Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Set in a far-flung, mech-filled future, Titanfall is the first first-person shooter built by Respawn Entertainment, the studio formed by ex-employees of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

Xbone Running at 792p and (mostly) 60 FPS

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Getting my popcorn ready

Source

The Xbox One version of Respawn Entertainment's first-person shooter, Titanfall,will showcase its mech-battling action in 792p resolution when it ships this week, lead engineer Richard Baker confirmed during an interview with technical analysis site Digital Foundry.

The retail version's resolution and 60 frames-per-second output (mostly) mirrors the visual presentation seen in Titanfall's pre-release beta from last month. Baker explained that Titanfall is "likely to increase resolution after we ship," though day-one players will be locked at 792p.

"We've been experimenting with making it higher and lower," Baker said during Digital Foundry's interview. "We're going to experiment. The target is either 1080p non-anti-aliased or 900p with FXAA. We're trying to optimize... we don't want to give up anything for higher res. So far we're not 100 per cent happy with any of the options, we're still working on it."

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Darji

This FPS thing seems like a lie: From the Jeff Review:

The frame rate in Titanfall is uneven on the Xbox One and though it's usually fine, it can get downright nasty in specific situations. In one Last Titan Standing match--where every player spawns in a robot suit--several players crammed their mechs into a tight area and began duking it out, and the frame rate dived down to what must have been single digits per second. Even out in wider areas, the game feels a little hitchy from time to time,

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My 2004 HP laptop can run this game 1080p60. What a joke.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

795p I would be fine with but 792p is fucking ridiculous!!!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Amen to that, need all that p you can get

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Humanity

@humanity said:

Amen to that, need all that p you can get

Double down on the p's and you got my dollar friend.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

ohhhhhhh

huge burn

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

My 2004 HP laptop can run this game 1080p60. What a joke.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pie

Yeah my PC which I am pretty sure is technically worse than the xbox one can run it better than that. I don't get it

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"I bought Titanfall for the graphics" - Said no one.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie said:

Yeah my PC which I am pretty sure is technically worse than the xbox one can run it better than that. I don't get it

Is it just getting used to a new system? Kinda like the PS3 took years before people could really use its full potential? But then isn't the Xone similar to a PC (for the most part)? I don't get it either.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pie

@pie said:

Is it just getting used to a new system? Kinda like the PS3 took years before people could really use its full potential? But then isn't the Xone similar to a PC (for the most part)? I don't get it either.

I guess? But like you said the whole thing with this new generation seemed to be about how easy it would be to develop games for it because of shared architecture or whatever.

Also it isn't even the year of the PS3 yet.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Slaegar

@pie said:

@nightriff said:

@pie said:

I guess? But like you said the whole thing with this new generation seemed to be about how easy it would be to develop games for it because of shared architecture or whatever.

Also it isn't even the year of the PS3 yet.

Well the architecture is fairly easy on the PS4 side but Microsoft's DDR3+SRAM plan is a mess that makes getting games to hit higher resolutions very problematic. Which is why so many multiplatform games are showing up at 720p. It's not even a GPU matter yet, it's a matter of squeezing the framebuffer into 32MBs. Even Intel's Crystalwell has 128MBs on the die.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@mister_v: While that is true for people that go to websites like giantbomb, you show enough casual people video of titan fall I think you would be shocked with how many people still care about how pretty a game is.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the hell kind of screen displays at 792p?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh this again.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By fattony12000
    Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not just 720p then? At least then it'd be a 2:3 ratio for anything 1920X1080 rather than 99:135 (seriously wtf?)

792p smells to me like they just pushed the hardware as far as they could without completely jacking the frame rate so they could claim MOAR PEES!!

Jeff's review makes it sound like they weren't all that successful.

What happened to "The Cloud" that was touted so heavily around Xbone launch, or was this game never intended to utilize it?

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Dizzyhippos

@sinusoidal said:

Why not just 720p then? At least then it'd be a 2:3 ratio for anything 1920X1080 rather than 99:135 (seriously wtf?)

792p smells to me like they just pushed the hardware as far as they could without completely jacking the frame rate so they could claim MOAR PEES!!

Jeff's review makes it sound like they weren't all that successful.

What happened to "The Cloud" that was touted so heavily around Xbone launch, or was this game never intended to utilize it?

First off making it 720p makes it much harder to sell a $500 box needed to play it and only goes to fuel more fanboy wars.

Second whether they rewrote the entire engine or not as the GB crew as claimed previously, the source engine is still the source engine and frame rate is always an issue with it solved only by raw horsepower.

And finally that cloud nonsense was never going to make a difference in how it looked unless they were doing something like onlive and streaming video of a computer running it to you on a delay. The cloud is good for stuff that you can depend on being the same 9 times out of 10, sending textures over any network(especially American internet) is a pipe dream at best because you can never count on it being the same for everyone.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Xbox One showing it deserves to be priced higher than the PS4 once again.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yes OP, this is what both Brad and Jeff said during the last Titanfall livestream. You made an entire thread about something everyone knew?

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Corvak

Most HDTVs are just going to scale it down to 720p anyway (or add black bars) so I really don't understand.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Haruko

@sinusoidal: The cloud was never meant be or is able to process graphics all of that has to be processed locally. The cloud is mainly a bunch of computational hardware that can be used for high end calculations like calculating the positions of thousands of objects in space in real time or hosting drivatar data or in the case of Titanfall being the dedicated server host for all three versions of the game.

So for all the dumb shit you can talk about how the XOne is not as powerful as it should be the cloud is not really something that should enter into the graphics conversation.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak said:

Most HDTVs are just going to scale it down to 720p anyway (or add black bars) so I really don't understand.

People still use 720p TV's? I thought it has been so many years since 1080p was introduced that most people would have upgraded already.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By Sergio

@icemo said:

@corvak said:

People still use 720p TV's? I thought it has been so many years since 1080p was introduced that most people would have upgraded already.

TVs may support more than one resolution. My TV can display 1080p, 1080i, 720p, etc., depending on the source.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.