While Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 is the second installment in the GRAW series, it is also the fourth game in the overall Ghost Recon franchise. GRAW2 was published by Ubisoft and released on March 6, 2007. As of April 26, 2007, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 has sold 1 million copies as of April 26, 2007.
Scott Mitchell and his squad continue their effort to stop the rebel uprising in Mexico, which has taken over the Panama Canal. It quickly becomes clear that the rebels have become a much bigger threat than originally thought when it is revealed that the rebellion is in possession of a WMD, and has the means to attack the United States.
The gameplay in GRAW2 remains very similar to the original GRAW, with the changes being limited mostly to the AI and squad controls. GRAW2 also features Cross Com 2.0, the network that connects the various units in the squad, which allows the Ghost Leader to see from the point-of-view of each of his teammates. The AI squad-mates now actively seek cover and call out enemy positions contextually, using phrases such as "behind the car," or "under the green roof." Their response time has also been increased and new commands have been added. Also added is the MULE, a mobile resupply point. This ground based UAV can be used to refill ammo, change weapons and as a last resort as cover or a recon vehicle.
It should be noted that the PC version of GRAW2 was independently developed and is not a port of the console version of the game. The PC version features different levels and a higher difficulty, although it shares a similar story.
Shortly after release, the mayor of one of the towns featured in the game released a statement in which he called the game an insult to both mexican citizens and Mexico itself, and requested that any copies of the game sold in Mexico be seized.
- The Map "Nowhere" from GRAW 1 is available to players who link their Gamertag to their UBI.com account
- More Guns Pack: Adds some guns from the multiplayer into the Quick Mission part of the singleplayer
- Throwback Pack: 7 extra MP maps taken from past Ghost Recon games
- Throwback Pack 2: 7 extra MP maps from past Ghost Recon games and an extra MP game mode, Co-op Exfiltration
- Co-Op Collection: 9 new MP maps (7 from old Ghost Recon games and 2 brand new), a new 5 mission Co-Op campaign and an extra 9 achievements worth a total of 125 points
- Co-Op Collection 2: 9 new MP maps (again, 7 from old Ghost Recon games and 2 brand new) a new 5 mission Co-Op campaign and 8 extra achievements worth 125 points in total.
GRAW 2 Legacy Edition
A new edition of GRAW 2 has been released titled the Legacy Edition spanning two discs. It contains the original game and also all the released DLC meaning:
- 60 Multiplayer Maps
- 62 Multiplayer Weapons
- 16 Co-Op Missions
- 8 games modes
- a total of 1250 gamerscore in achivements
- Supported OS: Windows® XP/Vista (only)
- Processor: 2 GHz Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon or better (2.8 GHz Pentium IV or AMD Athlon or better recommended)
- Memory: 1024 MB
- Graphics: 128 MB DirectX 9.0c w/ shader 2.0 compliance (256 MB recommended) (see supported list*)
- Sound: DirectX 9-compliant sound card
- DirectX: DirectX 9.0c or higher
- Hard Drive: 5 GB free space
- Peripherals supported: Windows-compatible keyboard and mouse
- Multiplayer: 128 kbps Broadband Internet connection or faster (512 Kbps upload rate for a server on a full game)
*Supported video cards: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 - 6800 / 7 / 8 series, ATI Radeon 9700 / 9800 / X700 - X850 / X1300 - X1950 series; Laptop versions of these cards are not fully supported. For an up-to-date list of supported chipsets, video cards, and operating systems, please visit the FAQ for this game at: http://support.ubi.com.