Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Possible new 'Slim' 360?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sodiumCyclops

http://kotaku.com/5495181/rumor-new-xbox-360-model-slims-down

hmmmmmmmmmmm

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SeriouslyNow

The idea itself seems plausible enough but the details seem sketchy at best.  Intel does handle the chipset but the CPU is based on Motorola's PowerPC and the GPU is ATI manufactured.  There could definitely be a combined Xenon/Xenos chip on board but what that has to with Intel seem entirely questionable at best as I don't see either ATI or Motorola working with Intel to make a combined GPGPU package though it could be that AMD/ATI has done this for MS.  IF it is true it makes my mind reel at the oligopolies in effect between Intel, Motorola, ATI/AMD and MS which would need to be in place for this to be reality.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

Wow. This would be pretty cool. 

After all, I remember when the PS3 Slim was first seen it was through pictures from a Chinese factory, just like these pictures.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By ez123

The regular thing has to work before even thinking of making a smaller, cheaper version.  That has to be a rule.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Bionicicide

Should of happened in 2008. Hopefully they build them like the original Xbox's, those were tanks (low hardware problems).

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy
    @ez123 said:
    " The regular thing has to work before even thinking of making a smaller, cheaper version.  That has to be a rule. "
    Well I think that by creating a slimline version they would have to redesign the whole thing. Which would probably help a lot, now that they know where they went wrong last time.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By End_Boss

I will only be interested if Microsoft promises that the new model will eliminate the RROD. Otherwise, no sale.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ez123
    @xyzygy: Yeah, hopefully they have learned from their billion dollar mistake.Though, this gives them a chance to blow it in a completely new way. 
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bionicicide
    @ez123 said:
    " @xyzygy: Yeah, hopefully they have learned from their billion dollar mistake.Though, this gives them a chance to blow it in a completely new way.  "
    They rushed it to the market, safe to say they won't repeat their mistake.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

Interesting......      *rubs beard*

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Teaspoon83

With all the details Kotaku brings up, it does make me excited for any revisions. I do like the look of the 360 but anything to possibly make it run quieter would be great!

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By rjayb89

Man, I can't even imagine how it would look like.  Like would they continue with that concave design of the last one that complemented the dashboard back in the day?  Either way, I wouldn't mind a slimmer, lighter, and hopefully, a much, much less RRoD-prone 360.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By meteora

I am very interested. Seeing how this console generation will be around for quite a while, the Xbox 360 may very well need a reboot. Hopefully they can make it as fault-less as possible with very low hardware errors. They need to bring those statistical numbers to at least lower than 10% or the PS3's level of reliability.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Andorski
    @ez123 said:
    " The regular thing has to work before even thinking of making a smaller, cheaper version.  That has to be a rule. "
    What he said.  RROD is not as common as it was 2 years ago, but you still see people complaining about it every once in a while.  They need to crack down on that issue first before I trust them with making a brand new model.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf

Sounds like a good idea. I'll be stuck with the fat versions of both systems for a while... at least until they quit working properly.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DukesT3

So... should I wait to get one or what? 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By meteora
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " A reduction in size and cost, could mean an increase in heat build up, resulting in warping of components. If it's not cooler as a result of this change, they can expect even more issues.     "
    Very true. Hopefully the CPU/GPU or whatever is needed inside doesn't produce as much heat as the Xbox 360 did.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By WinterSnowblind

They've hinted several times, and Steve Balmer outright said there would be a new 360 model coming at the same time as they launch Natal.. although he quickly back peddled and tried to cover his tracks, this really isn't surprising.  

They've badly needed a totally revamped 360 for some time and if they can launch it at the end of the year, bundled with Natal, advertising it as a sort of new launch like what Sony did with the PS3 slim, I could see it doing pretty well, especially if these cheaper parts means they can sell it cheaper.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By frankxiv

whenever i see a story like this i hope it's like, slimmer, but longer. like instead of stacking the dvd drive over the motherboard they just put it on the side and boom, slim 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Slim 360, 250GB hard drive and Natal for £200 would have me very interested. My main interest would be how loud is it, my 360 roars, I can't watch movies on it without headphones.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rhaknar

its almost a given looking at how the industry works isnt it?

Halo Reach, Project Natal and a new Slim 360 with probably a new price point? We all know the ps3 got a boost from the slim some months ago, and with Reach, this would be a HUGE move on MS for holiday 2010. I hope it happens, and here's why.

For years ive been wanting the 360 to "win" in the US, and since against the Wii its impossible, i hope it "wins" against the ps3 at least. And before you get your OMG 360 FANBOY on, let me explain. I live in europe, and from the start have been convinced that the 360 has no chance here, except for maybe in the UK. I always knew the PS3 would crush it over here, and we don't even need to get into Japan. So I always hoped that the 360 could win in one of the major markets so that both systems could live side by side healthy, since I own and love both, instead of one crushing the other like the PS2 did.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thebatmobile

Wow, how weird. I'm at this moment listening to the bombcast from september where they discuss exactly this.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks

If they've found a way to dramatically improve failure rates, that would be Microsoft's biggest incentive for making this happen, not getting it's size and manufacturing costs down. 

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By illmatic19

$199.99 arcade slim please.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rhaknar
    @illmatic19 said:
    " $199.99 arcade slim please. "
    isnt the arcade already 200bucks?
    illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By illmatic19
    @Rhaknar said:

" @illmatic19 said:

" $199.99 arcade slim please. "
    isnt the arcade already 200bucks? "
    Yes, but I want the slim (if there will be one) so I could upgrade from my crappy launch 360.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

With Natal right around the corner, I can definitely see Microsoft wanting to roll out a new look for the 360 along with the new peripheral.  Maybe shinking it down some more will improve its withering chances in Japan, as well (a very very weak "maybe").  And, I am for any redesign that could make the device more stable and less prone to breakage.  While I don't think the 360 is ugly, I've never been much satisfied with any of the consoles' forms.  If it was up to me, they'd look more like an Apple TV but with an additional slot up front for DVD/Blu-Rays and a hidden compartment with USB slots.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By c1337us

I am not interested in spending more money on another Xbox console unless I really need to.

shadowblazer19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By shadowblazer19

I'm all for it if they can make less RROD.

Avatar image for washablemarkers
    washablemarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By washablemarkers

I wouldn't be surprised if they launched this alongside Natal. Natal-only for $100 or Natal+Slim Xbox for $200-$250 seems very plausible to me...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Tennmuerti

So it's ... 180?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

i don't think it is true. it might actually be natal or something like that thinking about it. i can't not see it being true since there is a cool masters fan on there. microsoft would make their own fans and things. maybe it is just something like a dupe of what is coming out.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By subject2change

Hope not cause I just ordered my XBOX360 Spring 2010 bundle...

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34  Edited By spiceninja

Isn't the 360 already small enough? How many people honestly don't have enough room for it?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sodiumCyclops

the only thing is, i cant imagine that pic being anything close to truth. When did MS sign a deal with Cooler Master?

Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dirty_Harry

If it helps with the RROD then im all for it.. TIred of waiting about 3-4 months to get my xbox from microsoft.

MiDNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MiDNiGHTS

Why would they slap a giant CoolerMaster branded fan right on top of the heatsink?

RUPHI0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RUPHI0

I would be down for it. I will be needing a new one soon.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xyzygy
    @Rhaknar said:

" its almost a given looking at how the industry works isnt it?  Halo Reach, Project Natal and a new Slim 360 with probably a new price point? We all know the ps3 got a boost from the slim some months ago, and with Reach, this would be a HUGE move on MS for holiday 2010. I hope it happens, and here's why.  For years ive been wanting the 360 to "win" in the US, and since against the Wii its impossible, i hope it "wins" against the ps3 at least. And before you get your OMG 360 FANBOY on, let me explain. I live in europe, and from the start have been convinced that the 360 has no chance here, except for maybe in the UK. I always knew the PS3 would crush it over here, and we don't even need to get into Japan. So I always hoped that the 360 could win in one of the major markets so that both systems could live side by side healthy, since I own and love both, instead of one crushing the other like the PS2 did. "

Dude, considering that the PS3 have millions and millions less units sold yet still has a MASSIVE lead in Japan, that means there are a shit ton more 360's in NA. I think they're pretty much equal in the EU. 

I think making a slim 360 would solidify their lead in sales, too. 

@Dirty_Harry said:
    " If it helps with the RROD then im all for it.. TIred of waiting about 3-4 months to get my xbox from microsoft. "
    .... 3-4 months? Christ, where do you live? I takes 2 weeks to get them back here, and we have to send it across the 2nd largest country in the world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.