Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360 Games Store

Platform »

Xbox Live Games Store is an online store for the Xbox 360 and Xbox One which allows users to purchase games digitally.

Deal Of The Week -really?!

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

"As an Xbox LIVE Gold member, you will now get an Exclusive Gold Only Discount on select content each week. It could be your favorite arcade game, a classic Xbox original, or even that map pack or that new song you have been looking to buy. With your favorite content going on sale each week just imagine how much you can save! If you're already a Gold member, grab this week’s deal right here, right now."

Thanks, but no thanks. You see Mr. Xbox Marketplace, your deals for a long time have been, roughly put, pure sh*t. Add on packs for single games, season passes and other secondary content. Get your act together because right now PSN is mocking you.

charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"As an Xbox LIVE Gold member, you will now get an Exclusive Gold Only Discount on select content each week. It could be your favorite arcade game, a classic Xbox original, or even that map pack or that new song you have been looking to buy. With your favorite content going on sale each week just imagine how much you can save! If you're already a Gold member, grab this week’s deal right here, right now."

Thanks, but no thanks. You see Mr. Xbox Marketplace, your deals for a long time have been, roughly put, pure sh*t. Add on packs for single games, season passes and other secondary content. Get your act together because right now PSN is mocking you.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Get this shit out here. Just look There are plenty of Multi-Game DotWs.

At least with Xbox Live Deals you get to keep the fucking game you paid for once you stop paying your sub.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SuperWristBands

Wait, what? I've taken advantage of Deals of the Week for a very long time and they seem very good every now and then. They aren't all winners but other services don't have amazing deals all the time either.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

You're complaining about new discounted stuff each week?

No Caption Provided
    chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chilibean_3

Oh, you.

Those deals of the week have been around for a while. Not sure what prompted this bit of soapboxing. They're hit or miss but I've picked up some great games/dlc off it.

PS. PSN isn't in a position to mock anything.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By rjayb89
    sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By sirdesmond

@chilibean_3 said:

First of all, THIS.

Second of all, I've taken advantage of a lot of the weekly deals and while some are mostly useless to me, Xbox is not required to discount anything at all and they are for things I want enough that I am pleased with the service. Would you rather they simply not discount anything at all?

charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chilibean_3 said:

Actually PSN has discount deals and I think their offering usually has wider spread. Remember, you have to have GOLD -membership for the Xbox deals so little effort would be nice.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ComradeKhan

Yeah more like "deal of the weak" amiright?... No, but seriously, shut up. Deal of the week has full xbla games with large discounts all the time, and this week I will be getting the Rockstar Pass for L.A. Noire for only 640ms points. I check it every week.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Wikitoups

They had a gold deal for costume quest 600ms points.

Bought it and was quite happy with the deal!

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Wikitoups said:

They had a gold deal for costume quest 600ms points.

Bought it and was quite happy with the deal!

Now I'm mad that I missed this, thanks.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By cornbredx

*sniff sniff*

Smells like gasoline.

Oh, and whats this? Who left these matches on the table next to it?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

Get your act together because right now PSN is mocking you.

You know, with every time I've seen someone from the games industry talking about downloadable games, I've never heard PSN mentioned unless it's with XBLA. I've heard XBLA mentioned by itself loads of times, but never PSN by itself.

Also, 'Splosion Man--which is a ten dollar game--once went on sale for two dollars. And XBLA games are discounted 33 to 50 percent off all the time. You don't know what you're talking about.

It's pretty much just a fact that XBLA rules the digital download space. It doesn't change the fact that PS3 is still a great system, and their exclusives are awesome.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ComradeKhan

@Wikitoups: Yeah, they had 'Splosion man and Turtles in Time for 120ms points. Thats a deal.

charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60 said:

Discounts are marketing. Pure and simple.

You are purchasing, with some funny money that Microsoft sold to you in an exchange for real money , an non-physical item that is provided by Microsoft and witch price is set by MS, all within a MS service that you are paying for.

So, yes, I am complaining if these 'free' deals are crappy.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

World doesn't revolve around you alone.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CptBedlam

I just wish MS would stop discounting the same stuff over and over (cod mappacks etc). Also, the "change your gamertag - now for less money!"-deal was ridiculously stupid.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@CL60 said:

You are purchasing, with some funny money that Microsoft sold to you in an exchange for real money , an non-physical item that is provided by Microsoft and witch price is set by MS, all within a MS service that you are paying for.

Other than the MS points issue--which doesn't even matter anymore, since you can now buy the exact same amount of points that a game will cost--all these things are true of Sony. Why not complain about them?

Or are you really just griping about the fact that you have to play for Xbox Live?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Afroman269

lol this guy.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DrPockets000
    No Caption Provided
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Slaker117

I don't see the problem here.

Scodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Scodiac

They had Gatling Gears on sale for 400msp from 800msp a week or two ago. I bought it and really enjoyed it. So, it's not all bad. I've had some good experiences. I picked up a bunch of Forza 3 DLC for half off that I've wanted for a while. Also, I got Splosion Man for 400msp or maybe even 200.

There are a few other arcade games that are escaping me right now but yeah It's not all bad. Well, maybe for you it is. Hopefully, there's a sale on something you actually want sometime soon.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SteamPunkJin

@CL60 said:

Honestly, I don't see how you think PSN+ is any better.

"Once downloaded, the games are yours to keep and play as long as you are a member of PlayStation Plus. If your subscription lapses and then you re-subscribe, the games you have already downloaded will reactivate, so you still have access to them"

I -can't- get over this. You pay for a subscription, you BUY games from them, and then if you sub lapses or you let it die you can't access games you BOUGHT (regardless if you bought them for a discount or not, that's straight up bullshit). If MS pulled this kind of thing people would be up in arms and shouting from the rooftops. Combine this with the fact that PSN+ has minimum 3month subs, it's a huge fucking racket. At least with MS you could drop a $5 on a month sub, grab a few Deals of the Week and save money and walk off into the sunset owning your games - much better if you ask me.

charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

According to general relativity all co-ordinate systems are equally valid, so world does revolve around me in a sense.

Also what is with the people not wanting to change things for the better? You really think that giving better range of deals would make the service worse?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Shadow

What a dumb thing to get mad about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

To be honest, they do suck. If they went as crazy as Steam, they'd sell numbers enough to impress upon shareholders the move to full digital.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By rawrz

I got every DLC map releaed for Gears of War 2 as well as the deleted chapter or whatever for only $5. Id say thats a rather great deal seeing how that came with a lot of maps. Ive also gotten almost all of the Mass Effect 2 DLC missions for dirt ass cheap all because of the great deals. Granted I will agree I wish there variety was a little more each week since its usually just deals for the same game that week but oh well, some deals are better then none at all.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By hinderk

@SteamPunkJin: You keep any PS+ discounted game you buy when you sub run out. You only loose the free games when your sub runs out.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By YoungFrey
    @charlie_victor_bravo
    Way to change your argument to seem less crazy.  Nobody is going to argue that bigger discounts on more popular games is bad.  And based on your initial position that PSN was superior, are you saying that they have reached the highest possible level of weekly specials?  Because otherwise they are subject to your recent "better would be better" argument.   

charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@YoungFrey: Lets put it this way, while PSN is trying to lift itself to become better service, XL is either floating or sinking. Past does not really concern me for it is all ready gone and presence is all most over, only future remains.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

According to general relativity all co-ordinate systems are equally valid, so world does revolve around me in a sense.

Also what is with the people not wanting to change things for the better? You really think that giving better range of deals would make the service worse?

I'm against DLC and additional online content in general.
    Its not worth the price most of the time, I think they should cut the entire thing and go back to big old fashioned games and expansion packs, but that's just me. 
    Perhaps you have some ideas? I would like the On Demand section to be cheaper, store copies are usually cheaper then those (and that's costing them prints right?) on the demand service.
    Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Omega

Okay guys calm down. PSN has some good deals every week there is a huge list of discounted games with a PS+ account and a small list without, you can find the list on the playstation blog each week. Xbox live also has good deals each week but you have to admit the list of deals are never very big. And a few weeks ago they had a discount on name changes, what the fuck was that?

Lets compare this weeks offering:

XBLAPSN
    Onslaught Mode (50% off)Alpha Mission – Minis – 20% off
    BFBC2 Vietnam (50% off)T.N.K. Iii – Minis – 20% off
    Bad Company™ 2 VIP (50% off)The Impossible Game – 25% off
    Kit Short-cut Bundle Pack (50% off)Vanguard Ii – Minis – 20% off
    SPECACT Upgrade Bundle (50% off)Armageddon Riders – 40% off
    Bad Company™ 2 Vietnam Theme (50% off)Battlefield Bad Company 2 Add On Bundle – 30% off Sale Price
    L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass (33% off)

The Battlefield BC2 Add on bundle includes everything that is offered on the deal of the week including Vietnam for 29.99. 30% off that is $21 I think. All that in the deal of the week is 2040 points which is about $25.50. Thats pretty similar if you consider the luxury of picking and choosing what you want worth the $5 extra.

So lets all stop fighting. Have fun with the deals you're given and agree on one thing at least. XBLA and PSN are still better than the anal raping Nintendo gives you at the checkout. $10 for an N64 game really? Fuck you Nintendo.

charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TaliciaDragonsong:

Some ideas:

Permanent discounts for older items. Even virtual items lose value as time goes by. Lets say you see a deal for for game Xs map pack for 120 points. You don't play multiplayer so, you pass the offer. Few months later your friend buys GOTY edition of the game X and wants you to play maps that are on DLC map pack. Now it costs 560 points. You would pay 120points for it but 560 points is too much. You know it is not worth that. You loose and they loose. If the price would have been the same situation would have been win-win.

Better deals, lower prices. Think Steam sales. Current prices tend to be ridiculous.

For example I bought Disc version of the Dragon Age Ultimate Edition for 10,9 euros (game + all dlc).

XL price for that would be:

Awakening 2400 msp + Return to... 400 msp + Warden's keep 560 msp + Whitch Hunt 560 msp + Lelian's Song 560msp + Golems of... 400 msp + Darkspawn Chronicles 400 msp = 5280 msp

Lets say all are 50% off, making total price of 2640 msp without some content that comes with disc version, like the full game (29,95$ on the marketplace).

Cheapest ms points I can find are 0,0095 euros for 1 msp. Making the total marketplace deal to be 25,08 euros.

~25 euros is pretty far from 11 euros when it comes with less content.

Virtual goods should never be more expensive than their physical counterparts.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@charlie_victor_bravo
    Like I basically said with the On Demand service, prices are insane.
    But the things you named are great, next time use those in an opening post for better discussion value.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.