Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 13, 2008

Travel to the arctic continent of Northrend in Blizzard's second expansion to the most popular MMORPG ever made.

What are the dualspecs that Andy mentioned in the review?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I cant really comment on any of the talent stuff, but I have to add that I have also been clean of WoW for about 2 years now, but I am installing Burning Crusade as I type this. My bud told me warriors can dual wield two-handers now and I was pretty much sold. XD

Well, sold on him resurrecting my account for 10 days to see if it's what I want to be playing right now.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BiggerBomb

Yeah, dual weilding two long swords or warhammers sounds pretty damn badass.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Patchinko
    BiggerBomb said:
    "

Ok, let me set the stage here. I've been clean from World of Warcraft for a long time, in fact it's been about a year and a half now. But now, I don't know. I'm feeling compelled to get back into the game, I hear a lot of people are too. Props to Blizzard, they know how to market and they know how to make games.

There are a few things I've remained hesitant about, though. One of them being the increased leveling speed. To some degree I have felt that this somehow cheapens the experience; however, now that I have much less time to play video games, I've warmed up to this idea and I'm glad of it.

On the otherhand, what I believe to be the meaning behind dualspecs is making me nervous. The impression I got, was an ability to swap talent trees on the fly. What's the point? I feel like this is a decision that SOE would make, akin to making jedi available for everyone. What exactly is the reason for this? Doesn't this make customization almost negligible? Perhaps I'm misinformed, but this is a major "no-no" for me in my decision process.

Could someone fill me in on how this works? Why make a feral Druid when you can just swap to restoration or balance on the fly?

Meh, hopefully I'm wrong here.

Anyway, help's always appreciated

-Big B

"
    Dual speccing means you bring the player, not the class/spec. You can switch to your other spec the same way you switch armor (i.e. not mid-fight, but out of combat).

There are a lot of people whining about it, which I have trouble understanding. Now, instead of being restricted to a very defined role, you can fill whatever role you'd be best doing for the situation. And honestly, a lot of people were already "dual speccing" in the form of respeccing for raiding and PVP all the time. If anything, it would make me want to be a Druid because then I could be a damage dealer or tank when the group needs it and alternatively a healer when it's needed.

The other thing you might not know is that they've been redesigning stats on gear to accomodate dual specs. That's why there's no "healing power" anymore, for example. And why there will be druid weapons with spellpower and "feral attack power" on them (which they're probably going to change to something that makes more sense in the future, but you get the idea).

This would be tons of fun on my Priest, where I can have a Shadow spec and a Holy spec.

Slightly unrelated, but: You think restricting Jedi to .01% of the playerbase was a good idea? I certainly didn't think so, and as soon as I found out I pretty much couldn't become a Jedi in that game I didn't bother to play it.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BiggerBomb

Well, not to be a dick, but then you are the problem that is largely the impetus behind the decision to implement this kind of feature. It cheapens the experience, it defeats individuality, weakens the lore, and makes customization nothing but a formality.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb

Hopefully, the delay of dualspecs' introduction was due to the community backlash Blizzard may have recieved. I hope this does not see the light of day.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Gunner
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "I cant really comment on any of the talent stuff, but I have to add that I have also been clean of WoW for about 2 years now, but I am installing Burning Crusade as I type this. My bud told me warriors can dual wield two-handers now and I was pretty much sold. XD

Well, sold on him resurrecting my account for 10 days to see if it's what I want to be playing right now."
    Fuck... that is so incredibly badass.

DAMN YOU BLIZZARD! *reopens WoW account*
    Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Vision

I gotta say Dual-Wielding 2h weapons is pretty bad ass and my warrior seem to be critting every hit with the exception of a few hits once in a while.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BiggerBomb
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb

/shameless bump

I'd really like a more solid answer than the one given by Patchinko, a more objective answer. Is this guy right? And if Andy actually goes on the forums, it would be cool if you could fill me in on the reason for the feature being delayed. Please be because it isn't wanted!

Demokk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Demokk

I don't really know much about dual-speccing. While I agree with you on the fact that it will weaken up the customization aspect, it will be good for people who use hybrid-classes. With the recent release of Wrath of the Lich King I've been having trouble getting groups for the new instances, since every group out there is full of dps'es. There is a general lack of tanks and healers, mostly healers.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Patchinko
    BiggerBomb said:
    "/shameless bump

I'd really like a more solid answer than the one given by Patchinko, a more objective answer. Is this guy right? And if Andy actually goes on the forums, it would be cool if you could fill me in on the reason for the feature being delayed. Please be because it isn't wanted!"
    What more information do you want? My answer to the objective part of your question was completely objective as well: Dual specs let you change specs out of combat, much like you can change armor.

BiggerBomb said:
    "Hopefully, the delay of dualspecs' introduction was due to the community backlash Blizzard may have recieved. I hope this does not see the light of day."

As far as the community is aware, it's delayed for a combinaton of technical issues and the fact that gear isn't caught up with it yet. They don't want druids, paladins, and shaman carrying around three sets of gear if they can help it. They're going to probably introduce it before they get the gear issue completely handeled after they get it working technically.

Not sure what more "solid" an answer you want from people at GiantBomb. Here's a thread from today where Ghostcrawler says clearly that he's not sure when it will be released: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=12891016624&pageNo=1&sid=1

(Also note that most people are anxious to get the change, and pretty much nobody is saying they don't want it. If anything, some people want more than two spec possibiities.)

BiggerBomb said:
    "

Well, not to be a dick, but then you are the problem that is largely the impetus behind the decision to implement this kind of feature. It cheapens the experience, it defeats individuality, weakens the lore, and makes customization nothing but a formality.

"

"This guy"? "You are the problem"? Just because you disagree with me is no reason to be an asshat. Clearly I'm more informed than you are, so get off your high horse. instead of saying "not to be a dick but" how about you just not be a dick at all?

If it "cheapens your experience", don't play. Trust me, the vast majority of WoW players disagree. Especially those who play a class that has a pidgeon-holed PVE spec that sucks in PVP and vice-versa. Note the thread I linked and how most people in it are hybrid players. Shocking, I know.

It "defeats individuality"? Think that through. How many specs for a given situation does each class have? A druid chooses to be a moonkin and is stuck as spell-casting DPS for eternity unless he or she wants to pay out the nose for a respec because the guild needs a healer that night. Is that individuality, or is that getting screwed over?

Gets rid of customization? If a hunter wants to be Beast Mastery one day and Marksmanship the next day, right now he pays however much gold it costs for a respec. With dual specs, he can do it on the fly, whenever he feels like it. A warrior wants to tank for one boss and DPS for the next boss? He can change between the two. Or what if he feels like PVPing as Fury AND Arms, shifting around when he's out of combat, just for the heck of it? That's arguably more customization, not less.

You said: "Why make a feral Druid when you can just swap to restoration or balance on the fly?" That's backwards. The real question is, why make a druid when you have to choose between feral, restoration or balance? That may at least in part answer the question of why druids have been one of the least played classes in the game since it was released. Better yet, how would dual specs being in the game stop you from strictly playing as a feral druid if that's all you want to play as? It wouldn't.

Think more about what I said, which was a direct quote from Ghostcrawler, the main dev CM: "Bring the player, not the class."

The point of that statement and mindset is that the individuality can come from player ability, personal relationships and other more relevant things than spec. No longer will people be forced to bring the one shadow priest player who happens to be a jerk about loot and a bad sport in general because they need a shadow priest for one or two fights. Why does a PVP mage have to stay frost and do hundreds less DPS or pay a bunch of money for two respecs so he can go to a raid that night and then spec back for PVP later?

Anyway, given the latent disrespect for my opinion and statements so far from you, I expect little in the way of a thoughtful response. I'll just say it'd be a pleasant surprise if I either changed your mind or if you at least didn't shrug off my valid and well thought-out responses to your complaints as me being "part of the problem".

But regardless of what you think, the bottom line is that the WoW community at large welcomes it and people who think it's a bad thing are in the minority. It's coming, and if you hate it so much, you may want to rethink resubscribing or buying the expack.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Patchinko said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "/shameless bump

I'd really like a more solid answer than the one given by Patchinko, a more objective answer. Is this guy right? And if Andy actually goes on the forums, it would be cool if you could fill me in on the reason for the feature being delayed. Please be because it isn't wanted!"
    What more information do you want? My answer to the objective part of your question was completely objective as well: Dual specs let you change specs out of combat, much like you can change armor.

BiggerBomb said:
    "Hopefully, the delay of dualspecs' introduction was due to the community backlash Blizzard may have recieved. I hope this does not see the light of day."

As far as the community is aware, it's delayed for a combinaton of technical issues and the fact that gear isn't caught up with it yet. They don't want druids, paladins, and shaman carrying around three sets of gear if they can help it. They're going to probably introduce it before they get the gear issue completely handeled after they get it working technically.

Not sure what more "solid" an answer you want from people at GiantBomb. Here's a thread from today where Ghostcrawler says clearly that he's not sure when it will be released: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=12891016624&pageNo=1&sid=1

(Also note that most people are anxious to get the change, and pretty much nobody is saying they don't want it. If anything, some people want more than two spec possibiities.)

BiggerBomb said:
    "

"

"This guy"? "You are the problem"? Just because you disagree with me is no reason to be an asshat. Clearly I'm more informed than you are, so get off your high horse. instead of saying "not to be a dick but" how about you just not be a dick at all?

If it "cheapens your experience", don't play. Trust me, the vast majority of WoW players disagree. Especially those who play a class that has a pidgeon-holed PVE spec that sucks in PVP and vice-versa. Note the thread I linked and how most people in it are hybrid players. Shocking, I know.

It "defeats individuality"? Think that through. How many specs for a given situation does each class have? A druid chooses to be a moonkin and is stuck as spell-casting DPS for eternity unless he or she wants to pay out the nose for a respec because the guild needs a healer that night. Is that individuality, or is that getting screwed over?

Gets rid of customization? If a hunter wants to be Beast Mastery one day and Marksmanship the next day, right now he pays however much gold it costs for a respec. With dual specs, he can do it on the fly, whenever he feels like it. A warrior wants to tank for one boss and DPS for the next boss? He can change between the two. Or what if he feels like PVPing as Fury AND Arms, shifting around when he's out of combat, just for the heck of it? That's arguably more customization, not less.

You said: "Why make a feral Druid when you can just swap to restoration or balance on the fly?" That's backwards. The real question is, why make a druid when you have to choose between feral, restoration or balance? That may at least in part answer the question of why druids have been one of the least played classes in the game since it was released. Better yet, how would dual specs being in the game stop you from strictly playing as a feral druid if that's all you want to play as? It wouldn't.

Think more about what I said, which was a direct quote from Ghostcrawler, the main dev CM: "Bring the player, not the class."

The point of that statement and mindset is that the individuality can come from player ability, personal relationships and other more relevant things than spec. No longer will people be forced to bring the one shadow priest player who happens to be a jerk about loot and a bad sport in general because they need a shadow priest for one or two fights. Why does a PVP mage have to stay frost and do hundreds less DPS or pay a bunch of money for two respecs so he can go to a raid that night and then spec back for PVP later?

Anyway, given the latent disrespect for my opinion and statements so far from you, I expect little in the way of a thoughtful response. I'll just say it'd be a pleasant surprise if I either changed your mind or if you at least didn't shrug off my valid and well thought-out responses to your complaints as me being "part of the problem".

But regardless of what you think, the bottom line is that the WoW community at large welcomes it and people who think it's a bad thing are in the minority. It's coming, and if you hate it so much, you may want to rethink resubscribing or buying the expack."

Yes, you are more informed than me. Did I say otherwise? No. What I am saying is that people like you are the reason why developers lower the bar so everyone can have everything. Accessability is great and is in fact, one of the hallmarks of World of Warcraft's success. But at a certain point, you cross the line and things are no longer accessable, they are meaningless.

What is the point in specialization if you can change it all with a click of the mouse? How do you distinguish one player from another? And I'm not sure you know your vocab, because latent implies that I hid my disrespect. I did not and I'll say it a little louder, "I do not respect your opinion."

When you lower the level it takes to acquire mounts to 30, reduce the time it takes to level up, and throw away the point of class specialization, you are minimalizing the quanitiy and quality of gameplay. You are taking away from the experience, cheapening the experience, throwing away with what made the game so much fun.

Buddy, I thought a lot about what you said and I stepped outside the box in doing so. You, however, seem to be of the mindset of "wel if u mak it ezr 4 evr1 thn evr1 winz!!1"

The talent trees were put in place to distinguish the players from others and add more depth to character customization and the player's role in the game itself. Now what? Where's the individuality? Where is the fun? What is the point? Now you're just player #6,904,371. But I guess that's cool for Blizzard, they're still getting your subscription fee.

*Shakes head in bewilderment*
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By demonbear

The point is to have more people be able to tank and heal, simple.

Let's say you want to play a warrior but you don't like to tank. You level your warrior as a dps guy, but on groups, theres nothing more useless than a warrior dps, so he can switch on the fly to TANK and BAM, you guys got a group going, easily.

That's what it is, no more, no less. It's a tool that will give people more options to create groups. and im ALL about that.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb

At at a point, making things easy means taking away incentive and fun. I may focus my energy towards The Old Republic, maybe that will turn out to be my next game to obsess over.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Patchinko
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Patchinko said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "/shameless bump

BiggerBomb said:

BiggerBomb said:
    "

"

But regardless of what you think, the bottom line is that the WoW community at large welcomes it and people who think it's a bad thing are in the minority. It's coming, and if you hate it so much, you may want to rethink resubscribing or buying the expack."

Yes, you are more informed than me. Did I say otherwise? No. What I am saying is that people like you are the reason why developers lower the bar so everyone can have everything. Accessability is great and is in fact, one of the hallmarks of World of Warcraft's success. But at a certain point, you cross the line and things are no longer accessable, they are meaningless.

What is the point in specialization if you can change it all with a click of the mouse? How do you distinguish one player from another? And I'm not sure you know your vocab, because latent implies that I hid my disrespect. I did not and I'll say it a little louder, "I do not respect your opinion."

When you lower the level it takes to acquire mounts to 30, reduce the time it takes to level up, and throw away the point of class specialization, you are minimalizing the quanitiy and quality of gameplay. You are taking away from the experience, cheapening the experience, throwing away with what made the game so much fun.

Buddy, I thought a lot about what you said and I stepped outside the box in doing so. You, however, seem to be of the mindset of "wel if u mak it ezr 4 evr1 thn evr1 winz!!1"

The talent trees were put in place to distinguish the players from others and add more depth to character customization and the player's role in the game itself. Now what? Where's the individuality? Where is the fun? What is the point? Now you're just player #6,904,371. But I guess that's cool for Blizzard, they're still getting your subscription fee.

*Shakes head in bewilderment*"

If nothing else, at least you proved that being an asshole to people with differing opinions from yours results in nobody responding to your thread.

I'm sorry I wasted my time holding your hand through explaining their rationale for adding dual specs.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BiggerBomb

Jeez, way to bring this back from the brink. Sometime it's best to live and let die.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Patchinko
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Jeez, way to bring this back from the brink. Sometime it's best to live and let die."
    And sometimes it's better to not let some Internet asshat get away with calling you stupid because he can't handle the fact that you're more informed, at least as thoughtful, and disagree with his opinion.

But please, question my intellect some more and incorrectly insist that I misused a bit of vocabulary again. Or "live and let die." Whatever.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiggerBomb

Yeah, I'm just some internet asshat. I never said that you weren't informed. I'm saying that there is a problem in the industry and you are, to an extent, perpetuating it. If you think that makes me an asshole, fine. Get over it.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Patchinko
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Yeah, I'm just some internet asshat. I never said that you weren't informed. I'm saying that there is a problem in the industry and you are, to an extent, perpetuating it. If you think that makes me an asshole, fine. Get over it."
    What makes you an asshole is that you called me stupid and acted like I had a limited vocabulary when clearly neither of those is accurate just because I had a different opinion from yours.

Deflect less, apologize more. Or, like I suggested in my second post, just don't be a dick in the first place.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BiggerBomb

Why exactly should I apologize? You are the type of gamer that is distracted by an illusion of increased accessibility, that is in actuality over simplicity. I said as such and you are offended, that's a shame.

I'm calling a concept that you embrace, stupid. Why? Because I see the support for it illogical and naive. And so I disagree with it wholeheartedly. This topic has been dead for two weeks now and if you really think I'm such an asshole, you're entitled to your opinion. But it shows a level of immaturity to recessitate a topic soley for the purpose of calling me an asshat and then proceeding to enter another topic to mirror the sentiments of another poster, calling me a prick for a comment that you conceded you actually agreed with.

Call me a prick, go ahead. I don't care. I'll chuckle at the hypocrisy and turn the other cheek. I'm done with this.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Patchinko
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Why exactly should I apologize? You are the type of gamer that is distracted by an illusion of increased accessibility, that is in actuality over simplicity. I said as such and you are offended, that's a shame.

I'm calling a concept that you embrace, stupid. Why? Because I see the support for it illogical and naive. And so I disagree with it wholeheartedly. This topic has been dead for two weeks now and if you really think I'm such an asshole, you're entitled to your opinion. But it shows a level of immaturity to recessitate a topic soley for the purpose of calling me an asshat and then proceeding to enter another topic to mirror the sentiments of another poster, calling me a prick for a comment that you conceded you actually agreed with.

Call me a prick, go ahead. I don't care. I'll chuckle at the hypocrisy and turn the other cheek. I'm done with this."
    Funny, that's precisely why I used the term "latent" to describe your disrespect for my opinion. You later confirmed that you had no respect for me or my opinion directly and went on to insinuate that I was stupid and had a poor vocabulary. Ironic, given that the term "latent" was perfect for the situation, that you thought I was misusing it. I won't question your vocabulary level, but maybe you should make sure you're right before doing so to other people in the future.

I'm busy in real life. I'm earning a PhD. I don't have time everyday to come on Giant Bomb and shoot the shit. I check the threads I posted in before to see if I got replies. That's not resuscitating a conversation, it's continuing it.

I considered perpetuating  a discussion of the dual talent specs, but what would that have availed me? You would have just come here to disparage me and act as if my points weren't valid while calling me stupid. Why would I want to be a part of that? So yeah, I call a pig a pig and I move on. Sorry if that offends you.

As for going in the other thread, I went into that thread to read it and lo-and-behold, someone else calls you a prick almost simultaneous with when I called you out as an asshole in this thread. If that doesn't tell you something, maybe you should try getting your ego in check and recognizing that you are being "kinda a prick" to people and that it's time to reassess your approach.

Or "don't care" and "chuckle at [it]". But you're not going to win a lot of friends by going around with that kind of attitude. Hey, if you don't care about having friends, that's your option. But you seem to care, given that you couldn't settle with me calling you out earlier.

(I am going out now in real life, so I probably won't be back for who knows how long to check this thread. Respond to this as you like... I'd seriously like it if we could leave the stupid flamewar behind and perpetuate an actual conversation, if you were up to it. If not, that's cool too.)
    aerobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By aerobie
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Why exactly should I apologize? You are the type of gamer that is distracted by an illusion of increased accessibility, that is in actuality over simplicity. I said as such and you are offended, that's a shame.

Call me a prick, go ahead. I don't care. I'll chuckle at the hypocrisy and turn the other cheek. I'm done with this."
    YOU are a part of the problem. YOU are illogical. YOU are naive.
    YOU ARE A PRICK
    He is right, he uses logic and COMMON SENSE.
    If the industry wants to make things BETTER for players, THEN LET IT. How the hell is allowing Dual Specs a problem? How is allowing people to switch things up a problem? How is letting people be a healer or a tank when their guild needs them a problem? HOW IS THAT STUPID?!?!?!  YOU BARELY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT, BUT YOU STILL THINK IT'S STUPID?!?!?! IT DOESN'T MAKE IT EASY, IT MAKES IT BETTER. MAKING IT BETTER FOR PLAYERS IS GOOD.

This does not make it more "accessible" or "easy". It simply allows players to switch between their two specs. It should have been in the game to begin with.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Hamz

FYI people if you feel the need to resurrect an old topic then please do don't continue a long since dead argument by dragging it out of its grave and igniting the flames of hate on the boards. However cool necromancy might seem to some of you, its not that cool when you use it to spark up an argument that has died a natural death. So now you all know that i think you know what comes next, locking....and throwing away the key!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.