Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Possible Potential Limit?

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

This might have already been answered somewhere (and if it has, I apologize), but is the remote-play feature common across all games or just something devs allow? Because while, in theory, this sounds like a cool idea, it could also be seriously limiting in terms of what the wiipad (or whatever it's called) can do.  

Imagine that the wiipad does something unique for some new game (we'll just assume Mario) that could not be done with any other controller. Great! Exciting! But then when you go to remote-play the game would be on your screen, meaning whatever unique function it was doing is now gone; the way you played this new Mario game would have to fundamentally change when the number of screens and/or inputs drops. 

I'm sure there is some work around for this, but it seems to me that the only way to keep the game from breaking in remote-play is to just make the content on the screen something superfluous and redundant. It has to be accessible/doable from within the game itself. Thus, I'm worried it'll mostly just be stats, maps, etc that end up being on that screen and not necessarily anything incredibly unique unless they program the game to work in two different ways (which, in terms of ports, will likely not happen). 

If anyone can think of an easier solution to this problem, I'd love to hear it.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By TehFlan

Yeah, that occurred to me, too. I can't really think of an easy solution. Maybe using two of the controllers? That would just be weird, and you'd have to like mount one up or something.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't think any of us can answer that, seeing how none of us work for Nintendo and the console hasn't been released.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

I have also thought of this. Hopefully this limitation will prevent designers from randomly shoehorning the thing into gameplay.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Akrid

The Wii U is ramping up to be even more of a clusterfuck then the WIi was for developers. There's the issue you mentioned, plus the necessity to design around two completely different control schemes - one of which has always been completely terrible - and make them work in tandem for X more years. Nintendo screwed up by again creating something that only they know how to properly utilize.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By galiant

I don't think this'll be any good at all until I can play a game to see it used well for myself. The trailer doesn't convince me, really.

cartvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By cartvader

Do you think 3rd parties are going to develop "special stuff" for the new controller's screen?  I can't really see 3rd parties wanting to spend the time/resources on developing something that only one console can use on cross platform games.  I know they are developing some stuff special for Kinect but a lot of the voice stuff can easily be done w/ a headset rather than Kinect.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BrockNRolla

I imagine most of these games will only implement facile things like menus using the screen. I would bet there isn't going to be any serious support from 3rd parties on any special features simply because it wouldn't behoove them to do the extra work.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#9  Edited By Grumbel
    @CrossTheAtlantic said:
     If anyone can think of an easier solution to this problem, I'd love to hear it.
    The solution to the problem in the Zelda:HD demo was to provide a button in remote-mode to show the inventory instead of always showing the inventory. So at least in that case the solution should be relativity easy and obvious. For other games you could probably move pieces of the screen into the HUD. But for more complex games where the screen isn't just a nice addition, but a more central part of the gameplay, yep, that could totally become a problem, shooting ninja stars at a TV will certainly be hard if you don't have a TV.

Will be interesting to see how Nintendo solves that. Maybe they establish a different brand for different classes of games, like Microsoft does with Kinect, where the boxes have different colors and a big "Kinect" on the front, so that you have a class of simple casual games that always work with the screen controller and a different class for regular games that might not work on it. They might of course also simply enforce compatibility via their developers guidelines, but that might ruin some interesting ideas.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho
    @Akrid said:
    The Wii U is ramping up to be even more of a clusterfuck then the WIi was for developers. There's the issue you mentioned, plus the necessity to design around two completely different control schemes - one of which has always been completely terrible - and make them work in tandem for X more years. Nintendo screwed up by again creating something that only they know how to properly utilize.
    dumdumdumdum 
    Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By Hardgamer
    @ryanwho said:
    @Akrid said:
    dumdumdumdum 
    ?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Hardgamer said:

@ryanwho said:
    @Akrid said:
    The Wii U is ramping up to be even more of a clusterfuck then the WIi was for developers. There's the issue you mentioned, plus the necessity to design around two completely different control schemes - one of which has always been completely terrible - and make them work in tandem for X more years. Nintendo screwed up by again creating something that only they know how to properly utilize.
    dumdumdumdum
    ?

The Wii wasn't a clusterfuck for anyone, least of all developers.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

Half the Nintendo presser was third parties talking about their interest in the tech, and Akrid pulls a "Sony shot themselves in the foot" level angry gamer rant with no substance in reality. Really, Wii U just came out and already you're positive the third parties can't use it and won't use it? You a telepath or what?

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Akrid
    @SeriouslyNow: I'm not sure either of us knows what the other is talking about. I sure don't. Just because it was successful does not mean it wasn't a clusterfuck. It was a mess in that many developers took a long time to figure out how to leverage motion controls in the best way possible.

@ryanwho: I know it's getting crazy support, but when they go to make the games I'm none too confident they'll figure out the many brand new design problems that the Wii U presents. Between the necessity to pretty well always have to design around 2 very different controllers, the fact that there can only be one tablet controller, and the issue that this thread is about, that's a lot of new information for a developer to consider. And that's only the hardware problems. How do you make a tablet interface with a front facing camera, a gyroscope, and IR sensors fun? I personally think that the first spate of games will fail at at least a few of these, until the issues get sussed out and are set in stone. Of course, I suspect many developers will opt to make the games the only way they know how and use just one or two of the new features of the console, and Nintendo is smart in actually offering that option this time round, but those who want to take full advantage of what is offered to them will have a hell of a time figuring all this craziness out.

Of course there's no evidence to support this. It's just my prediction, of the non-psychic variety. I'm just going by precedent: I've observed that Nintendo were the only ones who really knew how to handle and utilize the Wii to it's fullest potential near it's launch. Eventually everyone else caught on, but it took quite a while to sort out how to use the thing. The Wii U seems to be equally enigmatic in that it presents just as many unknowns to the 3rd party developer as the Wii did. I suspect it'll take a while to figure out how exactly they can use this new tech to make games that are actually fun to play!

It won't sink Nintendo, so "screwed up" is perhaps a harsh choice of words. I apologize for speaking in absolutes, in general.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Akrid said:

@SeriouslyNow: I'm not sure either of us knows what the other is talking about. I sure don't. Just because it was successful does not mean it wasn't a clusterfuck. It was a mess in that many developers took a long time to figure out how to leverage motion controls in the best way possible.

It wasn't anything close to clusterfuck. It took time for third party devs to settle into developing for motion controls when the majority of them had put all their eggs in the xbox basket. That wasn't Nintendo's doing or fault. There was no mess. There was just a gamble on motion controls which Nintendo took and third party devs didn't - it worked out for Nintendo and third party devs are now lining up to suck deeply of the Nintendo cock - or did you miss their wet lips flapping at the Wii-U launch?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.