enjoyed the developer's previous work SpaceChem,and have an interest in programming, this is a really easy-to-recommend early-access buy.

Makayu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds kind of cool, as some one who's not a programmer but interested in learning would you recommend it? Or is it something to dense for me to get any real use out of?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Nice, assembly coding seems intimidating but this sounds fun. It's weird that he finally made a programming game themed with actual programming. Thanks for the recommendation!

Stilblad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@makayu: I would give it a try. The assembly language it uses is really simple. The complexity of the problems comes from the interesting architecture of the nodes and how they are connected. Also if any of you guys want to add me on Steam in order to compete with each other on the challenge my steam community link is: steamcommunity.com/id/stilblad

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stilblad said:

@makayu: I would give it a try. The assembly language it uses is really simple. The complexity of the problems comes from the interesting architecture of the nodes and how they are connected. Also if any of you guys want to add me on Steam in order to compete with each other on the challenge my steam community link is: steamcommunity.com/id/stilblad

I would agree that it's totally accessible to non-programmers. The really cool thing that this game does is creating puzzles that are (so far, at least) straightforward to solve in your head, but difficult to reason about with limited storage per node and interesting node layouts. The game perfectly explores the challenges of parallel execution in a pretty friendly way. I'm excited to get to the problems that use additional components like stack storage, referenced in the manual.

Makayu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatdudeguy: @stilblad: Alright cool! I'll defiantly give it a try then, problem solving is one of my favorite things to do so this should be right up my alley

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Adding this to my wishlist. Looks confusing, but I feel like it's one of those games that once I figure out, I'll be entranced by it.

Avatar image for pleasefilloutfield
    pleasefilloutfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has a lot of replay value due to the solution optimizing. I only have got to the third row.

It's also very similar to Jahooma's LogicBox (both on Kongregate and online), but I would say that that game is better for non-programmers. Great indie title.

I would also like to point out that TIS starts off with a manual, but if you want quicker information, you can press F1 for a brief explanation on things.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Zachtronics Industries: The master(s?) of making you feel like a complete moron for an hour and then feel like the smartest person alive for five minutes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.