Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Nubster

My game just doesn't work.

Nvidia 1080

16GB RAM

i5 3570 3.4GHz

Despite spending the last hour and a half battling with drivers and game settings and config files (and deleting them, as is is suggested by a thread made by one of the devs!), my game continues to crash (reliably) whenever I try to initiate a load during the "Find [Crewmember]" mission, and (randomly) whenever I open up the pause menu. it also crashes whenever there is a notification in the background, or even when my Night Light turns on at its scheduled time. I can't even alt-tab without a crash. All of these issues require a hard reset.

No modern game should be this unstable on common, recent hardware. I have loved the game up until this point, random crashes and all 12 hours in, but now I literally cannot continue playing. It sucks to say, but this game has issues. If you're thinking of buying on the PC, at least with an Nvidia 10-series card, hold off for now.

EDIT: Where I'm at right now: I've done all of the recommended steps on the official Steam page from the developers to no avail. Files have been integrally verified, I've I've rolled back my drivers to the previous version, and I've then updated and done a clean install. I've made sure my Windows 10 installation is up-to-date. I've tried all of the settings recommended in troubleshooting threads (V-Sync, async compute (which is disabled for Nvidia cards anyways), lowest to highest settings, and even turning off my second monitor like @rorie suggested). I'm going to completely delete the game and redownload it and follow @coryukin's advice and see where that gets me.

What I've determined so far: this is only after the latest patch (posted in the Steam News section on Nov.07, which hilariously touts improved stability for 10-series Nvidia cards), and it happens whenever the game has to do any hard loading after the initial boot. So, no selecting other missions from Eva's Hammer, no loading into the next story cutscenes, and not even the ability to quit the damn game without a hard crash that requires a full restart. So basically, unless I just want to do the shooting gallery for eternity, this game is literally unplayable for me in any capacity. And Steam has refused my request for a refund, even in Steam credit, despite it being my very first request for a refund ever. So things are going well over here.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That sucks.

I have the same specs you listed but an i7 6700 instead of what you have, and I’ve had zero problems with the game.

That’s super annoying though what you’ve gone through

c0mplete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have that same setup and didn't have a single problem with the game. The only difference is I have 8gb of ram instead of 16. I played the all the way through on max settings.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only suggestion is that you might try safe-mode from the steam play button. I don't blame you though if you do not consider that a solution.

I found the game to be fragile also, except in safe-mode where I was constrained to 1080. I literally just finished it an hour ago (why I'm here to check several threads). And even in safe-mode, I had several freezes.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#5  Edited By psykhophear

Nvidia 1080

16GB RAM

i5 3570 3.4GHz

Despite spending the last hour and a half battling with drivers and game settings and config files (and deleting them, as is is suggested by a thread made by one of the devs!), my game continues to crash (reliably) whenever I try to initiate a load during the "Find [Crewmember]" mission, and (randomly) whenever I open up the pause menu. it also crashes whenever there is a notification in the background, or even when my Night Light turns on at its scheduled time. I can't even alt-tab without a crash. All of these issues require a hard reset.

No modern game should be this unstable on common, recent hardware. I have loved the game up until this point, random crashes and all 12 hours in, but now I literally cannot continue playing. It sucks to say, but this game has issues. If you're thinking of buying on the PC, at least with an Nvidia 10-series card, hold off for now.

I'm sorry you had trouble with the game. I did have trouble playing Wolfenstein II TNC at first; it got stuck a few times but after I updated my NVIDIA graphics card, it got better. Also it helps to have a MSi laptop that's built for gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e25d72b6044
    deactivated-63e25d72b6044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psykhophear: having a gaming laptop got nothing to do with this.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

And this is exactly why I haven't bought it on Pc yet. There's too many technical risks with the pc version right now. You just put me over the fence on my decision. I think I'll be getting the ps4 version.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I had a ton of problems with New Order but fortunately only had a few corrupted skyboxes in New Colossus.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

And this is exactly why I haven't bought it on Pc yet. There's just too many risks. You just put me over the fence on my decision. I think I'll be getting the ps4 version.

There's actually zero risk if you buy on Steam, or anywhere else with a good refund policy.

I've had no problems with the game, myself.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katygaga: Can I ask, what results are you getting performance wise? We have the same specs so I’m curious.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hnke: I’m playing with everything maxed out at 144 FPS. It looks and plays great.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Also yah, prepare for this thread being full of incredibly unhelpful "huh well works fine for me" (a sad pile to which I've already added my own two cents).

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@themanwithnoplan said:

And this is exactly why I haven't bought it on Pc yet. There's just too many risks. You just put me over the fence on my decision. I think I'll be getting the ps4 version.

There's actually zero risk if you buy on Steam, or anywhere else with a good refund policy.

I've had no problems with the game, myself.

I guess I phrased that the wrong way. I meant The New Colossus has too many technical "risks" right now to feel confident buying it on pc; there's an unreliability in that version. The individual experience has ranged from perfectly fine to a mess from what I've seen. I never have a problem with purchases on Pc in general.

Vitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've not experienced any crashes, but performance for me is pure shit. All settings are on medium (which kinda looks like ass) and my framerate is dipping into the twenties in outside areas. This is on a 980.

I'll try again in a few weeks.

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By RainDog505

Played through on 3570k and 980. 60 FPS solid on mix of High and Ultras. May want to do a clean wipe and install of windows, sounds like your PC might have larger driver/software incompatibilities.

Sorry you're going through this.

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was having issues with my game until I verified the game files through steam. It was missing 6 files, which was 1.6gb of game. That fixed all my problems. Give that a shot.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raindog505: A quick Google search brings me to see that other people have had their game shit the bed at this exact point, too. It's not like anything else is acting up either, it seems like this game is just fragile, and the devs even made a thread addressing the 10-series cards on the forum.

@mattchops: Did that already. That's always my go-to when a game is acting up.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By onarum

@the_nubster: have you tried downgrading your driver version?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You probably already done this but check file integrity in steam. And check RAM or your drive the game is installed. Had some problems with the latest ass. creed turns out my drive and the game was corrupted so i had a bunch off random crashes. hope this helps a bit.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Sahalarious

what I did was uninstall geforce, reinstall and then update the drivers, after verifying the integrity of the game files. then it went from not even launching to running perfectly. hate problems like this as much as the next guy but this might be my GOTY so anything that works is worth it

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feel super lucky, I played through the entire game with max settings and never dipping below 60FPS. Only problem I had was the game crashing whenever I alt-tabbed, which I haaaaate and every other game seems to do these days. Sad and surprised to see so many people can't play it at all.

camwil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah dude I had so many problems with the game as well. I played through the game crashing from start to finish. Would just F5 quick save all the time, disable startup videos, crash and I'd be back in the game in about 20 seconds. It was ridiculous. What a shame because the game is a lot of fun.

Coryukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Coryukin

I didn't have any issue with a i7 4790k and GTX 1080. You might try these troubleshooting steps though:

- Perform a "clean install" of Nvidia's latest drivers. Download and install any Windows updates to get your OS to the most recent version - If Windows 10, this is version 1709.

- Delete the game from steam. Then go into your steam folder and make sure the directory has been deleted, if not, delete it.

- Go through your appdata folder and check for any files the game may have installed there and delete them.

- Go through MyDocuments and check for any folders or config files there and delete them.

- Reinstall the game and try running it again. If the crash happens again, determine if the application's built in error checking is sending you a message about the problem or if the OS is sending you a message about the problem, or both things could be. Check for any error codes in these messages and google them. Sometimes you can also find details about application crashes in the Windows Event Log as well.

- If problems persists, start closing background tasks one by one and restarting the game to determine if a background task is somehow interfering with a game. For example, one time I had a user's logitech wireless mouse program interfere with a program install. Another time on my system, DS4Windows caused my discord to get caught in an update loop.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Yeah, I managed to get through the game without too much hassle but I did lose a save (about 2 hours in, not awful but what the hell) and the game would crash if I alt-tabbed to another application or if I was in the pause menu too long.

I couldn't reliably pause and walk away for even a few minutes.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I had a lot of stability issues until I turned off my second monitor. It's annoying that I have to do that but it did help!

Nvidia 1080

16GB RAM

i5 3570 3.4GHz

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: What?! Rorie, you have TWO monitors?!?!

I'm so sorry

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By KaneRobot

@themanwithnoplan said:

Well yeah, other than you can't play the game if the PC is your only option and it doesn't work. Seems like kind of a noteworthy risk to me.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Oh wow I hope that is not the case with this. I'll give it a go tonight, seeing as my request got cancelled anyway.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coryukin: I'll give these steps ago this weekend, maybe tonight if I'm feeling up to spending even more time on this game right now. I'll let you know whether or not it works.

@onarum: Yeah, I rolled back drivers.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overclocks? Mods or OSD's? Happened on multiple saves?

It's crazy that similar systems seem to get widely different stability so i wonder if you have overclocks of any kind or run sweetfx or rivertuner etc, or got a save file corrupted. Has to be something that's triggering it for only certain people.

Just saw multiple monitors suggested, that happened to me on another game before too.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game crashes or freezes every time I alt tab it and sometimes freezes when it tries to load a save. That's pretty much the problems I've had with it.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its so frustrating and it made me basically confirm that console gaming is for me. Say what you want about a lot of it but when I get a game it in the very least works without having to spend tons of time tweaking it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By OurSin_360

@bradbrains said:

Its so frustrating and it made me basically confirm that console gaming is for me. Say what you want about a lot of it but when I get a game it in the very least works without having to spend tons of time tweaking it.

Well that's not 100% true, maybe for this game but there are tons of games with issues that come out on console, and when a game is broken on console there is nothing you can do at all. When on pc some times lowering settings/tweaking an ini file/ etc can temporarily fix an issue, not to mention that the game will work on console but usually at lower settings and framerate(not always obviously). Think Assassins creed unity for example, it was broken everywhere.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower: I wonder if that issue is bizarrely just related to the tab button. The only issued I have is an occasional freeze when im bring up the the big picture menu while running the game. I'm using a controller but they keyboard input is shift+tab

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

The game crashes or freezes every time I alt tab it and sometimes freezes when it tries to load a save. That's pretty much the problems I've had with it.

I'm having the exact same problem. Also my mouse sensitivity resets to 13 every time I boot the game up. It's annoying as hell.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A lot of people are having issues with this game, despite the "all good here, sucks to be you" in this thread. Check out the ResetERA thread on this issue for more info.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GaspoweR

@probablytuna said:
    @gaspower said:

I'm having the exact same problem. Also my mouse sensitivity resets to 13 every time I boot the game up. It's annoying as hell.

YEEEEP. That happens to me too though with the recent update the mouse settings do save for me now.

@xanadu: That's also the input for bringing up the Steam overlay and so far it hasn't crashed when I done that.

GrantDaNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game was working mostly fine (it had some random crashes 2-3 times over the course of the campaign) until the recent update, which is meant to add "stability". And just like OP, whenever I try to advance to the next level with regards to objective [FIND TEAMMATE], it just crashes and while there are things I like about Wolf 2 a lot, the gameplay is kinda losing me and the fact that I can't even try to finish the game at the moment is making me wonder if I'll even bother finishing it.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: no mods, no OSD assuming you mean like an active fps counter or something? I haven't tried another save but I'm not willing to dump another 12 hours into this game just to get up to the same point.

Dokaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're still having problems, try disabling your on-board GPU in the device manager. I wasn't even able to boot the game without doing that, but after doing it everything worked fine. Not sure if it'll help with your problem, but it might be worth a shot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.