Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

Blurry Tomb Raider Gameplay is Shouty, Shooty, Jumpy

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MarkWahlberg

The Flood of E3 videos Commences! Dunno if the Duders are gonna put this up or not, so figured I might as well share it. It's a tad blurry, but watchable.

Nothing spoilery here, just Lara going through some cliffside encampment murdering lots of guys with arrows that... appear spontaneously? I can't tell see any on her back, which appears to be where she's pulling them from. This seems mostly useless in determining what the game is gonna be like, since it's one tiny segment, but if all the combat is like this, I dunno. Seems kinda bland, and having the cinematic stuff thrown in just sort of emphasizes that. Aesthetically it's kind of cool looking, but realism ain't exactly what they're going for, either in terms of gameplay or environment.

Those constant moans while she's being battered by the environment don't seem to have gone away, though. Hooray?

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Only because there's been so much vitriol over the PR of late, I'm going to post a couple more gameplay vids I ran across recently, just so we can go back to thinking about what we all like: video games.

They come from our cousin-site, Gamespot, but considering that Tomb Raider itself has had minimal coverage here on GB, I figure maybe you guys haven't seen this stuff yet. It all appears to take place shortly after the escape-the-cave sequence from last year's E3, so no worries about spoilers I think. As much talk as there's been about Tomb Raider, it's been a bit confusing as to how the overall game will play, and although this is intro sequence stuff I think it might be a somewhat better indicator than the video I originally posted above.

I'm still really digging the aesthetic, but what I immediately noticed is the XP gained after traversing the totally-safe-for-climbing airplane. I hadn't realized there'd be some light RPG stuff in here, but it makes sense if they are making this more open-worldy.

Tomb Raider: taking RDR's spot as the premier animal-skinning simulator?

I'm not bothered by the fire physics that don't make any goddam sense, or the slasher-movie style 'stupid teen girl doesn't recognize creepy bad guy is creepy'. Because A) whatever, it's a game, and B) I am 100% ok with (early season) LOST references, so creepy bad guys and mysterious bunkers are kind of my jam. It's the fact that she's gone running and jumping through the above three segments with that same goddam puncture wound she got in the cave. I swear to god, this game is going to end with her dying of infection or blood loss or something. Ugh.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By thedj93

i wonder if she dies in really graphic ways a la isaac clarke or if it's just the traditional (often hilarious) nathan drake rag doll floppity thing

@MarkWahlberg: the fire in that last video is like 2D lol

the game seems pretty cool though. if the pacing isn't all fucked up it'll probably be a high quality experience

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@thedj93 said:

@MarkWahlberg: the fire in that last video is like 2D lol

Lara's thought process: 'Hm. I am in a small, enclosed space that is both underground and filled with lots of rotting old crap. I believe i will light some of it on fire, so that a couple very specific objects will immediately ignite and disintegrate a few seconds later. Naturally, there is no danger of the fire spreading to the rest of the room or eating up all my oxygen.' College degree hard at work, there.

I realize they want a fancy game mechanic, but.. fucking come on. Just move that shit with your hands.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258
    It's the fact that she's gone running and jumping through the above three segments with that same goddam puncture wound she got in the cave. I swear to god, this game is going to end with her dying of infection or blood loss or something. Ugh.

This doesn't bother me quite as much as the bear trap she stepped in during the trailer. Seriously, go watch that again, she stepped in a bear trap and continued to run around killing dudes, no problem. At least a limp or something?

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By NMC2008

Thank you OP, I need to see more of this awesome looking game.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Roger778

The gameplay for this game looks pretty good, so far, and very story-driven, which I like.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#8  Edited By Lazyaza

Yep massive disconnects between gameplay and story same as Uncharted. It looks fun and very well made but man same exact problems I had with Uncharted only with a protagonist who whines and moans way more lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.