Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

How does the premium service work?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pompouspizza

I bought the premium wii u, is it just built in to the system or do I have to make a club Nintendo account or something, I can't figure it out?.

SirShandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SirShandy

For every purchase on the eShop you make, you accrue ten percent back in points. So if you spend 59.99, you get 599 points. For every 500 points you can redeem 5 dollars that can be used in the eshop. While you can currently add up points with digital purchases, you won't be able to redeem them until starting some point this month.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64
    @SirShandy

For every purchase on the eShop you make, you accrue ten percent back in points. So if you spend 59.99, you get 599 points. For every 500 points you can redeem 5 dollars that can be used in the eshop. While you can currently add up points with digital purchases, you won't be able to redeem them until starting some point this month.

Something like this. The service is supposed to start sometime this month. There is a URL on the box so go there.
    jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jking47

I believe he understands what the system is, he is just wondering if there is any step to make your account premium or something so that it starts tallying your extra points.

SirShandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SirShandy

Oh, I believe it will just sort itself automatically on the eShop, but I'm not positive on that. The eShop is supposed to be down for maintenance from 10 am to 7 pm tomorrow, perhaps they will be adding some kind of functionality then.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By DeF

@pompouspizza said:

I bought the premium wii u, is it just built in to the system or do I have to make a club Nintendo account or something, I can't figure it out?.

There's a thing in the box ...just read it.

1 EUR translates to 8 points. 500 points translate back into 5 EUR that you can use towards a purchase on the Wii U or 3DS eShop or even DSiWare or the Wii Shop Channel (you get a code).

But seriously, read the little manual that was in the Wii U box. It explains everything.

SpaceKangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#7  Edited By SpaceKangaroo

Doesn't seem so great with current pricing, in the UK at least.

Like £60ish quid for £5 back.

Games typically being £50-55 too. £45-50 I wouldn't be so bothered about, I've come to expect downloads to be RRP.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pompouspizza

@SpaceKangaroo: I know it kinda sucks.

civ2boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By civ2boss

I assume it works just like how Nintendo does the 3DS loyalty stuff.

So anyone that has a Wii U here are thinking of buying all retail games they can on the eShop because of this deal?

I don't have one yet but I plan on getting it in a month or two, and I think I would try to buy more games on the eShop as a result. Less disc switching and all that. It is troubling how Nintendo handles your purchase info if your console dies, but the benefits outweigh the risks for me.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Jared

I hope the feature does go live soon. I bought ZombiU on the eShop a few days ago and did not receive any credits for the purchase.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Rhaknar

does this have anything to do with every retail game coming with a scratchy-code thingie for club nintendo? I noticed both mario and sonic racing had one today, and so did the Wii U itself (and I think Zombie U that came packed in)?

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By BrittonPeele

@Rhaknar said:

does this have anything to do with every retail game coming with a scratchy-code thingie for club nintendo? I noticed both mario and sonic racing had one today, and so did the Wii U itself (and I think Zombie U that came packed in)?

No, those have been packaged in with Nintendo-published games (and more recently, select third party games) for a very long time now. Wii, DS and 3DS games also have them.

Side note, I've actually gotten some pretty cool stuff from redeeming those Club Nintendo points.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Sargus

@Rhaknar said:

No, those have been packaged in with Nintendo-published games (and more recently, select third party games) for a very long time now. Wii, DS and 3DS games also have them.

Side note, I've actually gotten some pretty cool stuff from redeeming those Club Nintendo points.

So I should redeem all of those then? Been ignoring them tbh
    BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By BrittonPeele

@Rhaknar: I personally like doing it because of the free stuff they offer, but whether or not such stuff is worth the effort of redeeming codes and completing (short) surveys is totally up to you. You might just check out the Club Nintendo website to see if anything there catches your eye.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.