Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Fallout: New Vegas new game same skins

Jinstarwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jinstarwing

Personally I more than 140 hours into Fallout 3 and the DLC that came along with it. Don't get me wrong I already have the New Vegas pre-ordered, and can't wait to enjoy it. The only thing that doesn't sit well with me is the fact that the game seems to re-uses skins from the previous game. I was wondering if other people felt this same way. The environment throughout the New Vegas seems awfully similar to the desert wasteland in Fallout 3. The characters throughout the game also look similar so do the enemies.  

Paying close to $70 bones a game get you thinking what you get with the package. Fact I probably get more than 40 hours of entertainment from the game but I don't want it to feel like I'm playing Fallout 3 again I want something new and fresh. With the way New Vegas has been looking so far I'm concerned that I will buy something that looks more like a DLC to Fallout 3 than full blown continuation of the series.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MisterChief

They both use the exact same engine and it is a spin-off. I think you are expecting too much.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By BunkerBuster

It might be horribly broken and bugged out like crazy but you should give Obsidian a little credit.  They always had the ability to craft a new experience from what little time they get.  
    As for the whole "It looks the same" it's because it's using the same engine.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By donchipotle

I like how Obsidian is implementing parts of the Wasteland Survival mod, like eating and drinking. That alone makes it worth it for me. Well, that and the robo dog.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Its super lazy, I agree.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By floodiastus

Yup, they should rework the skins more!

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Turtlemayor333

Not to get too preachy but I think a game like this sometimes proves how hypocritical gamers are. Half of the time we're saying things like, "A game's graphics don't matter as long as the gameplay and story are good"  and the other half we're calling full games DLC based totally on the textures used.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By rjayb89

Yeah, more like Fallout 3.5.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RE_Player1
    @rjayb89 said:
    " Yeah, more like Fallout 3.5. "
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By George_Hukas

Are you saying you will wait for the GOTY edition?

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By scarace360
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " @rjayb89 said:
    " Yeah, more like Fallout 3.5. "
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh "
    is someone really gonna start this.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By rjayb89

RE_Player92 is Master P, so he does that shit all the time.

wafflestomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By wafflestomp

I hear it is like two Fallout 3's duct-taped together.

Jinstarwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jinstarwing

That's exactly what I'm saying its little sloppy to re-use the skins they changed up the looks of weapons a little bit why couldn't they do it same with outfits for people. Did you guys see the pre-order bonuses they look exactly like stuff from Fallout 3. I am glad they finally figured out how to get your companions to help you better but that does not satisfy the fact that you are still in the desert with nothing around. I understand is post apocalyptic but they could put some vegetation down and make it more colorful
    @Turtlemayor333: I get what you're saying but my complaint is not with the engine its with ending up back at the desert with jack around and now on top of that I have to watch out not to dehydrate which seems like its going to be a chore. They want to reuse the engine its fine by me I didn't mind the graphics at all its the environment that bugs me it look way to similar to the previous game hence the DLC comment.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By triple07

Yup I feel the same way. I really want to love it but I played too much Fallout 3. I'll end up picking it up and liking it I'm sure but I'm already tired of the visuals. Probably doesn't help that 2 of my roommates played as much as I did so Fallout 3 was always on for a long time in our apartment. Ugh too much Fallout. 

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Jinstarwing:  

I don't know how you didn't see it coming, I enjoyed Fallout 3 too...until I was stuck on Zeta....then I stopped cold turkey. It's literally Fallout 3 but in a new setting. How that'll pan out is yet to be seen.

However it is Obsidian, just be glad they weren't busy making that stuff from scratch..so there are less excuses they can come up with...
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrPockets000

Oh. 

One of these threads.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By fattony12000

I like boom booms.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Branthog

Depth and mechanics are more important than graphics, but with two years to spend entirely on everything but graphics, this should be deeper than fucking Crater Lake. There's little excuse for not picking up the engine a bit over that period of time. Those fucked up "cardboard soulless mall zombie" faces and the shitty "third person view doesn't work" stuff are a couple of my most hated things currently in video games. There's a point where certain graphical traits of a game (the complete fucking inability to render a god damn human face or animate it even passably) actually do become a severe hindrance to enjoyment, even if you're not a "OMG GRAPHICS ARE EVERYTHING" guy.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Branthog said:
    " Depth and mechanics are more important than graphics, but with two years to spend entirely on everything but graphics, this should be deeper than fucking Crater Lake. There's little excuse for not picking up the engine a bit over that period of time. Those fucked up "cardboard soulless mall zombie" faces and the shitty "third person view doesn't work" stuff are a couple of my most hated things currently in video games. There's a point where certain graphical traits of a game (the complete fucking inability to render a god damn human face or animate it even passably) actually do become a severe hindrance to enjoyment, even if you're not a "OMG GRAPHICS ARE EVERYTHING" guy. "
    BUT DUDE, no one complained about these things when Oblivion or Fallout 3 came out !!!
    Those games were praised to high havens and could do no wrong in their awesomeness!
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Branthog
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " @Branthog said:
    " Depth and mechanics are more important than graphics, but with two years to spend entirely on everything but graphics, this should be deeper than fucking Crater Lake. There's little excuse for not picking up the engine a bit over that period of time. Those fucked up "cardboard soulless mall zombie" faces and the shitty "third person view doesn't work" stuff are a couple of my most hated things currently in video games. There's a point where certain graphical traits of a game (the complete fucking inability to render a god damn human face or animate it even passably) actually do become a severe hindrance to enjoyment, even if you're not a "OMG GRAPHICS ARE EVERYTHING" guy. "
    BUT DUDE, no one complained about these things when Oblivion or Fallout 3 came out !!! Those games were praised to high havens and could do no wrong in their awesomeness! "
    People commented about the continued terrible facial animations and the broken third-person when Fallout 3 was released. What people tolerated then has likely become less tolerable two years later, when they have come to expect at least some considerable improvement.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Branthog said:
    " @Tennmuerti said:
    " @Branthog said:
    BUT DUDE, no one complained about these things when Oblivion or Fallout 3 came out !!! Those games were praised to high havens and could do no wrong in their awesomeness! "
    People commented about the continued terrible facial animations and the broken third-person when Fallout 3 was released. What people tolerated then has likely become less tolerable two years later, when they have come to expect at least some considerable improvement. "
    Ah but silly little comments like that never stopped those games from getting a bazillion GOTY awards >.>

PS:
    I'm being super sarcastic, as people who didn't care or mention this at all when those came out, are now up in arms about it or the F:NV graphics
    Also when the new but same shit is released by Bethesda next time, it will repeat itself where the flaws are all swept under the rug as people will bask in open world awesomeness.
    As for the engine tweaking, one wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian were not even giving the go ahead to change Gamebryo, they were told to do a spin off using the existing tech while Bethesda moves on to something new so that's what they did. fixing the mess of an engine that is Gamebryo is unlikely to have ever been within the scope of the project.
    mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By mau64

I'm looking at it like $60 DLC and trying to cope with it that way... It's hard.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Quacktastic

They've made a lot of new weapons and enemies that aren't just re-skins and I've seen shots of some pretty unique looking areas, but they are definitely reusing a lot of assets.   I mostly want them to put a stealth suit in the base game and make the best weapons unbreakable.  It's the little refinements that will make want to play it or not.

Jinstarwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jinstarwing

I wonder if they also change up the battle mechanics. I was trying to play without the VATS at some point in Fallout 3 and it was impossible to play and kind of defeated the purpose of scoped weapons because you could of just turn on VATS and it work out better.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deathbyyeti

with guns

DaStuph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By DaStuph

I'm totally fine with them using the same engine with minor tweaks to deliver another epic adventure in this short of a time frame. That being said, I think it has to end here. The next full game that comes out in the series needs to have the engine updated and really 'feel' like a new game. 

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lukeweizer

I'm looking forward to the new environment. Some new material, but I am a little worried it's going to feel too much like Fallout 3. But I think I'm ready for some more Fallout.

Plus... Cyborg Dog!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pie
    @Jinstarwing: You can aim down the sights now, thats good right?
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Kyreo

Fallout New Vegas is to Fallout 3 as Halo 3: ODST is to Halo 3. 

at least thats what I think it will be like.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jozzy

I just picked up Fallout 3 for cheap, so by the time I feel like playing this one it will be DLC priced again.

roars5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By roars5000

Fight!  Fight!  Fight!  

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It's like Fallout 3 in a new setting. That's enough to get me ridiculously excited. Fallout 3 itself is a game I never ever want to end.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By metal_mills
    @wafflestomp said:
    " I hear it is like two Fallout 3's duct-taped together. "
    So it's Fallout3D?
    Avatar image for lowestformofwit
    lowestformofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lowestformofwit
    @Jinstarwing said:
    " Personally I more than 140 hours into Fallout 3 and the DLC that came along with it. Don't get me wrong I already have the New Vegas pre-ordered, and can't wait to enjoy it. The only thing that doesn't sit well with me is the fact that the game seems to re-uses skins from the previous game. I was wondering if other people felt this same way. The environment throughout the New Vegas seems awfully similar to the desert wasteland in Fallout 3. The characters throughout the game also look similar so do the enemies.    Paying close to $70 bones a game get you thinking what you get with the package. Fact I probably get more than 40 hours of entertainment from the game but I don't want it to feel like I'm playing Fallout 3 again I want something new and fresh. With the way New Vegas has been looking so far I'm concerned that I will buy something that looks more like a DLC to Fallout 3 than full blown continuation of the series. "
    I couldn't agree more.

I checked out the quick look on this site and saw it was just Fallout 3.  I've spent so long with Fallout 3 I'm just not ready for more of just the same right now.  Wonder why this couldn't have just been delivered as an expansion?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.