Will this game work on my PC?

#1 Posted by popmasterruler (575 posts) -

I was looking up the requirements for Splinter Cell Conviction but I've never bought a PC game before and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it would work on my PC.I'll put up the requirements for Splinter Cell Conviction and than my PC's specs:

PC System Requirements

Minimum:

Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel Core2 Duo or 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon X2 64

Memory: 1.5 GB Windows XP / 2 GB Windows Vista, Windows 7

Graphics: 256 MB DirectX 9.0c–compliant video card (512 MB recommended) (see supported list*)

DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c

Hard Drive: 10 GB

Sound: DirectX 9.0c–compliant sound card

Peripherals Supported: Mouse, keyboard, headset, 12-button gamepads with analog sticks

Internet Connection: Broadband Internet connection

*Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 / 7900 / 8 / 9 / GTX series

ATI RADEON X1800 / X1900 / HD 2000 / HD 4000 / HD 5000 series

ATI HD 3000 NOT supported at time of release.

Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game.

My Specs:

Windows 7 home premium

System:

Processor Intel(R)Pentium(R)CPU B940 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz

Installed Memory(RAM) 4.00 GB

System Type:64-bit operating system

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@popmasterruler said:

PC System Requirements

Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel Core2 Duo or 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon X2 64

Memory: 1.5 GB Windows XP / 2 GB Windows Vista, Windows 7

My Specs:

Processor Intel(R)Pentium(R)CPU B940 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz

Installed Memory(RAM) 4.00 GB

Your CPU and memory meet the requirements, but you didn't list your graphics card.
#3 Posted by popmasterruler (575 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic:

How do I find out what my graphics card is?It didn't list it in System

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@popmasterruler: In the System window, click on Device Manager on the panel on the left. Then find this in the Device Manager window that pops up: 
#5 Posted by popmasterruler (575 posts) -

Found it:

Intel(R)HD Graphics Family

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@popmasterruler said:

Found it:

So you have a laptop.. I don't think I can be of further assistance :P Dunno my laptops.
#7 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (341 posts) -

Probably not. Integrated Intel Graphics generally isn't known for playing nice with a lot of games.

#8 Posted by popmasterruler (575 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@popmasterruler said:

Found it:

So you have a laptop.. I don't think I can be of further assistance :P Dunno my laptops.

Didn't know it being a laptop mattered,sorry I should've mentioned that in my op :(

#9 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (341 posts) -

What model laptop is it? Do you know if it has any type of high performance mode using a discreet GPU instead of the integrated one? Some of the newer ASUS laptops carry two separate GPUs for different performance modes, that you can switch between on the fly.

#10 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

According to the intel site its definelty possible to play games with its integrated cards but the 1000 and 2000 are pretty poor in comparison to the 3000 which runs as well as a low end dedicated graphics card in some conditions.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking/games-optimized-for-intel.html

heres the intel link and below is a youtube link of the 3000 playing conviction, he has all settings at lowest and 1280 x1024 and game runs okay but he has an i5 processor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75oJOgDcoQ

here is an i3 with a hd 2000, the difference is amazing, very slow and stuttery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15L9x2ufe7Y

hope some of this helps, you could also try system requirements labs can i run it service

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

#11 Posted by AndrewB (7567 posts) -

Yeah, if anything it would be the Intel integrated graphics that nix the ability to play it. Unfortunately even the most recent *desktop* Intel graphics are still not enough for serious gaming.

#12 Posted by popmasterruler (575 posts) -

@Hugh_Jazz said:

What model laptop is it? Do you know if it has any type of high performance mode using a discreet GPU instead of the integrated one? Some of the newer ASUS laptops carry two separate GPUs for different performance modes, that you can switch between on the fly.

Toshiba Satellite L755

#13 Posted by popmasterruler (575 posts) -

@Hugh_Jazz said:

If it makes any difference I would run it off of Steam

#14 Posted by AlexW00d (6230 posts) -

It might maybe run, but it will look godawful and you're much better off not bothering at all.

#15 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (341 posts) -

@popmasterruler said:

@Hugh_Jazz said:

No difference, really. And with that laptop you'd be better off not trying at all. Buying parts and building a desktop would be the way to go, you could get a really decent one for minimal cost these days. For instance, an AMD HD 4850 video card would cost next to nothing and will play that game at pretty much max graphics no problem.

#16 Posted by Grillbar (1812 posts) -

@popmasterruler said:

@Hugh_Jazz said:

here is what you can do (to be fair i dont know how accurate it will list it on a laptop but you can try)

go to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com find the game under Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction click the can you run it button and it will ask you to install a program that reads what hardware your using. after that is done it will show you a rough estimate of what is fine and what is lacking for minimum/req/max

if your not happy about installing that program incase you dont trust the site or me them plz dont do it. i personally have not had any kinds of trouble with it and i have never heard anyone complain but i just dont want to be blamed for something.

other then that i would say that from what little information you have giving and my lack of hardware in a laptop i would say that you might have some trouble running the game basically due to your gfx card

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.