Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Help with hooking a Nintendo Wii (original) to LG OLED55B6P

Rentagosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all, not sure if anyone can help with this or not, but thought there would be no harm in asking. I have an original Wii with composite (Red, Yellow, White) out which I am trying to hook up to my current model LG old (LG OLED55B6P). I live in Japan so both the LG TV and Wii are Japanese models, though I don't think that matters. The LG tv comes with a composite breakout cable which I have tried hooking the Wii up to, but 1) I get no video and 2) I get a loud buzzing through the TV. I can barely hear the Wii background music behind the loud buzzing sound. I have tried the connection in all variations just to make sure there wasn't some color labeling error at the manufacturing plant. Have also tried a $5 composite to HDMI adapter which got the sound through fine, but left me with a pretty subpar picture and a persistent "waving" (some kind of interference or feedback perhaps?) in the picture. The only way I've gotten it to work perfectly is to hook it up through my old Blu-ray/HDD combo and then run that to the TV. Unfortunately, the Blu-ray/HDD is on its last legs, and has a constant GIANT error message on the screen that can't be erased telling me that the HDD has an error and to call the tech number. Any ideas on the cheapest and most effective way to get this Wii working on my tv?? Primarily for my 5 year old son who loves the Wii. Cheers all!

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You could probably get one of those aftermarket composite cables that also work on the WiiU. You won't get anything other than SD of course, but maybe it'll work better with your TV. Those cables should cost less than 10 bucks.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By dazzhardy

A quick look at that TV's specs say it has Component Input, so, if you can find some cheap component cables for the Wii, they'll be another avenue you could try. I use something similar to these to connect my Wii to my TV https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fosmon-Nintendo-Replacement-Component-Definition/dp/B00CA8636K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504456426&sr=8-1&keywords=wii+component+cable

Rentagosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Rentagosa

@guthwulf: cheers! Any WiiU composite cable works with Wii?

Thanks dazz, I had thot of that, but looking on Amazon Japan the component cables were ridiculously overpriced. Maybe I'll check a recycle shop. Thanks guys!

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By guthwulf

Yeah, the basic WiiU cables also work on the Wii. Only the powerbrick isn't interchangeable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.