Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Alas, poor 360, I knew you well.

kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kenjisalk

My 360 crashed on me last night. I was playing Super Meat Boy and it suddenly froze (the screen got all blocky and pixelated and it made a loud screeching). I turned it off and then back on, and now it freezes on the dashboard before I can even load a game.

Am I just right effed or is there some kind of fix for this? It isn't a red ring situation, so I assume it was a GPU temp problem (from what I read online).  Any bombadiers run into this specific situation?  I am thinking of just tossing it and getting a Slim but with school around the corner extra cash is hard to come by. 

ps I was told by an associate of mine of a weird trick to fix it if it is a GPU overheat situation that involved shoving toothpicks in the fan to get it to reset, but I am hesitant to attempt such daring feats of do.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Aus_azn

If your only recourse is to bin it anyway, then you might as well try that last thing.

I would buy a Slim, if I were you. They're amazingly quiet and the Wi-Fi is reliable and fast as hell.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

You can also do the towel trick and force it do RROD. 

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zombie2011

Get a Slim from what i've heard they're the bees knees.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Why not do the obvious and take it back to the store and return/exchange a faulty product?  This is why you keep your receipts kids.    

INb4 tons of MS blame and warranty bs. 

kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kenjisalk

Well considering I bought my original xbox back in 2006, and had Microsoft replace it due to red ring in 2007, I doubt they'd honor any warranty on an almost 5 year old purchase. 

For the record, I'm not mad at Microsoft.  They took care of my initial hardware problem years ago at no cost, and the little guy kept chugging away for over 4 years with no problems.  Considering how many PS2s I went through during that console's life-cycle, it's a pretty good run I got out of the microbawks.
    aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By aleryn

Toothpicks in the fan?  Whoa.  That's an even scarier version of the hot towel method.  Homegrown fixes evolve in weird directions...

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By C0V3RT
    @kenjisalk said:

"

ps I was told by an associate of mine of a weird trick to fix it if it is a GPU overheat situation that involved shoving toothpicks in the fan to get it to reset

"
    That's like Human Centipede shit!

Truthfully though - you can either do the towel trick and force it to RROD. Then Microsoft can send you another refurbished unit and can repeat in 10 months. As someone who'd gone through 7 360's, I just bit the bullet and got the slim and couldn't be happier.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By hockeymask27

Why does he talk in quote. This disturbs Hockeymask27.

Soulderon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Soulderon
    @kenjisalk:  

actually it is the RROD.
    your system is overheated.
    we fix that in our store but its pointless because the fix help the system to stay alive for another 3-4 months and then it dies again.
    there isn't a real good fix for the problem.
    try selling it for parts, at least get something for it.
    Rashermon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rashermon

Get the slim.  Sell it for parts, try to trade it in, or return to Microsoft if that's still possible, but whatever you do, get the slim to replace it.  You'll be much happier.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.