Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

A crucial planet size factory is under siege by millions of Orks. As Space Marine Captain Titus, you must lead your soldiers to stem the tide until help arrives.

Dedicated Servers and Push-to-Talk

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NobodyHIFI

I'm sick of all the multiplayer lag and having to mute everyone who comes in the game.

add these features to the PC version, stop being mean

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vitor

I'm hoping you've posted this on the official forums because, I have a feeling the developers won't likely be listening here and there's not much we can all do about it...

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By therealnelsk

Completely agree, but as Vitor said, you're accomplishing nothing by complaining here.

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NobodyHIFI

people have complained on the official forums, and there's a petition for dedicated servers.

Relic's response - no

Relic's reason - because we said so

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Sitoxity

As far as Push-To-Talk goes, they're adding a "Mute All" button on PC, which apparently will help the P2P be a little better. They're saying it helps make your ping better.

How significantly better remains to be seen, but at least they're doing something. Definitely not what I'd prefer, but whatever, it's still a fun game.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By white

You won't see many developers putting dedicated servers into their MP games unless it's really popular for one simple reason - cost.

I know consumer bandwidth is not ideal for multiplayer games, but it's just not profitable to be setting up multiple servers for people to play on. And even if they did, they'll probably go the route of a few in North America, a few in Europe, and ONE in Japan - cause they can't afford that many. You'll still feel the latency pulling at your pubes and no one gets anywhere; and THQ would lose a chunk of change just paying for the bandwidth.

Which is why most developers and publishers feel a peer-to-peer setup is sufficient because maintaining a few matchmaking servers is just cheap. It doesn't have to be fast as all it needs to do is track the games going on. The bulk of their sales and player-base probably comes from NA and Europe, whom if you're playing locally within your own region it's bearable - there will be enough people to give you a decent game.

But the rest of the world? We become the minority. There won't be enough Japanese and players in the Pacific to get a few good games going so we'll be forced to play with people in the West. We'll lag, but why would THQ care? We already paid the money and we're the minority. And people don't really cater for the minority.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

I think Relic listened as much as they realistically could in this situation. I relly don't see dedicated servers happaning to a game with such a small MP scope.
    And we just got the Mute All function with the latest patch, so yay!

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nentisys

@White said:

You won't see many developers putting dedicated servers into their MP games unless it's really popular for one simple reason - cost.

I know consumer bandwidth is not ideal for multiplayer games, but it's just not profitable to be setting up multiple servers for people to play on. And even if they did, they'll probably go the route of a few in North America, a few in Europe, and ONE in Japan - cause they can't afford that many. You'll still feel the latency pulling at your pubes and no one gets anywhere; and THQ would lose a chunk of change just paying for the bandwidth.

Which is why most developers and publishers feel a peer-to-peer setup is sufficient because maintaining a few matchmaking servers is just cheap. It doesn't have to be fast as all it needs to do is track the games going on. The bulk of their sales and player-base probably comes from NA and Europe, whom if you're playing locally within your own region it's bearable - there will be enough people to give you a decent game.

But the rest of the world? We become the minority. There won't be enough Japanese and players in the Pacific to get a few good games going so we'll be forced to play with people in the West. We'll lag, but why would THQ care? We already paid the money and we're the minority. And people don't really cater for the minority.

That is all true for consoles.

OP was asking for dedicated servers on the pc. They dont need to be (and SHOULDNT be) Relic servers. If they simply provided a dedicated server client the community would run them (as in all other games). That shit don't cost much to develop and would increase the games lifespan and popularity (fixing most lag issues) immensely. Increased multiplayer lifespan and an active community = more sales for DLC and Relics next game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Nentisys said:
    That is all true for consoles.

OP was asking for dedicated servers on the pc. They dont need to be (and SHOULDNT be) Relic servers. If they simply provided a dedicated server client the community would run them (as in all other games). That shit don't cost much to develop and would increase the games lifespan and popularity (fixing most lag issues) immensely. Increased multiplayer lifespan and an active community = more sales for DLC and Relics next game.

In my mind the priority improvement that MP needs to make it last longer in the first place is content. There are simply too few maps, modes, gear, etc in the game to keep anyone interested for a very long time. (unless you are big on it in the first place anyway of course)
    You need to create a solid MP first of all. And while Space Marine MP functions, it severely lacks for content anyway.
    Basically the effort put into the MP of this game is actually not that great in the first place. Them providing dedicated servers to people would be a quite significant resource investement compared to the actual gain dedicated serverws would provide overall to such a game.
    Now if say they did a Space Marine 2 and actaully decided to make MP a full fladged thing, and/or a selling point, then an argument could be made for them putting dedicated servers in.

Keep in mind I'm all FOR having dedicated servers and it's the best thing, which goes without saying. I would looove to have some dedicated servers. And I like the MP. (i'm lvl 41)
    But thinking about it realistically it's just not going to happen, and it's easy to see why not at this point.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Wuddel

Economics 101

Cost of implementing and running dedicated server - addition revenue generated by this = likely negative!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.