Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Nathan Drake, as portrayed in Uncharted 2

Elemmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Edited By Elemmire

I believe the count on sensible reviews on metacritic for this game has now passed 70. And yet none of those reviews have given the game a score below nine out of ten. Seldom do you see a so unanimous approval of a video game title. As you have no doubt read plenty about the game's structure, gameplay and outstanding graphics I choose here under merely to elaborate a bit on the storyrtelling.

The story senters around the personality of the game character. What is amazing is that with a few exceptions his character nearly does not evolve during the whole game. He is, who he is. As an experienced adult and adventurer, he has already been put through many situations that  has been able to shape his character, and now what the game does, is play his character against several others in order to portray various sides of our protagonist. His personality is balansed on several scales where he realistically falls a bit of sentre everytime. As some sociologists point out, you need not be one or the other only, but the two sides can play upon one another rather like counterpoint in songs. He ranges from opportunistic to loyal, from revengeful to forgiving, from masculine to romantic and so on. The only point where he does not at all let go, is of his humour. In fact, the whole game keeps a light hearted tone, almoast all the way through, a trait which is carried over to the graphics, which, as well as having been improved drastically in it's sequel, as also taken on a tint of cartooniness.

There is also a sort of duality to him externally, which is that he acts whimsical but is an expert shot, athlete and historian.

I'll round off with a short message to mr. Desilets: THIS character i rolle played. If there were any invisible walls in this game, I wouldn't know, because it never occured to me to look anywhere else than where Nathan would. But who wants to identify with an introverted self absorbed asshole who never, ever changes his clothes even after a hot ride across the desert, even if he has a changing room! There is a fine line between exotic and outlandish. A very fine line.

Elemmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Elemmire

I believe the count on sensible reviews on metacritic for this game has now passed 70. And yet none of those reviews have given the game a score below nine out of ten. Seldom do you see a so unanimous approval of a video game title. As you have no doubt read plenty about the game's structure, gameplay and outstanding graphics I choose here under merely to elaborate a bit on the storyrtelling.

The story senters around the personality of the game character. What is amazing is that with a few exceptions his character nearly does not evolve during the whole game. He is, who he is. As an experienced adult and adventurer, he has already been put through many situations that  has been able to shape his character, and now what the game does, is play his character against several others in order to portray various sides of our protagonist. His personality is balansed on several scales where he realistically falls a bit of sentre everytime. As some sociologists point out, you need not be one or the other only, but the two sides can play upon one another rather like counterpoint in songs. He ranges from opportunistic to loyal, from revengeful to forgiving, from masculine to romantic and so on. The only point where he does not at all let go, is of his humour. In fact, the whole game keeps a light hearted tone, almoast all the way through, a trait which is carried over to the graphics, which, as well as having been improved drastically in it's sequel, as also taken on a tint of cartooniness.

There is also a sort of duality to him externally, which is that he acts whimsical but is an expert shot, athlete and historian.

I'll round off with a short message to mr. Desilets: THIS character i rolle played. If there were any invisible walls in this game, I wouldn't know, because it never occured to me to look anywhere else than where Nathan would. But who wants to identify with an introverted self absorbed asshole who never, ever changes his clothes even after a hot ride across the desert, even if he has a changing room! There is a fine line between exotic and outlandish. A very fine line.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

The storyline is meant to just entertain you with its light hearted comedy and personality-oozing characters. If you start to overthink it ,it'll loses the fun that the story has going for it.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon

Think of it this way: does Indiana Jones change during the movies? Not really. Much of Nathan's character (as well as how his adventure is structured) seems quite reminiscent of good ol' Indy, with exception of the self-centered-thief aspect. If you go in with that thinking you tend to focus on the fun of the character and you end up enjoying his perks more.

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Tiwi

it's 74 reviews on metacritic btw...
    Edit: forget it. and also all the reviews look sensible.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Griddler

I would argue that the character does evolve.

Elemmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Elemmire
    @girdz: Yes. But not much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.