Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wild Arms 3

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 14, 2002

Traditional role playing game with an Old West theme.

RPG Retrospective - Wild Arms 3

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

It's been a ridiculously long time since I wrote one of these RPG Retrospectives. I had originally intended on writing one of these every week or two for various old-school RPGs to beef up Giant Bomb's lack of RPG coverage, and as I always do with my planned blog features, I failed miserably. However, I did write a few, namely for Quest for Glory, Star Ocean: First Departure, Tales of the Abyss, and Grandia.

What these Retrospectives aim to do is fairly simply. I play older RPGs, completely at random or whenever the mood strikes me, as thoroughly as possible to determine how they compare to similar RPGs and if they hold up today. I also analyze whether or not the cost versus the value of the game in the period of time that the blog is written, so keep in mind that the availability and access might not always be up-to-date.

While I had originally intended on writing about the Wild ARMs games in order (and in fact, I played through the first two games early last year in an effort to prepare for their Retrospectives), neither game is fresh enough in my memory to actually write about them. While cleaning out my stacks of games for a trade-in to Amazon, I came across Wild ARMs 3 and decided to toss it into the PS2 for no good reason whatsoever. It's a game I haven't revisited in quite some time, so I was excited to see how it holds up.

First, Some History

You know those games you always see on a Hastings discount corner? The five dollar budget games that never seem to disappear from the shelves and eveybody seems to ignore? Wild ARMs 3 was one of those games. I first bought it for my brother, who at that point owned a PS2 while I had an Xbox in 2002. I only got a chance to play through the prologue before revisiting the game when I finally got my mitts on my own PS2 in 2004.

Truthfully, it was a little underwhelming at the time. At that point, Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts were the system's RPG behemoths, and they were dirt cheap, too. And over on the Xbox, Morrowind was consuming my every waking moment, leaving me with little desire to play through a JRPG that seemed a bit too much like its predecessors.

For those unfamiliar, Wild ARMs games are turn-based JRPGs of the old guard. There are random breakaway battles that will no doubt make some today cringe, but the game earns some points for having the option to skip battles (until an exploratory gauge runs out, at which point battles become mandatory until the gauge is refilled by finding crystals in caverns or resting at an inn). The first two Wild ARMs games featured a limited number of characters armed with, well, ARMs - essentially upgradeable guns. Other characters were armed either with magic or special combat skills. All characters could be complemented by Guardians, which were the Wild ARMs equivalent of summons from the Final Fantasy games. Each game featured a cool pseudo Western aesthetic, complete with Ennio Morricone-styled music and names ripped straight from popular spaghetti westerns and Old West lore.

You can also switch between characters. Each is given a number of special items to use when solving puzzles or exploring, such as bombs, a freeze ray, or a radar that helps you detect hidden objects. A fair chunk of dialogue with townspeople will change depending on who you have equipped, often leading to secret areas or useful information.

So How Does It Hold Up?

Wild ARMs 3 feels like a bit of a letdown, even today, especially when held up against its predecessors. It was an interesting looking game, to be sure. At that point, cel-shaded graphics were still a new thing, and it could look damned pretty in spots, but the gameplay felt ripped straight from Wild ARMs 1 & 2, and graphics aside, most of the game felt stripped down. You no longer bought new equipment, but found items in combat and chests that you could attach to your summoned characters With every character now wielding ARMs (but only one per character, without any of the spectacular absurdity of prior ARMs), the characters all feel too similar. Sure, they've all essentially got their own class, but none of them have the scope and depth of the characters from prior games. Mind you, those prior characters weren't exactly worthy of a Saturn award, but they were pretty great.

It doesn't help matters much that the game never really goes anywhere. The villains are introduced early, the side characters are pretty lame, and the protagonists are as flat and boring as any in the series. Part of what made the original two so great was the intrinsic charm of the world of Filgaia and the bizarre characters that inhabit it. Although all the games have anime inspirations sprinkled throughout (namely in their introductory videos), at no point does the series get bogged down in anime tropes. This is true even of Wild ARMs 3, but I wouldn't have minded just a bit more flair, a bit more character to the whole game. Everything feels just a little subdued. Part of that stems from the "end-of-the-world" theme that hangs over most of the game. But part of it is just a lackluster story filled with lackluster characters.

That said? It's still a pretty terrific RPG in terms of its mechanics, dungeoning, and pacing. You find a town, buy some upgrades for your guns, grab a few bits of information from the locals, and you go hunt down the next dungeon. It's a tried-and-true formula, and it works spectacularly well for me. True, the random battles seem to be a bit much, closing in dangerously on Suikoden IV in terms of frequency, but early in the game, you can start stealing items from easy monsters that allow you to fast travel around the world, and you're given pretty easy access to save points (through the use of Gimel Coins, a not-so-rare special item that can also be used to continue should you fail in a battle). I feel like there's potential to be frustrated by the game, but there's a quiet sort of assurance in the game's mechanics that made sure I never quite got to the boiling point. That's the mark of good classic RPG elements.

The game also features tons of extra content in terms of optional dungeons and areas to explore. This is a big game, but a lot of its length can be cut down if you're willing to forego the optional areas. The light puzzle-solving elements in the game never feel overwhelming, and often provide a welcome break from the typical dungeon crawl. Again, none of them have the charm or ingenuity of earlier or later games in the series, but they're still pretty well designed.

Is It Worth It?

Used copies of Wild ARMs 3 are going for about $5 on Amazon. That feels about right, given the dated nature of the game and later advancements in RPGs. As of right now, it's only available on disc and hasn't seen a rerelease on PSN (fingers crossed), but for the cost, I'd say it's worth a shot. But if I were you, I'd go ahead and play through Wild ARMs 1 & 2 first, as both are on PSN and are, at least in my opinion, much more fun.

That said, you really can't go wrong with Wild ARMs 3. It can be a little difficult, but once you learn to game the system a bit (Vanquish + Gallows = near insta-win for every battle) and get to know when to save, you'll have no trouble with it whatsoever. It's a hell of a meaty game for $5, and the battles don't look nearly as fugly as the first two games. It also has the distinction of being one of the rare JRPGs that doesn't make you want to cringe when someone's watching you play it. There are no moments of big-eyed Japaneseness, no cutesy stupid anime tropes, and best of all, no annoying little children or pets pissing me... uhhh... you off every other cutscene.

It's a very meat-and-potatoes sort of RPG, but it (and the series as a whole) has fantastic mechanics that really need to be experienced by anyone interested in RPGs as a whole. There are some bits of kindegarten level armchair philosophizing, but that's about as annoying as the game ever gets. I really recommend it, especially today, when there are so few traditional RPGs on the market - and since PS2's are insanely cheap.

Hope you enjoyed the return of the Retrospective. I'm slowly working my way through Final Fantasy IX, and intend on returning to Filgaia for thoughts on Wild ARMs 1 & 2 sometime in the future. I've also got something lined up for when I finish Lunar on the PSP. Whew!

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I got Wild Arms free on my Vita when the Vita turned 1 years old. Still haven't finished it because I put it off but I really like it. I was thinking of buying the rest of the series but eh, I don't know.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

A good write-up, though based on what you've written this game is most likely not for me. JRPGs are a genre I can only enjoy in controlled doses, and on a console where they are dime-a-dozen it'll probably take more than a claim of competency to pique my interest. That of course leads to why the only JRPGs I play are the weird ones.

Ah well. Nice to see that the retrospective train is back on. I'll be interested to hear about Final Fantasy IX, a game I have little to no real knowledge about other than that I'd probably like it more than VIII.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: I'd at least give Wild Arms 2 a shot. It shares a lot with its predecessor, and the translation is a little rougher, but it's my favorite of the series. The characters are straight up delightfully crazy, there's a lot of meat, and the gameplay elements are my favorite of the bunch. You could make arguments for IV and V too.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@awesomeusername: I'd at least give Wild Arms 2 a shot. It shares a lot with its predecessor, and the translation is a little rougher, but it's my favorite of the series. The characters are straight up delightfully crazy, there's a lot of meat, and the gameplay elements are my favorite of the bunch. You could make arguments for IV and V too.

I second the Wild Arms 2 loving. Never played one and I wasn't a big fan of 3, but 2 was a really fun experience with a lot of cool story elements/characters.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By topsteer

I've always thought that Wild ARMs is one of the most underrated franchises in RPGs. My favorites are 2 and 5 but I like all of them except for XF on the PSP, which has some pretty unfair difficulty.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wild Arms is probably in the top five of my all time favorite games. It's been so long since I've played 3. Biggest thing I remember was the awesome art style. Would love to see this series come back.

Best ever opening game theme:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee: Oh man! I should've thought to have put some of the music into the blog. I generally enjoy most of the music in the series, though I can never really remember the themes until I'm playing them. That's more due to my terrible memory than any fault of the Wild ARMs games.

@arbitrarywater: I wouldn't recommend the third game to you, but I'd definitely at least glance at 1, 2, and 5. The fourth game tried a lot of mostly great new things with the series as a whole, but it's more anime-ish than any of the others and I know that's not your cup of tea. As a whole, though, it's a pretty damned cool series and is blessedly light on the typical Japanese annoyances.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Ohhh WA3. Good ole Space Cowboys

That game was alright, I wish I finished it. But I got too bored with it despite liking it ok.

You know when I played it I felt it like it was really a PS1 game. Not because it was graphically underpowered, but just because it had the general look and feel of the old FF games. World Map, isometric bird's eye view. I really dug that about the game. Something was really lost when JRPG's dropped those aspects of their gameplay.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By danielkempster

Great write up. My experience with the Wild ARMS franchise doesn't extend beyond a brief stint with my cousin's copy of the original when I was about nine or ten years old. I'd just finished my gateway JRPG in the form of Pokémon Blue, and my cousin had a heap of the things on PS1 including Jade Cocoon and the first Wild ARMS. I played maybe an hour or so of it, and although I didn't get very far, it left a lasting impression on me that's endured to this day. I have been thinking about picking up the original on PSN, but given my huge backlog of games, many of which are JRPGs, it probably isn't wise to keep adding to the list.

Great to see the return of this feature, too. I'm itching for your thoughts on Final Fantasy IX, as I absolutely adore that game.

YapaPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By YapaPanda

@mcghee: I was always more partial to the Wild Arms 2 Second Intro (which when that I first noticed BLEW MY MIND as a kid).

Loading Video...

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I remember putting a good 10 hours in Wild Arms 3 and really enjoyed it. Might have to plug my PS2 back in and get back to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.