Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Who wants a fake arcade?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

Pay 40 MS Points "just like the old days" to play arcade games once, or about 240 points to own a cabinet.  I'm guessing this is kinda like Home? I don't understand the appeal of a 3D representation of an owned game, just let me boot it up.

See the story here.

aerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By aerious

yeah its a weird concept, trick out your own arcade for your friends to come check out, sounds pretty meh to me, plus i hate messing with their damn spacebucks.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Red12b
    @EpicSteve:  
    40 points is kinda steep isn't it? 
    What's 20 cents in Points you reckon?
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jeffsekai

I think it will be cool.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I don't really see myself using it that much. I'd rather just buy games off the marketplace. I mean, will these games even have achievements?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mordukai

I would say to appease the share holders. I would not at all be surprised if this will expand into a Home like app at some point in the future. I think MS did it mainly for the show, you know. "Hey you and you and your friends can hang out in a virtual arcade and play games together and have virtual pizza and beer...oops, I forgot it's MS here...I mean Mnt. Dews and run virtual quarters into the machines. " 

Besides, can you imagine how cluttered that place is going to get? 

Zicdab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Zicdab

I only care for the games and not the cabinets.  I don't need to live my life in a fantasy world and "pimp" out my place like in Home or something like this.  More games?  Good.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

40 MS points? Holy that's steep. For that price I can go to the arcade irl... twice. And for double that price I can buy a GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!!1

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EpicSteve
    @Red12b said:
    " @EpicSteve:  40 points is kinda steep isn't it? What's 20 cents in Points you reckon? "
    I'm not too sure. I know 80 points is a dollar.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By AndrewB

Drop it down to a quarter and... no. No... nothing about that makes any sense. If I want the arcade experience, I'll go play an arcade. This is an age of "owning" games (I won't get into the discussion of whether or not you really 'own' them here). The fact is that those games were made to sap the quarters from you. For $.50 a pop, that's more than I used to pay back when I actually played arcades. You'd quickly end up spending more than you would to just buy the game outright.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Red12b
    @AndrewB said:
    " Drop it down to a quarter and... no. No... nothing about that makes any sense. If I want the arcade experience, I'll go play an arcade. This is an age of "owning" games (I won't get into the discussion of whether or not you really 'own' them here). The fact is that those games were made to sap the quarters from you. For $.50 a pop, that's more than I used to pay back when I actually played arcades. You'd quickly end up spending more than you would to just buy the game outright. "
    Yep, I agree, totally redundant in this day and age.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By iam3green

ooo i do it sounds cool. nah, really it sounds stupid. i kind of think microsoft is going to the stupid people that would play something then say no, i want to beat this game. they will keep on "putting" in more quarters. i won't be playing them really.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By jonnyboy

Playing and enjoying games is what's most important to me. The manner in which they are presented is inconsequential.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Sounds neat to me. I like the idea. Though I don't expect these games will be getting the real Xbox Live Arcade treatment we're used to. I mean, like, I doubt anything will be updated, no points added, etc. I can't imagine them adding achievements to 1000 different arcade games, so it will probably be pretty bare-bones. That's a heck of a lot of games, though, so we'll see how it turns out.

fooflighter737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fooflighter737

Guys this is purely a generational thing...

Me being (holy shit) 37 now and not wanting to invest the time or effort into building a MAME cabinet, I don't think it would be necessarily bad to take a trip down nostalgia lane and peruse a virtual arcade like we used to do when you needed to line up your quarters on the machine to let someone know you had next game.  That being said, nostalgia will all it will be good for as I can only justify "buying" a certain number of games close to my heart and not filling this expanse with every arcade game of old...now if they start to make cabinets for every XBLA title out there, then this has the possibility of being a better way to find your game, put your favorites in one corner of the room and not-so-hots in another...could be cool....lets wait and see before we rush to judgement

Now Facebook on XBOX IS totally pointless, there I said it :)

fooflighter737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fooflighter737
    @jonnyboy said:
    " Playing and enjoying games is what's most important to me. The manner in which they are presented is inconsequential. "
    Really?....I would rather play Vectrex games on a real Vectrex than a PC portal screen
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By nanikore

Christ, who wants this bullshit? I just want to play games.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By danielkempster

I genuinely opened this thread expecting to see a news story about some random asian company producing knock-off 360s. Colour me doubly-disappointed.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jonnyboy
    @chughes737 said:
    " @jonnyboy said:
    " Playing and enjoying games is what's most important to me. The manner in which they are presented is inconsequential. "
    Really?....I would rather play Vectrex games on a real Vectrex than a PC portal screen "
    Firstly it's not like many people can nip down the shops and buy a Vectrex. Secondly what I meant was as long and the games are fun to play, I really don't care about the 'Avatar Arcade' surrounding they have been put in. XBLA plus the addition of party chat seems just fine to me.
    Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming

I don't see myself using this ever. Sorry Microsoft. Nice try at something new.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EpicSteve
    @dankempster said:

" I genuinely opened this thread expecting to see a news story about some random asian company producing knock-off 360s. Colour me doubly-disappointed. "

Thinking about how I titled the post, I would've probably thought the same. :)
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @InfiniteGeass said:
    "  I mean, will these games even have achievements? "
    Yes.
    kgould01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By kgould01

i will not be buying any of those games. all of those games are crap and im old school.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By dbz1995
    @EpicSteve said:
    " @Red12b said:
    " @EpicSteve:  40 points is kinda steep isn't it? What's 20 cents in Points you reckon? "
    I'm not too sure. I know 80 points is a dollar. "
    Then it's 12 points...I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.