Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valve Corporation

Company »

The developer of many acclaimed game franchises such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Dota. They are also responsible for the massively successful PC digital distribution service Steam.

Gabe Newell Confirmed Nex-Gen Engine

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

So Gabe finally confirmed that they've been working on their next engine and they're just waiting for a game to launch it with. The obviously conclusion is Half-Life 3 and the timely is actually pretty good considering the next-gen consoles are likely launching next year. This way they wouldn't be launching a super inferior version on the current consoles. The current Source engine has definitely seen better days. Haha.

Source: IGN

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Man. Going for coffee qualifies news if its Valve doing it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brodehouse: It's news when any big developer works on a new engine... Crytek and Unreal build trailers for new engine announcements. Haha.

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Jackhole

Big shocker there. I thought they would just go back to using GoldSrc. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jackhole: Aren't they technically still running on that, just a highly modified version of it?

Edit: "Source distantly originates from the GoldSrc engine, itself a heavily modified version of John D. Carmack's Quake engine, as is explained by Valve employee Erik Johnson on the Valve Developer Community:

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jams

@Brodehouse said:

Man. Going for coffee qualifies news if its Valve doing it.

if they take 7+ years to go for coffee then yeah, it qualifies.

"Valve finally returns after going out for coffee seven years ago. Everyone still waiting for HL3."

Source: Yo Mamma

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By baconbits33

I won't let valve hurt me again..... I was promised more Half Life a long time ago... It never came... It never came....

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Jackhole
    @wewantsthering: Oh, I didn't know that. I was just making a goof, because of fucking course they're making a new engine. It was going to happen eventually.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@baconbits33 said:

I won't let valve hurt me again..... I was promised more Half Life a long time ago... It never came... It never came....

What are you talking about? HL3 came out years ago and I got to play with Gordon and Alyx and the Dr. and G-man and the gravity gun and we had fun and we saved the world and we- aw man, the meanies in the white jackets say I have to get off the computer now. I have to take my meds and after that it's time from our group therapy thingy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wewantsthering it's news when Epic shows the engine, not when they say they're making it. Because of course they're making a new engine.
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zippedbinders

@baconbits33 said:

I'm sorry that they vaguely promised a new Half Life title, running a user friendly and highly successful digital distribution business and shipping three fantastic retail games since Episode 2 just seems to be getting in the way of that.

Never mind every other goddamn thing they're doing. I love Half-Life as much as everyone else, and I don't know how serious you're being, but the myriad of complainers act as if valve are sitting on their asses, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brodehouse: Not necessarily. Most devs make new numbered versions of their engines much more often than Valve. Sure, we knew they would eventually, but not when. Crytek went through two numbered versions of their engine during the time we're waiting for Source 2.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By FunkyHugo

While definitely exciting, I'm sure it'll be a few years till we actually see some footage.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By monetarydread

Whats more exciting to me is that the original source of this information is 4-chan. They gave Gabe Newell a surprise birthday party then released the video onto the internet.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By baconbits33

@Zippedbinders said:

@baconbits33 said:

I'm sorry that they vaguely promised a new Half Life title, running a user friendly and highly successful digital distribution business and shipping three fantastic retail games since Episode 2 just seems to be getting in the way of that.

Never mind every other goddamn thing they're doing. I love Half-Life as much as everyone else, and I don't know how serious you're being, but the myriad of complainers act as if valve are sitting on their asses, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Please re-read my comment and you tell with all the honesty in your heart, whether you genuinely think that I was being serious with my comment.

I badly want HL3 but I'm also a PC gamer so that automatically tells you that I obviously use Steam, and who on this website hasn't played Portal? Or Counter Strike? Or TF2? Obviously I love Valve as a company.

You took that waaaay to seriously dude.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.