Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Any problems with the New Xbox 360? New RRoD?

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

[Or the "Slim" as it keeps getting called] 

- Im hoping to sell my old Xbox and get the new one, yet Im wanting to know have any problems emerged with it yet? Just I dont want to buy it and find out that theres some sort of spin off of the RRoD where my xbox blows up then collapses itself into a black hole. 
    So, any problems yet?
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Ace829

My Xbox 360 S is working absolutely fine so far. I love how quiet it is. Also I don't know how to fill up my remaining 205GB in my hard drive. @_@
    Also, you broke the forums! Yay!
    Edit: Never mind. It fixed itself.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

Apparently it CAN still happen, but it's not likely at all. Tested's video makes it look like it consumes much less power because of... something. Oh, and there's only one of those X clamps, I think. I'm not really familiar with the anatomy of an xbox, actually...

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WoodenPlatypus
    @Ace829:
    Download thousands of free themes to fill it all up. Or design an experiment to see how many accounts you can make before you fill up 250G. 
    I smarter idea would be to conserve the memory for many years of gaming? Hope everything keeps running smoothly (Y)
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ace829
    @TooWalrus said:
    " Apparently it CAN still happen, but it's not likely at all. Tested's video makes it look like it consumes much less power because of... something. Oh, and there's only one of those X clamps, I think. I'm not really familiar with the anatomy of an xbox, actually... "
    One of the new features of the 360 S is that if it's about to Red Ring, it will automatically shut down on itself. It's not the best way to deal with the problem but I guess it works.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus
    @Ace829 said:
    " @TooWalrus said:
    " Apparently it CAN still happen, but it's not likely at all. Tested's video makes it look like it consumes much less power because of... something. Oh, and there's only one of those X clamps, I think. I'm not really familiar with the anatomy of an xbox, actually... "
    One of the new features of the 360 S is that if it's about to Red Ring, it will automatically shut down on itself. It's not the best way to deal with the problem but I guess it works. "
    Right, also they took out the red LED's around the ring, so getting the 'three red lights' is impossible. That's an even better solution, eh?
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sixghost
    @Ace829 said:
    " @TooWalrus said:
    One of the new features of the 360 S is that if it's about to Red Ring, it will automatically shut down on itself. It's not the best way to deal with the problem but I guess it works. "

What would that do? I thought the Red Ring was a gradual process of warping the shape of the motherboard in the 360, what would shutting it down right before it red ringed do?

Unless it just shuts down automatically when it gets to the temperature needed to start fucking up the internals.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ace829
    @TooWalrus:  lol Good point. I am a bit afraid since I'm an early adopter to this new 360 that new problems may arise. I certainly hope not.
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

@TooWalrus:
    Im confused. As with the first Xbox I dont see why they didnt just make sure these errors were almost impossible to happen. Ive only ever had RRoD once, and Microsoft were great about it, however Id rather it just never happened :/ I suppose its better than what happens when the Wii has had enough :P

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WoodenPlatypus
    @sixghost:
    I thought only the 3 or 4 lights was damage to the motherboard and the other two were open to a series of different problems?
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Burns098356GX

The auto-shutoff feature shuts the console off when it senses a dramatic rise in temperature. It'll shut off before the heat reaches damaging temperatures.
    The console can still technically fail though (just like anything else). Instead of showing the old rings, the power light in the middle will show red instead of green. They need to have a feature built in that shows a failure-warning.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Joshakazam

Yeah, the new one is fixed.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ch13696
    @Ace829 said:
    " My Xbox 360 S is working absolutely fine so far. I love how quiet it is. Also I don't know how to fill up my remaining 205GB in my hard drive. @_@ Also, you broke the forums! Yay! Edit: Never mind. It fixed itself. "
    Ok so here's what you do. Take the hard drive out of its casing and hook it up to your computer and fill it up with nonsense. Hook it back up into your 360 and you should be fine. You might be banned from Live, but hey, you have a filled up hard drive.
    NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NekuCTR

Let me get his strait, all pieces of machinery are capable of breaking down, and ALL cases of RDOD reported so far were NOT subjected to having overheated which was the initial problem. So in short yes it is a great purchase.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By immike

It is better than the console you have now, so it would definitely be beneficial to trade yours for the slim. I'd do the same, but I don't have the money right now...so...go for it!!!

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WoodenPlatypus
    @immike:
    Hmm that poses a new problem for me now :/ cos I was going to just give my xbox to my younger brother and get the new with money from my birthday tomorrow. Yet now Im having second thoughts.. Give my little brother the xbox or be money hungry? :P 
    So many questions life throws at people XD
    Sharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sharpshooter

A guy I work with is having the same dilema and I'll tell you the same thing I told him. If Microsoft has even a half way decient Hardware department they would have found out the major causes of the RROD and factored that into the design of the new hardware. Now while it is impossible to guarntee a flawless production run the chances of hardware failure is going to be drastically reduced. Also if your in the same boat as me and the warrenty on your current Xbox is going to run out in a month or two, its probably best to get the money together and buy.
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WoodenPlatypus
    @Sharpshooter:
    Yeah I guess so, I think Im more nervous towards the fact that it took a while before RRoD and other problems were not as common with the former model and I dont want to buy the new one straight away to find there is something wrong. Im not to sure on my warranty, yet Im still going to keep the money to one side and buy it soon. I suppose there will be certain cover like there was with damages to the old model :/
    maximus_vi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By maximus_vi

^ Exactly. If all of the slim consoles start going down in a blaze of glory like the launch 360 units, Microsoft will be forced to step-up again and extend warranties. I wouldn't worry too much though; it took Microsoft a long time to release the slim, and during that time they probably made sure that the hardware was solid. There's no way they want another RROD fiasco on their hands, especially since it cost them so much to rectify.

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jesus

The new consoles don't give out RRODs but there can be error messages. All is well for now and since they have the new chips and all, things should be getting better.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba519b6e291
    deactivated-64ba519b6e291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No problems with my Halo Reach 360 Slim yet. So far it's all been good, but I think I have a living environment that's well suited for the 360. My launch unit lasted over 5 years with almost daily usage, it actually outlived my launch PS3. And I haven't had any other problems with either of my other 360s, granted they get much less use.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By mariokart64fan

dont bother

i have 3 xbox 360 games installed,

over 150 music cds,

plus 97 xbla games

plus 2 xbox originals,

plus my zune videos which consist of the following

seasons complete 1-5 rugrats

tommypickles 14 eps

angelica oriented rugrats eps-14 of those

a bland new chucky -oriented rugrats eps-14

rugrats love epis-9 of those

phil and lil double trouble x-14

holiday rugrats eps-3

3 seasons of rockos modern life 6 eps each

9 eps of disorderly conduct

3 eps of dog the bounty hunter

1 ep hey arnold 3 eps of doug 1 ep backyardigins

2 eps of raw wwe

and 3 eps of disaster documentary -1s the windy city tornado , 2 =new york hurricane 3 twisters of the plains ,

then all my dlc for gta cod2 tdu 1/2 forza 2/3 and more, and i still have 80 gigs left to spare

i doubt many of you will be using yours as much as i am at least with the music and video department , that actually took 50 gigs , then nearly 120 gor games leaving me with 80 gigs of 250 theres also memory stored for system use you dont get , the drive is only 230 or so gigs , so ya, youll be fine, plus i have 3 gamer profiles on mine -now four as of last night ,

seeing that you should be fine but if not get the 320 gig hard drive any way just to be on the safe side

as far as red ringing i bought a used xbox 360 slim ---no problems i thought i would have problems but nope quiet as heck i dont even hear nothing , be careful though dont put nothing on top , the fan is on the top this time,

and it does get some what warm like usual ,

my ps3 is louder then it lol so you should be good to go

also i kept my 3 original 360s just to have them , plus 1 i use to rip my music i doubt the new slim reads every type of disc and rips it is that a problem is there any one that has ripped a you know burned disc into the xbox 360 slim , cause models past 08 of the fat one gives me those circles with a line every time i try to rip a cd ,

also i believe the rrod was actually fixed with the last run of phat xbox 360s the 2010-late models , they turn off automatically if it even so much as over heats, so these should be even better, then those i have one of those , the problem it had was av port blowing out nothing to do with rrod but still the slim is better then even that model any model made from 2010 should be fine but the slim is better/quieter has more ventilation , plus the fan is on the top wierd but , silent

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.