Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Set in a far-flung, mech-filled future, Titanfall is the first first-person shooter built by Respawn Entertainment, the studio formed by ex-employees of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

Terrible performance on a relatively solid machine?

Jertje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hi all,

I got Titanfall earlier this week, and am enjoying it quite a bit. One thing which is confusing me however, is that I cannot get anywhere near decent performance out of the game. The oddest thing is that my system is not even sweating while I run the game - I mean I seriously don't even hear the fans kicking in and especially my GPU temperature does nothing during a long session.

I'm running the following system:

Intel Core i5 3570k @4.00ghz
    NVidia GTX 560 Ti
    8GB RAM (Corsair DDR3)
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD (for what it's worth mentioning the drive it's installed on)

The game runs at 60fps/1080p with absolutely everything set to minimum. You could say this is playable then, except I honestly can't tell what's going on in any match due to everything looking like... well... dogshit. Performance stays decent when bumping up lightning quality, ragdoll effects and such (40-50fps mark), but once I increase the texture memory to medium --or shadow quality to high-- I'm down into the 20-30fps zone. Now I'm not saying my 2012 machine is a powerhouse by modern standards, but come on? 20fps at low/medium settings?

And, as I mentioned - my PC is not bothered at all. Christ, I hear the fans come on playing South Park: Stick of Truth (which is basically a jpeg). Titanfall does nothing to my system except bog down. Is it purely down to the 1GB memory on the GPU?

Does anyone have similar experiences, or solutions? Cheers.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GaspoweR

@jertje Other duders can probably diagnose this better than I can but perhaps it may be due to your graphics card. Have you tried increasing textures while just keeping everything relatively low or turned off?

EDIT: Have you also tried installing the beta drivers for your graphics card? I remember that Nvidia released new drivers shortly after the release of Titanfall that addressed certain issues with their cards running the game.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I play on fairly high settings and my computer is not even that good. Insane textures and mid to high the rest of the settings besides shadows and it runs decently. So I figure if you have a good PC it should run it no problems. Maybe it's your connection to the server?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play on fairly high settings and my computer is not even that good. Insane textures and mid to high the rest of the settings besides shadows and it runs decently. So I figure if you have a good PC it should run it no problems. Maybe it's your connection to the server?

I doubt that's a server side issue since it was described by the OP that it looked shitty.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Franstone

As mentioned, check out which driver version is recommended for Titanfall.
    I just looked quick and saw their latest "release" driver came out on 3/10.
    Also worth mentioning, a buddy of mine had some horrible Battlefield 4 performance and found that the Nvidia software was recording his gameplay.
    Think it's called Nvidia Shadow-something-or-other.
    Guess it was on by default when he installed the "Nvidia Experience" software suite.

Edit: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-335-23-whql-titanfall-drivers

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NeoAthanasius

I had the exact same problem as you did with Titanfall. I ended up selling my 560 on Amazon and replacing it with a 760FTW. The game is now butter smooth and constant 60FPS on very high. For me it was certainly the video card.

Before I replaced my 560, I had to dial down the resolution to 920p and play on low settings to get decent FPS. Now that I can play with higher detail and smooth FPS, I've actually gotten pretty decent at playing the game. Haha!

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jertje: another reason I think the problem would be fixed with a new GPU is that the rest of your rig is more than competent to run the game maxed out. My poor 560 just couldn't cut it on higher detail levels.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the same card and an i7 and had stuttering when I first started playing. This eliminated any stuttering so it might be worth a shot for you too.

Jertje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm using the latest drivers (and have re-installed them completely once, just to be on the safe side) - and my ping is generally below 20ms.

It must be the GPU, but there are plenty of video's on YouTube of people running near-maximum settings with the same card so I'm not willing to hand over my wallet somewhere just yet. ;)

@counterclockwork87, what amount of VRAM does your GPU have? I'm thinking this is more significant than anything else for Titanfall...

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GaspoweR

@franstone said:

Also worth mentioning, a buddy of mine had some horrible Battlefield 4 performance and found that the Nvidia software was recording his gameplay.

Think it's called Nvidia Shadow-something-or-other.

Guess it was on by default when he installed the "Nvidia Experience" software suite.

Edit: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-335-23-whql-titanfall-drivers

It's probably not going to be a Shadowplay issue since the OP's card isn't supported (GTX 650 or higher is required).

Jertje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jertje

Well, one part of the problem was found. Somehow my pagefile was set to 0. I probably did that when I got tight on space on the SSD ;) silly move, but hey...

It's now sort of playable on medium texture resolution, but when I look toward the center of the (larger) maps my framerate goes down to 20-30 again. It must be the GPU memory being maxed, so I'll look into a new card this weekend. The next problem is fitting an even longer card in my case in the first place. I'd probably have to hack out part of the HDD bay. Good fun :)

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jertje: Have fun with the video card shopping! Also, good luck with any possible case modding. :-) My new card was just long enough to make it. It was very close!

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Steadying

I have the same setup as you and my frame rate in the beta was crap until I turned off Vsync. No idea why, but it totally destroyed my FPS. With that off, I was able to play on high settings with around 60 FPS at 1080p. Didn't have the textures set to insane or whatever, though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Justin258

@jertje: My brother played the beta on high, 1360x768, with a 1GB 7770, and his ran just fine. Are you absolutely certain there's not an option somewhere that you should turn off?

Unless you're certain that you want and can afford a new video card, in which case this is as good an excuse as any.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

My framerate is fine half the time, and crap the otherhalf, i have the same setup as you 8gb ram, nvidia gtx 560ti and an I5, but im also streaming from giantbomb to my second monitior split from my 560. So im essentaly running 3840 x 1080.

Im running textures on high, vsync off, and get a ping of 10-18 seconds. I am also using my Western Digital Black. I do find that Titanfall will crash when my computer over heats, so it might be over heating your rig, make sure its cool. That could effect your graphics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.