Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

What are the best games for the system so far?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

I picked up a Wii U yesterday, I got the black 32gb set that comes with Nintendo Land. I also picked up New Super Mario Bros U because well, duh. I have enough money for one other game, what other game should I pick up for my brand new Wii U?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By jacksukeru

I can't really give any recommendations since besides Nintendoland and "N"SMBU, which you already picked up, I only got Warriors Orochi 3. (which I am having fun with it, but it's a hard game to recommend to someone) and am feeling pretty set.

I mean I think what I've heard about ZombiU sound potentially interesting but it's not popping out as something I would definetly enjoy so I'm passing on it for now. I think if you don't have anything that you're particulary interested in you should just save your money until something more worthwhile comes along.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By cannonballbam

I have:

1. New Super Mario Bros U
    2. Nintendo Land
    3. Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

I plan to pick up and finish ZombiU.

Personally, I am waiting for Rayman Legends, Lego City Stories, Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By BrittonPeele

Get Zombi U. I've also enjoyed Little Inferno and Scribblenauts.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hizang

@Sargus: The more I hear about Zombie U the less I want it, I hated Demon Souls too. I think I'm going to get Little Inferno though, that looks like cheap fun.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Hizang hey you added me =D.

But anyway my favorite game so far is Zombiu. In fact I'd probably put it in my top 10 list this year. The tension is excellent, the combat is ok but what makes it great is what makes Dark Souls great. You are always on the edge of dying and really have to choose what weapon to use. 2 zombies? Mayybe you can get away with the cricket bat but it's a risk. 3 zombies? You better have some kind of firearm or a flare or you better run away. It's certainly not for everyone, especially the survival mode which is a 1 life and done mode. But if you enjoy something like Dark Souls, you'll get a kick out of the game.

I think Mario is awesome, but then again this is the first 2d Mario I've played since the NES one so its totally possible for people to be burned out on that now
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Hizang and I just saw you say you hated Demon Souls after I posted about Zombiu. Could you say what you don't like about it exactly? I could try to help you figure out if you'll like it or not.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hizang

@Sackmanjones: It felt to stressful, the fact that if I died I would loose everything and would have essentially just wasted the past hours. I don't have a problem with difficult games, but I do have a problem with games that force you to replay past areas hours back.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Hizang hmmm well that is most definitely involved in the game, if you die your corpse is there and you need to retrieve your stuff. However there are shortcuts to get around the missions so it's not as time consuming to get to where you died. And chances are you didn't complete what you were doing in the first place. To be fair I think this game is hard but very manageable. I'm about to beat the game and only died 3 or 4 times throughout. But like I said, it's a specific taste for that game. But I think people can agree that it's probably the best use of the gamepad so far.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hizang

@Sackmanjones: Hm, I think I'll get it when its a little cheaper, right now I'm looking for safe bets. Think I'll get Little Inferno.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hizang

I got Little Inferno, I played an hour of it. It is the most fun I have had wih the Wii U so far, really dark game.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Vonocourt

Definitely not that Transformers Prime game. I put a bunch of Wii U games in my queue, and they sent Black Ops 2 and that. It's not very good.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hizang

@Vonocourt: Is Black Ops still dead? I think your on my friends lists too :)

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Vonocourt

@Hizang:Yeah, you added me. Black Ops is averaging 600-700 players in team deathmatch. The other modes...good luck. I checked league play one time and it had three people in it.

Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lavapotamus

Might as well just wait for the spring releases if nothing else immediately catches your eye. Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends are coming, so it wouldn't hurt to save for those if either interest you. Beyond Mario, Zombi U and Nintendoland, I think you're good. Unless you missed one of the previously released games that were ported over...I hear Ninja Gaiden 3 fares a bit better on the Wii U.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Silver-Streak

So, if you don't like Dark Souls/Demon's souls style games, then really the only fully worthwhile games available for the WiiU are NintendoLand, and if you've never played one before, New Super Mario Brothers U. Maybe Black Ops 2 if you don't have it on another platform?

Otherwise everything else is bad, broken, or boring.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Zekhariah

If you have not had a lot of experience with Wii games, like you had missed some of the essential titles, that could be an interesting route. Probably not that neat of an option if you have been actively playing Wii for awhile, but the slightly better graphical appearance (compared to the standard video out option) does help a bit. Most of the time my TV had always looked glitchy when using the ancient type inputs.

I've only played a little bit of Mario 2D on the original Wii, so I'm planning to go Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy, Twilight prince as my next titles after I finish Mario U (on the castle area now.....). I have trouble with the idea of purchasing re-releases, since the major ones on Wii U are way more expensive than they are available elsewhere and inferior to the already existing PC ports (e.g. Darksiders II for 60.... or $13 and a perfect frame rate, if your not super DLC aware).

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hizang
    @Zekhariah How do Wii games look on the Wii U, how much better are they.

One other game that looked cool was Tank Tank Tank, is that any good?
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Hizang could you explain what Little Inferno is? I'm really confused on if its just a thing to screw around with it if there is actually a progression.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hizang
    Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lavapotamus

@Hizang said:

@Zekhariah How do Wii games look on the Wii U, how much better are they. One other game that looked cool was Tank Tank Tank, is that any good?

Wii games are not upscaled on the Wii U.

From what I've read concerning Tank! Tank! Tank!, it should've been a $15 downloadable title. It's supposedly a fun enough concept, but it doesn't last long enough to justify its price point.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By JJOR64

I think Zombi U is the best Wii U game right now.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BlatantNinja23

ZombiU is great... what you need to be into that kind of thing. I can totally being frustrated with it.

Littler Inferno is a great downloadable title.

Other than that, I'm more waiting on the titles I bought the Wii U for. Rayman Legends, Bayonetta 2, ect.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By EarlessShrimp

For me, I only have nintendo land and zombi u, however those are really great games. I'm interested in getting Tank! Tank! Tank! I would consider trine 2 and Little inferno, but I already own them on PC and I don't want to have redundant games on my wii u for the sake of wii u games. But, I would still highly recommend those games if you're interested.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.