Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

I need help with regarding my 360's High Def.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By coolarman

I don't feel like I am getting the most out of the hd on my xbox. Whenever I play a game or watch something on Netflix i don't think it looks as good as it can.  

I have a 1080p Vizio TV 

So can anyone help me. 

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By sjschmidt93

Uh... if you have it set to 1080p then you're getting all you can out of it, man.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Babble

Plus picture quality on Netflix will fluctuate because you are streaming it, even if you have selected an HD movie.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By coolarman
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " Uh... if you have it set to 1080p then you're getting all you can out of it, man. "
    if that's the case then 1080p is not enough or maybe i should test out how non-HD quality looks. I'll try that
    Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

How are you connecting? Component (Red Green Blue), Composite (Red Yellow White), or HDMI?

day2daze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By day2daze
    @Fish_Face_McGee said:
    " How are you connecting? Component (Red Green Blue), Composite (Red Yellow White), or HDMI? "
    make sure you have the hdmi cable. component is only 720 i believe
    Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
    @day2daze said:
    " @Fish_Face_McGee said:
    " How are you connecting? Component (Red Green Blue), Composite (Red Yellow White), or HDMI? "
    make sure you have the hdmi cable. component is only 720 i believe "
    Wrong.  Component can do up to 1080p.  However, you have to set it the plug that goes into the 360 to HDTV, otherwise all you'll get is a 480p picture with a slightly better color balance.  Composite can only do 480i.  
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Burns098356GX

Make sure you have your settings on the Xbox correct for your resolution.

Yoshiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Yoshiya
    @Fish_Face_McGee: Component may do up to 1080p out, but it is still an analogue connection so HDMI should be used if your 360 supports it.  Apart from that, remember that this generation of consoles isn't built for resolutions that high; in 1080p mode, the 360's internal scaler is merely stretching a 720p (possibly less) image to 1080p, so the difference between 720p and 1080p modes over HDMI is really very small.   
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cspiffo

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too little details in the OP's post to suggest any solutions/issues here.  Also, most of these posts are full of half truths and fallacys. Maybe you should take your question to a more A/V oriented site like AVSforum.com.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By xyzygy

1. Make sure you have the right color cales attached to the back of the TV. 

2. Make sure the little switch on the base of the Component Cables (where it hooks into the 360) is set to HDTV  

3. Don't plug the yellow one in - that is for Composite.

3. If you have a HMDI port on your TV, use that. 

4. Maybe it's your TV? My games look phenomenal when I play them and I'm using a shitty little 20' Citizen HDTV I got over 2 years ago.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

maybe u have it plugged in wrong. 

netflix doesn't really do HD as the quality depends on the internet speed. if u have a slow internet connection then u won't get HD. when i tried netflix out my internet is slow when i watched a movie normal it looked horrible. sometimes it would have to buff the video.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By coolarman

I fixed it.  

For some reason someone changed the cables and the setting on my Xbox. Probably my brother being an asshole so forget it. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Yoshiya said:
    " @Fish_Face_McGee: Component may do up to 1080p out, but it is still an analogue connection so HDMI should be used if your 360 supports it.  Apart from that, remember that this generation of consoles isn't built for resolutions that high; in 1080p mode, the 360's internal scaler is merely stretching a 720p (possibly less) image to 1080p, so the difference between 720p and 1080p modes over HDMI is really very small.    "
    If you're talking about games, yes that is true.  If you're talking about video then no it's not.  Video output from the XBOX 360 is whatever resolution the target output is set to.  So if you set it to 1080p, it will render the video from the XBOX 360 natively and via the Media Center Extender at 1080p. This is true for VGA and Component, except in a few rare cases where component output switches to 480p for certain video codecs where they specify a 480p output AND your TV supports 480p mode switch controls (generally for 480p PAL 50hz) via component, otherwise it won't switch resolutions and the video just scales up from 480p to whatever target res you set your console for.

Secondly there is a wealth of difference in video quality between 720p and 1080p if the video was rendered at 1080p regardless of interface - VGA, Component or HDMI.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.