Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Wii U availability

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By TheAdmin

I started looking into the availability of the Wii U and it seems there are plenty of them still around. Almost all walmarts in the greater Orlando area have them. What about in your area? Sold out? Some stock?

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jdh5153

They are everywhere. My buddy just walked into a store and picked one up the other day. Just further shows that no one cares about the WiiU. The people who bought a Wii (or most rather) will probably keep playing the Wii for another 10 years. They're not the people who want new hardware all the time. They're the people who still have CRT TVs and dial up.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

No where is sold out here. Just checked every gamestop in the area and they seemed happy to hear someone talking about it. Then again, the thing launched right before the travel heavy holiday in the US, so this means nothing of it's 2012 success.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

Saw a couple of basic ones at the Best Buy here in Ft. Lauderdale which is crazy because of how densely populated the area is but then again people are mostly going for the deluxe versions.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts

God I hope this isn't Nintendo's last console. There would be something depressing about playing Mario on an Xbox.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

In stock as of right now on Gamestop.com, both 8GB and 32GB versions. Dunno how long that will last though.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ripelivejam

@jdh5153: but they'll all be dead soon and then the wii u will shine!

seriously people who have dialup still are the worst (as i have to deal with them on occasion at my work. the most ancient slow people possible, and occasionally not too damn pleasant either.)

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@laserbolts said:

God I hope this isn't Nintendo's last console. There would be something depressing about playing Mario on an Xbox.

Mario on an iPad, touchscreen gaming! Yeah, that sounds awful too.

buttle826

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By buttle826

I just picked mine up at the local Best Buy, and there were several boxes just sitting around of both versions. I don't know, doesn't really feel like a proper game console release. If this is what Nintendo's launch is like, it makes me wonder how Microsoft's and Sony's new consoles will do.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ducksworth

I see a "decent" sized stock at various stores, where decent is one or two of each edition. Not surprised though cause Nintendo has stated that they're going to be refilling stores at a higher rate than they did with the Wii, they're also shipping out a whackload of units for Black Friday.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Im calling this console a failure if you can find a unit in stores after launch, all the casual gamers are now hooked into the iPhone\iPad ecosystem now, that didn't exist when Wii launched

@buttle826 said:

I just picked mine up at the local Best Buy, and there were several boxes just sitting around of both versions. I don't know, doesn't really feel like a proper game console release. If this is what Nintendo's launch is like, it makes me wonder how Microsoft's and Sony's new consoles will do.

They will sell gang busters, none of my gamer friends give a shit about Wii or Nintendo anymore, they release the same games over and over. Games have stepped up alot in this PS3\360 generation and the Wii just stayed behind. The majority of users on this site would probably get a new system around launch I would say or would love to have one, but I am just not getting any excitement about the Wii U coming from anywhere, outdated graphics on launch and a terrible online interface with no achievements is just living in the past from Nintendo. Plus if Modern Warfare 4 launches around the next Xbox release it would sell gang busters with that alone, the next xbox and PS3 will have the 3rd party developers doing some great stuff from launch. Again I think they are banking to much on the casual crowd adopting these like the Wii, but I just don''t see it happening again.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ducksworth

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Im calling this console a failure if you can find a unit in stores after launch, all the casual gamers are now hooked into the iPhone\iPad ecosystem now, that didn't exist when Wii launched

I'm not expecting another Wii phenomena, like you said the smartphone/tablet market is what catches people best at the moment but this thing has a solid 3rd party support on top of Nintendo's fantastic IP bucket. Even if it falls down to Gamecube levels of public perception it'll probably still be fine.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Ducksworth said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I'm not expecting another Wii phenomena, like you said the smartphone/tablet market is what catches people best at the moment but this thing has a solid 3rd party support on top of Nintendo's fantastic IP bucket. Even if it falls down to Gamecube levels of public perception it'll probably still be fine.

But it really doesn't, it has Zombi U which is averaging a 5.5 on Metacritic, Madden is pretty much the Wii version, AC3 won't sell much on Wii U I'm guessing. They will all move onto the next consoles withen a year. I think Nintendo had to be the first next gen system instead of bringing out a console with graphics we have had for 7 years. I can see a price drop coming soon like the 3DS which forced them to take a loss on every 3DS sold.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pyrodactyl

@laserbolts said:

I don't see which part of ''I'm 300$ richer'' that is depressing.

@BestUsernameEver said:

Now THAT sounds bad

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I've seen several stores with a decent number of Wii U in stock.

More concerning than that though is the fact that a lot of my non-gamer friends and family have little or no knowledge of the Wii U. Nintendo seems to have done a very poor job of communicating what Wii U is to the casual audience. There are a lot of misconceptions still out there about the fact that it actually is a new console, a lot of people have told me that they thought it was new controller for the Wii or a stand-alone portable system, and an even smaller portion of them knew it had already been released.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By algertman

NINTENDO IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By myke_tuna

@Chaser324: Ever since that initial announcement, I knew the name was not a good choice. I understand the intent behind it, but I guess it's just not different enough. If the SNES was called the NES U or something, I think there would be a similar problem. SUPER Nintendo sounds like a totally better (and totally different) system. Nintendo should have came up with something better. Then there's the whole marketing strategy which is an entirely different story.

Spectrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spectrea

None of my family even knows its out, neither have most of my friends who are relatively casual gamers which surprises me. My mum for example is the biggest casual gamer i know, she is always on Facebook poker, or playing with the handheld games on 3DS (To my great surprise).

Its almost like nintendo are confused, trying to be too many things to too many people. System is too weak to appeal to the hardcore, and not pushed enough or unique enough to pique the interest of the casual. The Wii had a niche, and it executed it perfectly.

Wheres the Niche?

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mcfart

A - The name is terrible. Whoever gave the okay for that should be fired.

B - If you haven't noticed, Nintendo's trying to appeal to the core gaming audience again. They know that the Wii U won't have the same success as the Wii, because those people have moved on/don't need any other console.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ

My interest in this thing would be tenfold if it was a massive failure. I'd buy one for sure, I love collecting weird fuck ups. I got a Betamax deck, a mini disc player, the HD-DVD drive, and of course saddest one of all, the Dreamcast.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By algertman

@MikkaQ said:

My interest in this thing would be tenfold if it was a massive failure. I'd buy one for sure, I love collecting weird fuck ups. I got a Betamax deck, a mini disc player, the HD-DVD drive, and of course saddest one of all, the Dreamcast.

No Vita?

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Roger_Klotz

Just bought a 32gb deluxe edition at my local wal-mart. The place was flooded with them, all models.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

@algertman said:

@MikkaQ said:

No Vita?

Oh I got one, no doubt. Still need a laserdisc player. And I'd love me an Atari Jaguar.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Peanut

I've only seen white ones, but I've heard there are some black ones kicking around. Has anyone stopped to think that maybe Nintendo is doing a decent job of keeping up the supply this time around? The guy at my Wal-Mart told me they've gotten two shipments, not including the launch shipment, which seems to suggest they're simply keeping up with demand (which is certainly nowhere near the Wii demand) instead of letting the well run dry for weeks on end and trickling out a handful of consoles to stores at a time. Of course, it could also be an absolutely gigantic failure! WHO KNOWS!?

Also, does no one remember the PS3 launch? Those things were readily available pretty much everywhere. I'd walk into the Best Buy and trip over a stack of them.

Spectrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Spectrea

@Peanut said:

I've only seen white ones, but I've heard there are some black ones kicking around. Has anyone stopped to think that maybe Nintendo is doing a decent job of keeping up the supply this time around? The guy at my Wal-Mart told me they've gotten two shipments, not including the launch shipment, which seems to suggest they're simply keeping up with demand (which is certainly nowhere near the Wii demand) instead of letting the well run dry for weeks on end and trickling out a handful of consoles to stores at a time. Of course, it could also be an absolutely gigantic failure! WHO KNOWS!?

Also, does no one remember the PS3 launch? Those things were readily available pretty much everywhere. I'd walk into the Best Buy and trip over a stack of them.

Did you ask him how sales are going at his store? Be interesting to see, some places are sold out some arent. When do the sales actually get announced anyone know?

The ps3 launch was a different beast though, it was priced way too high, had a very mediocre launch lineup and had the naivety of sony to go with that. The wiiu on the other hand...i dont know something seems off, like im not getting a good feeling at all about this launch, maybe its just me.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jdh5153

@MikkaQ said:

@algertman said:

@MikkaQ said:

No Vita?

Oh I got one, no doubt. Still need a laserdisc player. And I'd love me an Atari Jaguar.

And a PS3.... I kid. Not really.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@algertman said:

Can you come back in 6 years and repeat that? It's tradition.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DoctorWelch

I have this weird love hate relationship with Nintendo. I feel like they do so much insanely stupid shit, and yet they have these quirky ideas and games that are unlike anything else out there and it'd be really sad for them to fade away because of this console.

I've been critical of almost everything about this console, and now that it's out, I can see what they were going for. Maybe it's just because I've never owned a console at launch, but I actually kind of want one and all this availability news and such is just making me sad. Sad about games, and sad for Nintendo.

I'm sad :'(

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By algertman

@BestUsernameEver said:

@algertman said:

Can you come back in 6 years and repeat that? It's tradition.

And what a tradition it is!!!

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By pandorasbox

They're in stock around here in Ohio, but I suspect Black Friday will demolish the leftovers.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kishinfoulux

I despise all of you saying they're so easy to find. Shit's fucking GONE around here. I'm constantly refreshing all these sites just to see if they update and say "in stock". God damn it.

gregoryc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gregoryc

Central Pennsylvania has dozens of stores with stock. Just gotta call ahead and see if a place has a basic or deluxe unit.

Wondeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wondeboy

I have made a pact with myself that if i can walk into town on launch day and pick up a premium console, i will buy it!

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Dixavd

I think across the board it seems to be that going into a store and buying a WiiU seems to be fairly easy; but going into a store and buying a Black/Premium version seems to be problematic.

I'll be really interested to see how it goes in the UK. There's definitely been more advertising than in the US; purely from the perspective that GAME is going to be shouting about it and they have stores everywhere (and yes that still applies after the big job-loss; they were oversaturated then and now they still seem fairly common). But the other question is over the model of WiiU - due to it releasing here with 3 versions: Normal White; Premium Black (with Nintendoland - this is basically the same as the premium version in the US) but also with and Extra-Premium Black (which contains ZombiU instead of Nintendoland and also comes with a Pro Controller).

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By evanbower

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@buttle826 said:

They will sell gang busters, none of my gamer friends give a shit about Wii or Nintendo anymore, they release the same games over and over. Games have stepped up alot in this PS3\360 generation and the Wii just stayed behind. The majority of users on this site would probably get a new system around launch I would say or would love to have one, but I am just not getting any excitement about the Wii U coming from anywhere, outdated graphics on launch and a terrible online interface with no achievements is just living in the past from Nintendo. Plus if Modern Warfare 4 launches around the next Xbox release it would sell gang busters with that alone, the next xbox and PS3 will have the 3rd party developers doing some great stuff from launch. Again I think they are banking to much on the casual crowd adopting these like the Wii, but I just don''t see it happening again.

Casual gamers don't stand in line to get consoles at launch. They'll get them for the holidays this year, or maybe next, and that will be that.

xxxlynchxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By xxxlynchxxx

I'm in Calgary, and have seen both black and white systems on shelves. Not a ton, but they are there.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dogma

I have a question. How many Wii U was produced for launch? I just get the feelingt hat Nintendo have manufactued more units this time and came well prepared. Yes, it's entirely possibe that it doesen't sell that well BUT at the same time. isn't it good that you actually can buy the darn thing if you want it? Do people really want to go through the Wii spectacle again with almost a year of shortages? That is NOT a good way to sell your system. I may build hype but what counts for customers is that the system is avalible. Is it really a measure of failure to say that you can't find a console? That is such a assbackwards way of looking at things.

When the next Xbox launches. Will it sell out? Mabey. But is it because of a low count of units or because it's stupid popular?

As I said. I'm very curious to know how many units Nintedo put on shelves.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

To all of you saying Nintendo is doomed it's far too early to say that It could be a bad sign yes but it could also mean Nintendo was actually prepared this time in terms of stocking and unit availability.

On Topic though here in Arkansas at least where I live there isn't stock within 50 miles.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Sackmanjones

Man I picked mine up Wednesday and it was the only one left at GameStop. Everywhere else was sold out. I did here they sending out shipments for Black Friday but that sounds nuts how many there are. I gotta say though, I think the system is really cool. I could see some truly unique games on there.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LiquidPrince

@algertman said:

@MikkaQ said:

No Vita?

The Vita is hardly a failure...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MikkaQ

@LiquidPrince said:

@algertman said:

@MikkaQ said:

No Vita?

But calling it anything else would just be dishonest hah. To be continually outsold by the last generation of your own product and your competitor's last-gen product is pretty messed up. I mean I like my Vita, but come on. That thing is tanking hard.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By Nomin

I see them out of stock online in BC, but they are available in retail locations.

I don't see Wii U as being a failure, but I don't see how it will sell as well as Wii did, either. Just a rough estimate, but I see them selling 3 million units over the holidays in NA market.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By algertman

@LiquidPrince said:

@algertman said:

@MikkaQ said:

No Vita?

Shiiiiiiiiiiit.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JazzyJeff

I live near Detroit. Stock here is limited, but you can find them. I went to Target first, and they were sold out of both models. I tried Walmart right after, and was able to go back to electronics and grab one painlessly. There were two of each model in stock.

This was the first console launch in a long time where I didn't have to wait in line all night to get one. I hope it's because Nintendo is keeping up with demand, and not because people don't give a shit.

MonkeyMitcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MonkeyMitcho

Seems there's a lot of basic ones around but i'm not sure about premium however i think the WiiU sold pretty good but Nintendo did a better job stocking stores than the Wii.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By EXTomar

It is a very different landscape from the Wii launch in 2006 where dynamics have changed. I'm not sure the WiiU is a failure but it isn't going to sell as well just due to those changes.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By fattony12000

NOT OUT IN THE UK UNTIL THE 30TH.

THANKS MARIO.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Choffy

@BestUsernameEver said:

@laserbolts said:

But Pokemon on an iPhone? Now THAT'S a good idea.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't know if it's sales numbers or stock numbers but I just got back from a day of Christmas shopping and every store around here (Halifax, Nova Scotia) appeared fully stocked with both the basic and premium SKUs.

I'm not making any calls but it does feel kind of weird seeing shelves full of them with nobody even checking them out or thumbing through its games - and it's double weird that not a single person I know has even considered picking one up yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.