Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Time to boot up the 360? Sure.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hurricane kept us on low power for like four days and of course made a mess of outside but also inside because of us moving and taking things down. So in the process of setting up the living room, I hooked up my 360 and PS3. Computer is also in here while PS4 is in bedroom.

Know what I've been thinking about recently that I didn't beat? Resonance of fate. So I put in the disc and started it up. It's agonizing seeing a forty hour save I don't want to load cause this game is different and can be hard, for what it is anyway.

I've hated leaving the last generation as well as even the one before it because of all the games I wanted to get to and never did. Less of that feeling with ps1/64 as I feel like I got what I wanted out of them and earlier. Been on a slight kick of buying cheap PS3 games this year I didn't have, my 360 library is close to perfect for me already.

Anyway, I already remember how much the game pissed me off. If you don't go to the arena first off on the world map and get in a fight, the combat system is extremely obtuse and different; you need to be taught it. It's weird being basically nostalgic for the 360 and accompanying games. I wish I had the time to get to everything.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Most unappealing console I've ever owned. There's not a single game I want for it. Microsoft is terrible as a producer of games. I wanna sell it.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@vortextk: I just got 100% completion in Forza Horizon and am now just about to start Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, so I'm right there with you on the 360/PS3 nostalgia. So many awesome games that gen that I never got around to.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got my PS3 on display and basically hooked up, but mainly because I've been too lazy to move it elsewhere. If PS Now happens to arrive to Finland eventually, I don't really need it for those few older games anymore either. Otherwise I kinda played every interesting game the system had to offer, because PS3 was always my number one choice for multiplatform games. GTA V ended up being my personal swan song.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_navster: are you on a completion hunt for those earlier games? Or just don't own a newer console/money for the new ones?

I'm terrible with stuff like that. I'd be ok with skipping forzas unless for example an older one was awesome and new one was garbage, but things like rpgs/action/platformers I feel a bigger draw to start at the beginning. That translates into me actually doing that, wishing I had, or skipping a series altogether that I want to try but don't have the time/patience for like 5 sequels when I feel like I need to see it from the beginning.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vortextk: Neither. Forza Horizon was a free Games with Gold title that sunk its claws into me and a friend lent me the Ratchet & Clank PS3 trilogy. It just worked out that these were last gen titles that I missed.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played my 360 in a long time, but only because of backwards compatibility on Xbox One. I beat Gears of War 2 for the first time in September (for the same reason that you state, because I want to see the whole series through so my buddy and I are doing that) and while it has definitely aged it was still a boatload of fun. We've also been doing the Halo series, so I played through Halo 3 and ODST recently, both on the Master Chief Collection, and those were still a lot of fun.

On the PS3 side I played Uncharted 3 (on the Nathan Drake collection) this year, and Saints Row: The Third last year (after playing Saints Row 2 on 360 in late 2013.)

There are a ton of Xbox 360 and PS3 games I still want to play, though, and my PS3 is still hooked up and ready to go. I messed around with Shatter and Burn Zombie Burn last weekend, and those games don't feel old at all (especially Shatter.) I think one big difference between the move from 360/PS3 era to current era and other transitions is that for a lot of PSN/XBLA games you could release them today with no changes and they would feel fine. It's not like indie games generally look better than Shatter does.

I really want to finish Darksiders but I started it in 2012 and haven't played since 2014, so I'm a little hesitant to get back in it. I'm pretty deep though, so I don't want to restart. I got most of the way through Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning at the beginning of this year, maybe I'll try to finish that over Christmas.

I definitely am going to play through Gears 3, Gears Judgment, and Halo: Reach, all games I missed, but I will play them all on the One with my buddy. I will also play through Halo 4 on the Master Chief Collection.

But even that relatively long list just scratches the surface of the 360/PS3 era games I missed. Of course I have a long list stretching back to the PS2 era, so this is nothing new for me. I have come to accept that my backlog will never be emptied and I just try to slip in older games I want to play from time to time both to clear the absolute must plays and to remind myself of how games used to be and make myself appreciate some of the modern conveniences more. But I find it pretty much impossible to get back to long-ass RPGs (Amalur was an attempt at that and while I like it it chewed up a TON of my gaming time) or any games with significant grinding, and while I used to play a lot of mediocre games I am unlikely to go back to those either (I just don't have time for filler games like The First Templar or Cursed Crusade anymore, and they basically no longer make them.)

This is a really long comment, but I guess what I'm saying is that I totally understand where you are coming from. The 360 and PS3 era was long and amazing, and even though I got a 360 in 2008 and a PS3 in 2010 there are just a ton of games I never quite found time for, even though I bought many of them. I don't want to give up hope on ever playing Majin And the Forsaken Kingdom or finishing Crackdown 2 (that game is bad but I was like 80% done with it) or at least finishing the single player for Need for Speed: Most Wanted (played a bunch in 2014 and really enjoyed it) or playing Shadows of the Damned. Hopefully I'll get to at least some of these.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vortextk: Neither. Forza Horizon was a free Games with Gold title that sunk its claws into me and a friend lent me the Ratchet & Clank PS3 trilogy. It just worked out that these were last gen titles that I missed.

I just want to add that the original Forza Horizon is so good. It's about to be delisted too, and the DLC will no longer be sale (you should at least grab the free DLC if you like the game.)

It is definitely one of my all-time favorite 360 games.

You know what else is great? Driver: San Francisco. I feel like that game was a triumphant return for a moribund series, it got great reviews, sold better than expected, and then Ubisoft just never bothered to make another one because it wasn't an "Ubisoft Open World Formula" game or a huge multi-million selling franchise.

I would love another game with the mechanics of Driver: San Francisco. Just a truly original driving game that did totally new things, which worked.

I would say that I really want a sequel to Forza Horizon too, but obviously they are still making those games, and both the sequels so far have been fantastic. Given that Forza Horizon 3 is the best reviewing Xbox One console exclusive ever, it seems pretty likely there will be a 4th game in that subfranchise.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By DharmaBum

There are still a few reasons why I still have my fatty elite 360, namely the titles that haven't gone backwards compatible yet:

• Midnight Club LA
    • Geometry Wars 2
    • Rez HD
    • Splinter Cell
    • Mark of the Ninja
    • PGR
    • Ninja Gaiden
    • Vanquish
    • The Darkness

Some of my fondest gaming memories are definitely from the 360 era.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_navster said:

I just want to add that the original Forza Horizon is so good. It's about to be delisted too, and the DLC will no longer be sale (you should at least grab the free DLC if you like the game.)

It is definitely one of my all-time favorite 360 games.

You know what else is great? Driver: San Francisco. I feel like that game was a triumphant return for a moribund series, it got great reviews, sold better than expected, and then Ubisoft just never bothered to make another one because it wasn't an "Ubisoft Open World Formula" game or a huge multi-million selling franchise.

I would love another game with the mechanics of Driver: San Francisco. Just a truly original driving game that did totally new things, which worked.

I would say that I really want a sequel to Forza Horizon too, but obviously they are still making those games, and both the sequels so far have been fantastic. Given that Forza Horizon 3 is the best reviewing Xbox One console exclusive ever, it seems pretty likely there will be a 4th game in that subfranchise.

I have to say that your high opinion of Forza Horizon is more than warranted. I liked it so much that I'm thinking about picking up Forza Horizon 2 before 3 just to get as much out of the series as I can.

I've also wanted to play Driver: San Francisco for a while now, and was hoping that it would end up being a GWG or PS+ freebie. Alas, that hasn't happened yet. I'll definitely keep an eye out for a sale on it, though.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigsocrates

@darth_navster said:

I have to say that your high opinion of Forza Horizon is more than warranted. I liked it so much that I'm thinking about picking up Forza Horizon 2 before 3 just to get as much out of the series as I can.

I've also wanted to play Driver: San Francisco for a while now, and was hoping that it would end up being a GWG or PS+ freebie. Alas, that hasn't happened yet. I'll definitely keep an eye out for a sale on it, though.

I love Forza Horizon 2, but I might just skip to 3, to play it while there is still an active userbase for leaderboards and multiplayer. If you didn't have trouble going back to 1 I might backburner 2 and get to it at a later point (when it's on sale or given out with GWG maybe.) While 3 looks better than 2 and plays better to some degree, and there are some structural differences in how you progress, the biggest difference is the map. I do think 3 has a better map, but not so much better that you couldn't enjoy 2 even after playing 3.

Of course if you don't care about multiplayer or the leaderboard/club stuff maybe that doesn't matter, but there's something to be said for playing a game while it has an active player base. And it's not like the Horizon games have a story to spoil (though there is KIND of a story progression during the series it is insubstantial.)

All this is NOT to say that you should never play Forza Horizon 2. If you dig through these forums you will see I have written many paeans to that game and how great it is. You should 100% play Forza Horizon 2. But I might play 3 first, while it is still the 'newish hotness' and there's a vibrant online community.

Then again, that community is likely to persist for quite some time.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I stupidly put Forza Horizon 3 on a Christmas wish list, and per agreement with my wife, we're not allowed to buy anything on the list until after Christmas. With two months to go to Christmas, Forza Horizon 2 would be a good way to get my fix sooner.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dharmabum:

Vanquish and rez are totally some of my 360 favorite titles and reasons it'll always stay around.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I stupidly put Forza Horizon 3 on a Christmas wish list, and per agreement with my wife, we're not allowed to buy anything on the list until after Christmas. With two months to go to Christmas, Forza Horizon 2 would be a good way to get my fix sooner.

Fair enough. Personally I would be worried about the series losing its impact if I played 3 mechanically similar games back to back like that, but that's just me. Other people enjoy doing that. I just generally can't play sequels soon after each other like that, usually needing at least a few months palate cleanser between games of the same type.

This year I did play Uncharted 4 right after Uncharted 3, but those games are more like movies than games to me in many ways, so it was a little different.

I guess the issue I would have is that I don't stop playing Forza Horizon games until I've kind of exhausted them, getting my fill, so I wouldn't want to jump into another similar game right after, but as I said that's just how I personally consume games.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo 3 and the Gears of War trilogy gave me some of my most cherished memories of last gen, both with friends and by myself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.