Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

The next generation?

polizia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By polizia

I was wondering if Microsoft released a new XBOX in the year 2010, would you guys buy it right away?
    I feel like the current 360 is still new and has atleast tell 2015, i wouldnt buy it off the bat, now i would buy a handheld though if  you could play your arcade games on it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Do you really think your 360 is going to be current in 2015?  That would be like saying the N64 is current today.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Gunner
    MB said:
    "Do you really think your 360 is going to be current in 2015?  That would be like saying the N64 is current today."
    I watched this one interview with several game and console developers talking about how they really doubt there will be a real "next gen" system unless it involved hologram or virtual reality technology. So i wouldnt be too surprised if there wasn't a significant improvement in consoles till 2012.
    Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Unreal_dro

2011/2012 the earliest.

the 360 is selling great and moving tons of software. they're not gonna kill it so early.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Bass

I don't think 2010 will be when the next hardware comes out from Microsoft comes out, but if it was... I would probably buy it. :(

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By kush

It depends on how much it cost and if there was really reason to upgrade right away. That being said, I expect a new Xbox in 2011, not 2010 and there is no way the 360 will still be current in 2015.

lvl10Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By lvl10Wizard

Microsoft are a very aggressive company and it's feasible that they'd release another console early to push themselves ahead of the competition. If they did that though I doubt they'd abandon the 360 as quickly as they did the original XBOX, the 360 is too popular.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#8  Edited By citizenkane

They won't put out the next Xbox console until at least 2011.

But if they did release it in 2010, I would buy it on launch day.  I'm just a sucker like that. 

Terrellism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Terrellism

I was just thinking about the next Xbox yesterday. I am currently getting ready to save up for the NEXT Xbox. Xbox 720?  No matter what it's called I'm going to prepare to drop $600 on the next Xbox.  I doubt the system will be that much but I'm saving extra for the games.

Anyways, to answer your question, YES. I would purchase the next Xbox on day one.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By vidiot

Personally, I thing we will not see anything publicly until a majority of developers begin running into problems regarding the lack of space on those HDDVD's. When most games start hitting RAGE quality of texture detail, and id tech 5/crysis technical prowess, is when we will begin to see something. And that might take a few years at least. 2010 at the earliest.

But even that would surprise me. I see the 360 sitting around for quite a while.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

Some reason, I was praying this would pertain to Star Trek and the lackluster new trailer.  I been duped.

To comment on your topic, however...

Most of the consoles from last gen could've lasted a little while into this gen, but Microsoft completely gave up development on that (and thereby shot themselves in the foot slightly for getting some budget companies to continue having Xbox's sell).  Meanwhile, Sony still pushed the PS2, and it still continues to sell.  That is mostly thanks to games like Rock Band, Guitar Hero, a lot of PSP ports, and such.  Needless to say, last gen systems are always viable for third-party budget companies trying to bring their products to market.  However, now that we have this very fruitful "arcade" setup coming into the current gen, as well as the potentials for backward compatibility, it's kind of hard to see a console from this gen being able to last until 2015.  The online-heavy strategy of Microsoft for 360 will surely be carried over to whatever the new next system is, thereby turning the 360 into an obsolete piece of hardware with no needs (and especially if Microsoft can work out the BC issues next time around).  Sony is starting to fill a niche into that marketplace as well with PSN, but they need a bit more of a solid setup.  Then again, Sony's console has always been a great home to fine single-player experiences more than it has been about multiplayer.  Therefore, there is a bit more incentive for them to keep supporting PS3 even when their next console comes out.  As for Nintendo, man...Lord only knows with them.  They seem to make up their strategies two weeks before they announce them...and SOMEHOW...they continue to sell like hotcakes.  Then again, they have always been about making GAMES rather than these large and elaborate "interactive experiences", so it's still a market they have to figure a way into.  They play a very deadly balance between casual and core gamers, and right now, that balance is pretty non-existant.

I have to say that you bring up a GREAT topic to discuss, and I hope that there will be many more intelligent responses in this blog.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.