Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Set in a far-flung, mech-filled future, Titanfall is the first first-person shooter built by Respawn Entertainment, the studio formed by ex-employees of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

To what extent is this total bs?

• 58 results
    JasonLeeson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By JasonLeeson

"It comes down to quality, not quantity. We have a fantastic relationship with Microsoft. It just boiled down to, okay, how can we hit this as hard as can and get it on as many platforms as possible and deliver the quality, the 60 hertz, out of the gate? That was the goal."

1. PS4 has the same x86 architecture as the XONE & PC.
    2. PS4 is very probably more powerful than the XONE, if not, at the very least, equally as powerful.
    3. Countless developers have said it's not even 1/10th the effort/development time to transfer the code to any given platform this generation.

So with all that in mind, what is actually stopping a PS4 version of Titanfall? Was the 'We have a fantastic relationship with Microsoft' sentence just read-between-the-lines code for:

'Look guys, we are a new studio with a new IP; Microsoft are giving us some guaranteed cash right off the bat. Just chillax, we'll have an 'enhanced edition' ready for PS4 as soon as Microsoft's contract says we can.'

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You just answered your own question.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That was pointless .

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4 chaser324  Moderator

Yeah, you answered your own question. They're a new studio that could probably use some upfront capital, and Microsoft was willing to get behind their pedigree and provide them with some funding to in exchange for some sort of exclusivity window.

JasonLeeson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surely I must be missing something. Surely it can't be this rotten.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By zaccheus

Well that's all wrapped up then.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

WWAAIIITTT a second here, are you saying that console manufacturers are giving money hats to developers?

ALERT TEH PRESSEZZZ!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Funkydupe

You made a funny. :D

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chaser324  Moderator

@jasonleeson: What do you find so rotten about it? New studios need money. Microsoft was willing and able to provide some, but of course, they expect something in exchange for that investment. That's the way business is done.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

An exchange of goods and/or services for monetary gain.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Well, they have to pay their bills somehow.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surely I must be missing something. Surely it can't be this rotten.

Rotten? Its called business...

JasonLeeson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Totally agree with everything you just said, only applied to their publisher EA. Publishers investing upfront for a return feels like legit business.

However, Microsoft paying for it not to come out on PS4 out the gate feels fucked this generation. Last gen there was kind of an excuse with CELL vs. PowerPC...there was a legit technical reason for games to focus on one platform. This time it's pure money. That's my issue.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324:

However, Microsoft paying for it not to come out on PS4 out the gate feels fucked this generation. Last gen there was kind of an excuse with CELL vs. PowerPC...there was a

legit technical reason

for games to focus on one platform. This time it's

pure money

. That's my issue.

But its ok for Sony to buy exclusives?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@jasonleeson: Even though cross gen development is far easier because of the similar architectures, you still don't get the PS4 version for free when you develop an Xbox One game or vice versa.

At the end of the day though, it really is just business. Microsoft didn't swindle or coerce Respawn into this deal. Respawn did the math and decided the exclusivity window was worth it for the investment. Developing AAA games isn't getting any cheaper.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DharmaBum

They're done with P2P multiplayer, and Microsoft made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

I personally talked to both Microsoft and Sony and explained that we need to find a way to have potentially hundreds-of-thousands of dedicated servers at a price point that you can’t get right now. Microsoft realized that player-hosted servers are actually holding back online gaming and that this is something that they could help solve, and ran full-speed with this idea.

http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/

JasonLeeson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: Now now, I didn't say that.

You HEAVILY implied that. You think stuff PS4 on it exclusive/timed they did not pay for?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By morningstar
    viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By viking_funeral

I'd bet money that Respawn / EA approached Microsoft, and not the other way around, but the game is also coming to the PC, so it's not like you need to get an Xbone.

@the_laughing_man said:

But its ok for Sony to buy exclusives?

It's only okay if your team does it. You know how that works.

JasonLeeson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: I guess I'm just bummed that EA couldn't put up the cash to get it out on PS4/XONE/PC day-and-date and just let the chips fall where they may (in terms of what system people decide to buy on the strength of it. I'm not one of those people, but they are certainly out there.)

It's interesting to take a purely analytic look at: Where the fuck is the line actually drawn between what's classed as a straight up bribe and a next-gen 3rd party exclusivity deal. That shit starts to get real grey area.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By RawknRo11a

Yea, it's a "timed exclusive". They happen all the time, don't know why so many people are confused...

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@chaser324:

I guess I'm just bummed that EA couldn't put up the cash to get it out on PS4/XONE/PC day-and-date and just let the chips fall where they may (in terms of what system people decide to buy on the strength of it. I'm not one of those people, but they are certainly out there.)

It's interesting to take a purely analytic look at: Where the fuck is the line actually drawn between what's classed as a

straight up bribe

and a next-gen 3rd party exclusivity deal. That shit starts to get real grey area.

Here's the thing: Respawn is an independent studio. Their deal with EA is like that of the EA Partners stuff. Their funding had to come from somewhere, and Microsoft stepped up and either made an offer, or bested Sony's offer.

I would bet that it came down to choosing a horse to back. Sony picked Bungie and MS picked Respawn. Granted, what MS gets out their deal is considerably greater than what Sony is getting with Destiny, but they each want a flagship multiplayer game, and they each chose a different game

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt EA would publish the game on PS4 after the exclusivity window closes. I mean, they want to be loyal and surely they don't need any more money? Right? Right?

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hold the phone here...a console exclusive?

What?

Dude, what???

Shut it down video games are DONE

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you seriously asking why there are console exclusives?

Am i allowed to bitch about not being able to play The Last of Us? What the fuck naughty dog?! why not just make it for xbox?! This guy said its super easy!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Is Titanfall the new Bayonetta 2? Should I expect petitions on change.org soon?

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the hell are you trying to say? Microsoft got an exclusive franchise. Is their something wrong with that?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, it's like the reality of business are something for Respawn to consider...

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@hailinel said:

Soon? I'm sure hundreds of Titanfall on PS4 online petitions have already been created and summarily dismissed.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

For-profit businesses making decisions based on money? Outrage!

JasonLeeson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JasonLeeson

I totally get that it's business. But I just wish there was a developer out there with the balls to admit it.

Fuck all this 'We're so exited to bring our fans the BLA BLA BLA'. Just straight up come out and say 'People are gonna buy the fuck outta this game. We predict a metric fuckton of cash all up in our faces by the end of this fiscal year.'

Is there a company like that anywhere?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Andorski

I totally get that it's business. But I just wish there was a developer out there with the balls to admit it.

Fuck all this 'We're so exited to bring our fans the BLA BLA BLA'. Just straight up come out and say 'People are gonna buy the fuck outta this game. We predict a metric fuckton of cash all up in our faces by the end of this fiscal year.'

Is there a company like that anywhere?

You don't garner good business relations by taking money from the hands of one company and spitting in their face by saying "we're going to promote the fact that we will try to release on your competitor's platform."

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sinusoidal

It's the same story with any exclusive these days. Especially in the light of just how similar the consoles of this generation, and the next are. The only incentive for a developer to create an exclusive game is for the maker of that console to subsidize them the income they are losing by not putting it on multiple platforms. Unless you're talking small indie developer who might not be able to publish on more than one platform due to lack of porting ability or monetary considerations.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By Grissefar

Since it is EA publishing, the good thing is that it is probably just a matter of a year or so before it comes to PS4, which still sucks sort of a dick.

The more relevant concern though is now long can Respawn keep EA at bay? How long before Titanfall 2 gets consumed by the incredible blandless that permeates every EA game ever. Just thinking of Dead Space 3 and Fuse sends chills down my spine man. Not even talking about the free to play microtransaction nicke and diming hell either, which will almost certainly become a giant problem some time in the future as well.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Buy an Xbone duder if you wanna play Titanfall so bad. :)

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonleeson: Respawn wants money to make their game. Microsoft wants a game that will sell consoles. They come to an agreement where everyone wins. What exactly is shady about the whole thing? I'm not sure where you're from but over here in North America we're not really that pumped about communism.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@hailinel said:

Soon? I'm sure hundreds of Titanfall on PS4 online petitions have already been created and summarily dismissed.

You know, you're right. What was I thinking?

@jasonleeson said:

@chaser324:

I guess I'm just bummed that EA couldn't put up the cash to get it out on PS4/XONE/PC day-and-date and just let the chips fall where they may (in terms of what system people decide to buy on the strength of it. I'm not one of those people, but they are certainly out there.)

It's interesting to take a purely analytic look at: Where the fuck is the line actually drawn between what's classed as a

straight up bribe

and a next-gen 3rd party exclusivity deal. That shit starts to get real grey area.

Here's the thing: Respawn is an independent studio. Their deal with EA is like that of the EA Partners stuff. Their funding had to come from somewhere, and Microsoft stepped up and either made an offer, or bested Sony's offer.

I would bet that it came down to choosing a horse to back. Sony picked Bungie and MS picked Respawn. Granted, what MS gets out their deal is considerably greater than what Sony is getting with Destiny, but they each want a flagship multiplayer game, and they each chose a different game

And this in mind, I really can't fault Respawn for cutting this deal with Microsoft. The EA Partners program, while a great idea that resulted in quality titles, did absolutely nothing to market or promote those titles in a meaningful way.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Titanfall 2 on PS4, does not mean the same thing that Titanfall will ever-ever come to PS4.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

money hat.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
    No Caption Provided

Oh thank God. There are four different change.org petitions for a PS4 release, with one made by a bastardly named gentleman "MLG_Gunnplay". Wonderful.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Who cares? Odds are Titanfall will run better on a PC anyways. Upgrade instead of buying a console just for a first person shooter where the gimmick is climbing into larger robotic men with bigger guns.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By Nardak

This is normal PR talk. Things with Microsoft are peachy until the point that the game is not anymore an exclusive to that platform.

Even Phil Fish was telling us how wonderful Microsoft was as a publisher until his publishing contract with Microsoft ran out.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I'ma play some Titan you guys down for a few rounds?"

Rolls off the tongue OK, but 'cod' sounds easier.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@hailinel said:

No, we must go further. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions

I know it is totally off-topic but: WTF is this petition.

On-topic: Yeah, remember how Heavy Rain was "only possible on the amazing PS3?" fast forward a few years and it turns out it is only an exclusive because Microsoft turned them down.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel: Well technically that's true. Only possible on the amazing PS3 because Microsoft didn't want to contract David Cage-itis.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I believe this song sums every decision in this industry these days.

Loading Video...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The people at Respawn have been asked "Why Xbox One?" a few times. It comes down to Microsoft was the one willing sight unseen to support the 'server infrastructure' and other concession needed right away.

That doesn't mean Sony can't or won't, it just means sigh unseen Sony wasn't willing to commit to the game before it was even a game.

The game will come to PS4. It will come; Respawn knows it, EA knows it, Microsoft knows it, and Sony knows it. And, I rather doubt Microsoft, even if it wanted to give EA millions, would find EA willing to sell exclusivity. EA knows that Titanfall is about as close to a "CoD" as it will ever have. That means Titanfall, as a series, is worth BILLIONS. To buy exclusivity MS would have to give EA billions, and they won't/can't do it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.