Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Transformers: War For Cybertron

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jun 22, 2010

A depiction of the beginning of the infamous war between the noble Autobots and the nefarious Decepticons, set on the Transformers' homeworld, Cybertron, long before they had even heard of humans or the planet Earth.

War for Cybertron criticisms

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

I'm not the biggest transformer fan out there, only had a mild interest in the franchise as a child but I found myself really, really enjoying this game. While I can appreciate some of the criticisms levied against the game (levels go on for too long, enemy variety is lacking) I also feel that the game is pretty well made. Level design is decent and rarely repeats, the action feels great and the game looks really sharp (playing on the PC version and the game can often look incredible, especially now the FPS cap has been removed via user mods). But much more than this, the multiplayer is kind of fantastic. 2 second respawn time means that it's really fast paced and the levelling up system, while ripped straight out of CoD, works really well as an incentive to just play one more match.   

Also, I just can't agree with the notion that the vehicle controls just aren't that great - sure, they're a bit floaty, but you can pull off some very precise, very cool moves if you know how. It also completely changes the multiplayer dynamic and makes it feel so fresh, despite a variety of 'borrowed' ideas from other games. Not once do you get that walking trudge to the action so common in action games as you can just speed off in vehicle mode.

Skip to 19:30 for a really positive transformers discussion that I feel really hits things right on the mark: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/705944/Feedback----Transformers-War-For-Cybertron-PlayStation-Plus-And-Beyond-Good--Evil-2.html 

I just feel that the guys at high moon aren't getting the credit they deserve - The Bourne Conspiracy was a better than average movie tie in and this game does a lot of things better than I'd expected it to. Anyone else feel the same? It may not reach a lofty 9/10 level of quality but I do feel that it's being sold a little short by a lot of critics (there's a massive disparity between the user scores, sitting at 90, and the average reviewer score at 78 on metacritic which I don't necessarily feel is down to hardcore transformers fans ignoring a lot of the game's issues - I'm a pretty harsh critic myself and often feel like I was playing a completely different game to other people based on what I've read).

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Why did you mention "The Boune Conspiracy?" You make it sound like this is a Movie tie in game. 

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vitor
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " Why did you mention "The Boune Conspiracy?" You make it sound like this is a Movie tie in game.  "
    Because I felt like that game was given a rougher ride than it merited and it was made by the same developer.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By RVonE
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

"Why did you mention "The Boune Conspiracy?" You make it sound like this is a Movie tie in game.  "

I am also puzzled by this inclusion. 

EDIT: I see.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @RVonE said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    "Why did you mention "The Boune Conspiracy?" You make it sound like this is a Movie tie in game.  "
    I am also puzzled by this inclusion. "
    Maybe he thinks the game is a movie tie in.  

I am yet to see a decent movie tie in game. 
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RVonE
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    I heard that Toy Story game is looking alright--haven't played it myself, though.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vitor
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @RVonE said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    I am also puzzled by this inclusion. "
    Maybe he thinks the game is a movie tie in.   I am yet to see a decent movie tie in game.  "
    Ugh.... I don't think Transformers is a movie tie in. Both this and Bourne Conspiracy were made by High Moon Studios. Both were decent games (although Transformers is by far the better of the two) and both were given more harsh criticism than they deserved. That is why I mentioned it. Seems the developer just can't  find any critic love (although having said that - the vast majority of the reviews of metacritic are 9 and 8s for T:WFC, it's just a few 6s and 5s that seem to be bringing the average down). 

It was merely an aside, my main point is that I think T:WFC is a very well made game and, while I can see that it has faults, I have to disagree not only as to the extent to which they harm the overall gameplay experience, but also as to the existence of certain issues reviewers have had (every reviewer bar Jeff found the jet sections to be the most enjoyable of the campaign as they took full advantage of the whole transformation dynamic and allowed you you to play more tactically and explore the entire level better, the gamespot review claimed that the bosses were overly long and tedious but I did not face one that took more than 5/10 minutes to beat and it also lamented the enemy AI's insistence on always attacking you and ignoring your allies yet the bosses and tougher enemies of the game often go after your computer controlled allies).

As for yet to see a decent movie tie in: The Chronicles of RIddick was one of the best games of the original Xbox and Toy Story 3 is more than playable. There is precedent but that's not what I wanted to discuss in this thread seeing as T:WFC isn't a movie tie in...
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RVonE

I agree with Jeff on the jet thing. They don't behave like jets but like hover craft or some variant of that. While I think the game is fine, I also think that there are far superior thrid-person shooters on the market. 3 stars sounds about right.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vitor
    @RVonE said:

" I agree with Jeff on the jet thing. They don't behave like jets but like hover craft or some variant of that. While I think the game is fine, I also think that there are far superior thrid-person shooters on the market. 3 stars sounds about right. "

I just find that that makes them more versatile - they can behave like jets if you need them to (hold boost and fly off into the distance) but the hover ability lets you take your time and scout out the battlefield if needed. 

True, the vehicles all feel very similar, they could have used some more differentiation (the small sports cars are only marginally faster than the large tanks) but they at least all feel useful and it means you don't get that battlefield 'learning to fly the chopper' difficulty curve. 
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tunaburn
    @RVonE said:
    " I agree with Jeff on the jet thing. They don't behave like jets but like hover craft or some variant of that. While I think the game is fine, I also think that there are far superior thrid-person shooters on the market. 3 stars sounds about right. "
    could you name a few 3rd person shooters that are better for the 360? and dont say gears of war because that broken multiplayer is HORRENDOUS
    rt44tbtb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By rt44tbtb4

Red Dead Redemption..? Technically a third person shooter, as is GTA IV and Uncharted 2. Although the latter is not on the 360. I probably enjoyed Army of Two the Fortieth day as much as transformers, both were meh. And at least I got to play Ao2 with a friend.

JRock3x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By JRock3x8

I'm going to apologize in advance for being fully 2 years late to the party on this but I have a criticism I haven't seen posted anywhere else.

This game looks terrible. I mean really, really bad. And I'm a Transformers apologist to no end. But between unbelievable jaggies on the title screen to the dull color scheme throughout the first 4 missions, I don't know that I've played a game on 360 that looks worse. I did download the game as opposed to buying the disc but I can't imagine that is accounting for the poor presentation.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Raven10

@JRock3x8 said:

I'm going to apologize in advance for being fully 2 years late to the party on this but I have a criticism I haven't seen posted anywhere else.

This game looks terrible. I mean really, really bad. And I'm a Transformers apologist to no end. But between unbelievable jaggies on the title screen to the dull color scheme throughout the first 4 missions, I don't know that I've played a game on 360 that looks worse. I did download the game as opposed to buying the disc but I can't imagine that is accounting for the poor presentation.

I recently played the disc version and it looked really awful as well. I guess the PC version was the way to go for these games. The sequel looks a bit better, but overall it's a really poor looking series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.