Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

No Netflix in UK NXE

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By diz

As far as I can see, there is no Netflix access after the UK NXE upgrade has happened.

I get the same video marketplace content with gems like the "Spiderwick Chronicles" and "Beavis & Butthead do America" being advertised.

Am I doing something wrong? Or has the UK been left out of Netflix?
    Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
    deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

I think all countries and continents, except North America,  have been left out of the Netflix thing, as it's not here in Australia either.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Netflix is a US only service. You can't sign up for it if you're outside of America, so why would you need it on your Xbox?

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By diz

To watch HD movies?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

But you can't sign up for it, so even if it was on your xbox it would be totally useless.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By diz

I'm sure if they'd bothered to include it on the UK 360 NXE, they'd have bothered to sort out a UK Netflix login too...

Note, I asked about Netflix ACCESS... I don't understand why you're being so obtuse.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DoctorTran

NetFlix would have to go international in order for you to access this feature.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    diz said:
    "I'm sure if they'd bothered to include it on the UK 360 NXE, they'd have bothered to sort out a UK Netflix login too...
    Note, I asked about Netflix ACCESS... I don't understand why you're being so obtuse.

"
    I'm sure the reason they didn't include it in the NXE in the UK is because netflix didn't want to go international, not the other way around. The problem is that the HD downloads is only a tiny part of netflix, the main thing of netflix is full blown rentals of disks. That is netflix's brand, they probably don't want to change it by offering just downloads to some countries.

Plus, they'd have a problem with pricing. If they're only offering downloads it'd have to be cheaper than the full rental service they offer in the US, or people wouldn't pay for it. And if they're offering it cheaper, people in the US who only want the 360 downloads and not the rentals would complain that they can't get just the service they want for the price non US citizens are paying.

Then you've got the problem of licensing the movies for other countries, which can be a nightmare, and theres probably even more problems I haven't even thought about.

In short - It would be a logistical nightmare for netflix to offer this service to non US residents. Sure, I'd like it to come over to the UK, I'd like to be able to download these movies on my 360, but as soon as they announced it I new it wouldn't happen and I've gotten used to it.

The only way I can see the UK getting a service like this is if microsoft do a deal with LOVEFiLM, a similar service to netflix but in the UK. Although I don't think LOVEFiLM do HD downloads, just SD downloads (I think), and most downloads cost money on top of your subscription, so it still wouldn't be the same service.
    diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By diz

I heard that they were going to partner with BT for streaming content. This was at the time when they mentioned the interactive quiz show - about 3 months ago. I don't know what's happened to that deal, athough there is no sign of anything.

Netflix UK pricing could have been quite seperate the the US pricing. It's my understanding that you fulfil on the website and the content just streams to your 360 when you supply your netflix account code, so the Microsoft Point universal currency would be side-stepped for national currencies. Since they don't offer a postal UK service, there would be no service offering pricing discrepencies. There's already a general inequality between US and UK pricing too.

Logistical nightmares are the basis of commerce. Its no reason not to do something because there are difficulties. In fact, profit goes tothe problem solvers.

I used to love downloading HD movies to my 360. The only reason I stopped is that the selection is pitiful. But it is the only way I can access any HD content on my TV set. This shows me that the infrastructure is already there to support streaming HD video. I just wonder how much longer we're going to stay with that tiny selection of old films to chose from.

Its the same for music videos. What a missed opportunity...
    FoolInjection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By FoolInjection

To be honest... I'd just be happy with like the BBC iPlayer though my 360... then at least I could catch up on missed episodes of Top Gear.

Lets face it... Microsofts view is that if your outside the USA... you don't matter to us... we end up paying more when you convert the pounds to dollars and get less in the long run.  The only thing that Europe got for the 360 so far was MSN integration as I don't know many people in the USA that actually ever use it.  We never get any of the prize draws, we never get any of the free content and half the features are always missing. 

*shrugs* 

Just sort it out Microsoft.

Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Rorschach
    FoolInjection said:
    "To be honest... I'd just be happy with like the BBC iPlayer though my 360... then at least I could catch up on missed episodes of Top Gear.

Lets face it... Microsofts view is that if your outside the USA... you don't matter to us... we end up paying more when you convert the pounds to dollars and get less in the long run.  The only thing that Europe got for the 360 so far was MSN integration as I don't know many people in the USA that actually ever use it.  We never get any of the prize draws, we never get any of the free content and half the features are always missing. 

*shrugs* 

Just sort it out Microsoft."
    I think they care about Canada too. And, like, Japan...maybe? 3 down, 242 to go!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Sucks. But there is no netflix service in the UK.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

We never get anything so I never expected us to get anything like this anyway. I can see there being a UK version at some point down the line though.

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By CreamyGoodness

stop complaining, im canadian and i dont have it either, your not the only one, DEAL

GiantBombchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GiantBombchu

Just remember a lot of sony released movies can't even be accessed through xbox netflix in America. I don't think its the greatest feature and I don't feel like i'm missing out on anything.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks

I think Microsoft will try to tie up a deal with a European provider. They want to provide a similar service from what I have read.

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
    deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

diz said:
    "I used to love downloading HD movies to my 360. The only reason I stopped is that the selection is pitiful. But it is the only way I can access any HD content on my TV set. This shows me that the infrastructure is already there to support streaming HD video. I just wonder how much longer we're going to stay with that tiny selection of old films to chose from.
    Its the same for music videos. What a missed opportunity..."
    Oh man in Australia we don't even get TV or movie downloads of any sort SD, HD or otherwise all we get is some crappy Robbie Williams music video clips (oh and the ViVa Pinata TV show).
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Wolverine

Sorry my British friends but it looks like Microsoft did not include you. I hate it when they do that :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.