Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Should I purchase Halo 3: ODST?

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rmills87

I think this question is focused primarily towards those who are Halo veterans and very big fans of the Halo games.  I have played all 4 main story games, (CE, 2, 3 & Reach), and have always been reluctant to pick up ODST.  I don't see an option to download a demo on Xbox Live, and I don't want to make the purchase if it has nothing to do with the main storyline.  One more thing - I hear that you are not a spartan, which means no rechargeable shields along with no rechargeable health.  From watching the QL last night, I guess Jeff said your rechargeable shield is your "stamina." 

SO, what do you think?  Has anyone played the other games, bought this and found out it wasn't really worth it?  Has anyone done the same and found it was definitely worth it? 

Thanks for all your input!

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Gizmo

I personally found it boring as hell, and I played the hell out of Halo 3 (not so much Halo : Reach).

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hitchenson

It's a great game if you're a Halo fan. That's all it comes down to really, do you want more Halo?

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By BunkerBuster

No. I would not recommend ODST.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Personally, I consider it one of the best campaigns in the series.  The story isn't brilliant, but it's nice to have it told from the perspective of the soldeirs lower down..  the atmosphere is great and it has some amazing music.  I can understand why some people would have been put off by it being full price, but since you can get it so cheap now, you should definitely get it.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By trylks

I'll probably wait for the last price reduction and then pick it, but I like more shooters beside of halo, if it is halo or nothing for you, then this game isn't really halo, AFAIK.

BTW:How does the stamina concept work? Do some actions like running use that too? I like that mechanic in games, where you have to choose how to use a shared resource like stamina, probably similar to the energy of the suit in crysis, which is also in my wishlist.

Long wishlist I wish I had more spare time...

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Azteck
    @Trylks said:
    " I'll probably wait for the last price reduction and then pick it, but I like more shooters beside of halo, if it is halo or nothing for you, then this game isn't really halo, AFAIK.  BTW:How does the stamina concept work? Do some actions like running use that too? I like that mechanic in games, where you have to choose how to use a shared resource like stamina, probably similar to the energy of the suit in crysis, which is also in my wishlist.  Long wishlist I wish I had more spare time... "
    No. You have your shield, as well as health, just like in Reach. No sprinting or any power-ups like that in ODST.
    peligroy2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By peligroy2k

Best Campaign and music in a halo game!!!

cartvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cartvader

I think it is worth it.  Buy.com has it on sale for $20 and you can probably get it for less used.  Was a lot of fun to play.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust

The story was inconsequential.  The game play was fun, but why not play Halo Reach instead?  For $20 if you want to complete your collection, then yeah but it's not worth any more than that because you'll probably only play it once then move on.

wubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wubb

I enjoyed it.   For $20 I'd definitely pick it up.  I bought it at launch because I'm a Halo nut, wanted the new maps and liked having all the maps on a disc vs. DLC.  Now that Reach is out the Halo 3 multiplayer disc has little value IMO.  I don't see myself playing Halo 3 multiplayer much going forward.

skinnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By skinnyman

I liked it. As a standalone single player Halo campaign, it's new and interesting. Never understood the hate that other Halo fans had for it, yeah it's probably not worth 60 bucks but for 20 I would definitely give it a try.

As far as the shields/stamina thing goes, yeah, you don't really notice it. Your stamina recharges just like a shield, and you find little health kiosks as opposed to the health packs in Reach and Halo 1.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PillClinton
    @peligroy2k said:
    "

Best Campaign and music in a halo game!!!

"
    Best campaign?  Not in my opinion.  Still very good, but not the best.  Best music?  I have to agree with this, although 3's music is a very close second.
    WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By WJist

If you're into that sort of thing, the achievements for ODST are kind of challenging, but fun. The ODST sidestory with the little girl and the AI is also a fun footnote in the Halo universe.  Know that Firefight is much better in Halo: Reach. At full price, I'd say it was kind of a rip-off, but now that it's been a while and you can get it for cheap, I'd say go for it if you have to play every Halo game.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's definitely the most un-Haloish of the Halo games but if you consider yourself a Halo fan and aren't too strapped for cash I say go get it. The Firefight mode is somewhat obsolete now we have Firefight matchmaking in Reach and the Campaign is short, but the quality of the campaign itself is very good in my opinion. It has some really original music, some great environments, some great level design and the classic Halo core gameplay.

Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cegoraph

Halo: 3 ODST receives a lot of undeserved flak for not being the typical run n' gun Halo game, as it far more focused on tactics than bunny hopping every three seconds. It takes the Halo formula into a unique direction with it's night time, open-world levels. It's quite atmospheric and abodes a sense of dread, as you're a lone ODST trooper who's in search of his missing comrades. The daytime levels provide some of the best moments in the Halo series. They're filled with exceptionally well crafted set-pieces, and better level design than prior games in the series. It arguably has the best storytelling in the series to date. The characters are quite likable and well developed, unlike Noble Team were in Reach. Sadie's story broadens the story, and provides a far more emotionally engaging backstory to the events that lead up the Covenant's assault on New Mombasa.  

It's cheaper now, so I say it's worth it. It contains my second favorite campaign in the series, next to the unforgettable Halo: Combat Evolved.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By PerryVandell

I would say go for it if you can get it for a good deal. The story isn't that great and isn't so much about the traditional Halo games as it is a story about a team of ODSTs dealing with an invasion. So basically, I wouldn't say it's essential for you to get it as a Halo fan, but it's a pretty good buy if you can get it for 20 bucks or less. 

Durandal377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Durandal377

All I can do is pretty much reiterate what most everyone has said. If you like Halo, you'd pretty much be getting more of that, and since its presently $20 on Amazon, that would probably be a worthwhile investment.
    As many people have said, the non-campaign stuff has been rendered largely irrelevant by Halo Reach, but in my estimation you could probably get $20 worth of enjoyment out the campaign (And admit it, the completist in you needs all the Bungie-made Halo games).  
     A tip if you pick it up: If you go about killing the engineers (there is an achievement for not killing them, but you probably knew that already), they are much more resistant to weapons fire than they are in Reach. However, an overcharged plasma pistol shot will always kill them on any difficulty (Though they may be able to survive if you are crazy and trying to play it on legendary with tons of skulls on). 
     Random gripe: I can't for the life of me understand why they couldn't have let you kill some elites in that game. Its not like they were friendly at that point, and I don't know how ALL of the elites in New Mombasa would just lie down and die for the brutes once Regret pulled out. That is all.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By toowalrus

ODST is really good. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have paid $60 at launch, but pick up a used copy for $30 and you'll have a good time.

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rmills87
    @Durandal377: Thank you very much :-)  That was very helpful.
    CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By CptChiken

If you are desperate for more halo, get it. 
    For any other reason I'd say dont bother, its boring as hell.

timmysprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By timmysprinkles

If you can get it for a cheap price, why not? The campaign was really fun.

Distrato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Distrato

I loved it but was very happy I paid $20 for it. Snagging it during a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale would probably be the best way to get it. Of course getting anything during a B2G1 free sale is awesome. 

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By unsolvedparadox

It's worth checking out, especially if you still play Halo 3 multiplayer (the Mythic disc it comes with has a ton of Halo 3 maps).

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deanoxd

its worth playing but i think its better playing it in co op but there is one achievement for collecting audio logs that you can get during in co op unless you do it one play through, but if you finish the whole game in co op it is easy to go back and get some of the missed points.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kishan6

if you really liked the solitude of the halo 1 campaign and the quality of halo reach campaign

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.