Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

XBOX 360 Fail - A glimpse into the dimal future of a collector

fooflighter737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By fooflighter737

Topic should read : dismal - sorry for the spell check

Let me clarify and start right off by saying I love my XBOX 360.  Okay, now with that out of the way, let me pull out my soapbox and take a step up. Can I get a witness...

While I might be preaching to the choir, most people are aware of the lackluster lifeline of said 360 console.  There are two schools of thought when it comes to the RROD (red ring of death) or most general/video hardware failures; those that it has happened to, and those who have yet to experience the dreaded red stinkeye of death, but will eventually.  Sure...I used to be one of the smug "It'll never happen to me".... crowd, "I take care of my electronics and I trust MS..."....blah blah blah...well...I am now going on my 4th XBOX 360 in 3 years.  Yes, for my collection of XBOX 360's regardless of manufacture date, Falcon chip, care, dust prevention - the lifeline is averaged at just over a year, sometime when the standard warranty runs out!

MS is very lucky in terms of its game library which keeps users like me coming back for more abuse.  Trust me I have thought about  going to the Dark Side and getting a PS3, but I have so much invested into my 360 library that I always come back to the warm familiar shelter of Bill Gates and Company.  Anyhoo, this brings up my dilemma...As a 35 year old gamer who still has his original Pong, Atari 2600, Vectrex, Colecovision, Microvision, Apple IIe, Commodore 64, Sega Genesis, Sony Playstation, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, and Nintendo DS, and Original XBOX - all in perfectly good working order I might add...one has to wonder what the future may hold for collectors like myself, or those who choose to relish their libraries of games and whip out some tasty nostalgia from time to time.   Heck, you don't even need to be a collector, just someone who takes care of their purchases and like to play games long after the market has stopped supporting the tech and moved on to the next gen. 

Unfortunately, unless the XBOX 3 has full backward compatibility, and not what we have currently on the 360 with the Original XBOX library, something that really works!!!!...I'm afraid my hard earned cash is only going to the trash heap as my games in a 5-10 year timeframe will be rendered worthless by the fact that no single XBOX 360 will be alive in order to appreciate their gaming goodness.  I can see the EBAY page now...Working XBOX 360, NIB (new in box never played), note * based on past failure rates seller cannot guarantee working condition upon receipt of winning bid item.  Purchaser assumes all responsiblity for RROD or other video failures as MS has stopped supporting the 360 long ago

What's a gamer/collector to do...sink his money into AAA titles only...looks to be the case...too bad really since there are a plethora of purchase worthy titles I will have to skip as they will only line up to be future coasters in a dormant 360 flashing that evil red eye of doom.

So in 10 years if you have a working XBOX 360, list that sucker up on EBAY, I'll be waiting....

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

your whole arguement is flawed by the fact that its almost guaranteed that the xbox 3 will be fully backwards compatible with the 360.  We still dont know about back to the xbox, but id assume theyll find a way for us to play halo 1 and 2 (it is afterall the reason the xbox survived)

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

So lets get this straight, you write a blog about your 360's failing *and there are 3 groups, those its happend too, those who deny it will, and those whom it never has and likely never will* and you then post a thread about your blog post?
    maybe next time just post your lil diatribe instead of blogging it then pointing us to the blog.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By DARKIDO07

Dude, the RROD epidemic is over, failure rates have been dropping quickly.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ i think this is true.  My xbox hasnt failed on me.  I got it about the time gears came out

Gordy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Gordy

Where are you guys getting that info? Do you actually have a source other than "dude, me and my bro haven't replaced our 360's in a long time"

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DARKIDO07
    Gordy said:
    "Where are you guys getting that info? Do you actually have a source other than "dude, me and my bro haven't replaced our 360's in a long time""
    How about the facts that Microsoft has replaced the bad parts in new Xbox 360 models, how about the fact that you can totally fix / prevent getting the RROD by fixing the X-Clamps ect.

30-50% Failure rate in 2005/2006. Source
    16% Failure rate in 2008. Source

I would say that is a pretty significant drop. Also just for clarification there are some 15-20 Million Xbox 360's sold world wide that equates to 2,400,000-3,200,000 Xbox 360's have failed. Sure 3 Million is more failures than a console should have in a year, but still it is dropping.

fooflighter737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fooflighter737
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "So lets get this straight, you write a blog about your 360's failing *and there are 3 groups, those its happend too, those who deny it will, and those whom it never has and likely never will* and you then post a thread about your blog post?
    maybe next time just post your lil diatribe instead of blogging it then pointing us to the blog."
    Your 3rd group is the test group, and one I was a proud member of until I got too cocky.  Hence my 4th box.  As fox the blog thing, yeah, my bad I was just playing with the site features...next time I'll just post it.
    fooflighter737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fooflighter737
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "Dude, the RROD epidemic is over, failure rates have been dropping quickly."
    Here's my conspiracy theory.  My latest failure is a video card failure which happened right up until my last 2 RROD.  The screen goes green and red and very Vincent Van Goughy!...I haven't got the RROD yet and here's why I believe why.  Get out your copy of Oliver Stone's JFK and strap on your tinfoil helmet. 

MS realized they were getting hammered with video failures with the RROD and since they extended the warranty by 3 years, they needed a way out.  The latest updates on Live have allowed the Video Card Failures - which is now rapidly on the rise (just take a look at the threads on xbox.com)  to avoid triggering a RROD.  So now you have an out of warranty, video failure with no extended 3 year warranty.  Problem solved for the press and MS.  In other words your screwed unless you lie and call it a RROD anyways.  So keep up the cockyness, you's WILL FAIL, trust me.  Post back here when it does and let me know how your RMA is going...Plus for a quality roduct you shouldn't have to crack cases and fix clamps with washers and what not.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DARKIDO07
    chughes737 said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    "Dude, the RROD epidemic is over, failure rates have been dropping quickly."
    Here's my conspiracy theory.  My latest failure is a video card failure which happened right up until my last 2 RROD.  The screen goes green and red and very Vincent Van Goughy!...I haven't got the RROD yet and here's why I believe why.  Get out your copy of Oliver Stone's JFK and strap on your tinfoil helmet. 

MS realized they were getting hammered with video failures with the RROD and since they extended the warranty by 3 years, they needed a way out.  The latest updates on Live have allowed the Video Card Failures - which is now rapidly on the rise (just take a look at the threads on xbox.com)  to avoid triggering a RROD.  So now you have an out of warranty, video failure with no extended 3 year warranty.  Problem solved for the press and MS.  In other words your screwed unless you lie and call it a RROD anyways.  So keep up the cockyness, you's WILL FAIL, trust me.  Post back here when it does and let me know how your RMA is going...Plus for a quality roduct you shouldn't have to crack cases and fix clamps with washers and what not.

"
    Your going to be waiting a while then. Also I haven't heard anything on Xbox.com about video card issues. And I really don't care what I do to my Xbox as its out of warranty anyway.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Blog posts in the form of a thread are one thing, but a thread started only to link to a blog post is really lame.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By mike
    chughes737 said:
    Here's my conspiracy theory.  My latest failure is a video card failure which happened right up until my last 2 RROD.  The screen goes green and red and very Vincent Van Goughy!...
    The 360 has a video card?
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    DARKIDO07 said:
    " ...I really don't care what I do to my Xbox as its out of warranty anyway."
    It should still be covered for RRoD, right?  It hasn't even been three years since its release.
    DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DARKIDO07
    Origina1Penguin said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    It should still be covered for RRoD, right?  It hasn't even been three years since its release."
    I don't know, I check my warranty status online (Xbox.com) and it said out of warranty.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "your whole arguement is flawed by the fact that its almost guaranteed that the xbox 3 will be fully backwards compatible with the 360.  We still dont know about back to the xbox, but id assume theyll find a way for us to play halo 1 and 2 (it is afterall the reason the xbox survived)"
    That's a fucking stupid statement. You can't guarantee *shit*.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mike

Take it easy Jayge, I'm sure you can find a more productive way of expressing your opinions.  Let's not let this thread turn into yet another full-on flame war.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brukaoru

I am hoping that Microsoft has the decency and common sense to make the next Xbox console fully 100% backwards compatible with all 360 games. It would really make me angry if I want to play these games in the future and my console was to red ring and not be in warranty anymore without any other way of playing them.

Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "Origina1Penguin said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    It should still be covered for RRoD, right?  It hasn't even been three years since its release."
    I don't know, I check my warranty status online (Xbox.com) and it said out of warranty."
    Mine showed up that way too when I sent it in a couple months ago, but they said it was covered for the three red lights so I didn't dispute it.  Hopefully you won't need a repair to find out though :P
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By whackmypinata

You guys are acting like RRoD is the only way a 360 can fail.
    SmugDarkLoser said:

"^ i think this is true.  My xbox hasnt failed on me.  I got it about the time gears came out"

So just because yours hasn't failed on you means the RRoD epidemic is over?
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_
    MB said:
    "Take it easy Jayge, I'm sure you can find a more productive way of expressing your opinions.  Let's not let this thread turn into yet another full-on flame war."
    Fine.

That's a highly unintelligent statement. Nobody can guarantee anything about the new Xbox, and discounting him because you think differently is not a wise choice. Furthermore, consoles have quickly been turning to a policy of no backwards compatibility with little or no opposition, and the likelihood of being backwards compatible besides purchasing digitally distributed games in the next generation is very, very low.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mike
    whackmypinata said:
    "You guys are acting like RRoD is the only way a 360 can fail.
    That's a good point.  I'm on my fourth 360 and my first three all failed without giving RRoD.  The third one was eating discs and wasn't under warranty through MS anymore...I bought an Arcade to replace it with my Amex Platinum, automatic free year of warranty extension is nice for my peace of mind. 
    Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jixashauser

I´m on my fourth xbox in little under a year :P while a friend of mine has had his for 2+ years without anything happening to it, so aparantly I´ve been cursed or something.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DARKIDO07
    Jayge said:
    "MB said:
    "Take it easy Jayge, I'm sure you can find a more productive way of expressing your opinions.  Let's not let this thread turn into yet another full-on flame war."
    Fine.

That's a highly unintelligent statement. Nobody can guarantee anything about the new Xbox, and discounting him because you think differently is not a wise choice. Furthermore, consoles have quickly been turning to a policy of no backwards compatibility with little or no opposition, and the likelihood of being backwards compatible besides purchasing digitally distributed games in the next generation is very, very low."
    This is very true even Sony has dropped backwards compatibility on the Playstation 3 which was the dumbest thing ever in my opinion. Hopefully the next round of consoles will be %100 compatible with there last-gen-counterparts.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    chughes737 said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "So lets get this straight, you write a blog about your 360's failing *and there are 3 groups, those its happend too, those who deny it will, and those whom it never has and likely never will* and you then post a thread about your blog post?
    maybe next time just post your lil diatribe instead of blogging it then pointing us to the blog."
    Your 3rd group is the test group, and one I was a proud member of until I got too cocky.  Hence my 4th box.  As fox the blog thing, yeah, my bad I was just playing with the site features...next time I'll just post it."
    We'll I'll get back to you when i reach the end of this gen and my 360's still work.

@jayge we cannot gurantee it but neither can any one else that says all 360s will eventually fail regardless.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jayge_
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "chughes737 said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    Your 3rd group is the test group, and one I was a proud member of until I got too cocky.  Hence my 4th box.  As fox the blog thing, yeah, my bad I was just playing with the site features...next time I'll just post it."
    We'll I'll get back to you when i reach the end of this gen and my 360's still work.

@jayge we cannot gurantee it but neither can any one else that says all 360s will eventually fail regardless."
    Actually, the combined failure rates of disk drives, processor failures, graphics card failures, among other things reaches much higher than any single statistic. Not that your post has anything to do with my post anyway.
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By whackmypinata
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "chughes737 said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:

@jayge we cannot gurantee it but neither can any one else that says all 360s will eventually fail regardless."
    You have too much confidence in your 360. I had the same haughtiness for 2 years till it broke. The chances that 360s will eventually fail outnumber the ones that will live on forever. Think about it.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#28  Edited By Vinchenzo
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Jayge said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "chughes737 said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:

Actually, the combined failure rates of disk drives, processor failures, graphics card failures, among other things reaches much higher than any single statistic. Not that your post has anything to do with my post anyway."
    and how was it not to do with your post? where you said he couldn't gurantee shit when it comes to full bc on xbox 3, And I replied well you guys cant gurantee that every ones 360 is gonna fail eventually based on your criteria.

@whack and your logic is bad, If there is a chance it wont break then doesn't that mean it might not and could not and will not? you cant have a chance of something breaking without a chance of it not, it wouldn't be a chance then it would be a gurantee.

I've yet to have a single problem with a DAY one launch pro 360 and its been played quite often im sure i've beat the over 3 year chance limit on this thing it shows no sign of breaking any time soon, the same for my elite.

fooflighter737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fooflighter737

Okay guys, sorry I posted the blog link rather than the blog itself.  I guess I just wasn't sure about the blog thing to begin with and didn't know it was a breach of geek etiquette.

On a side note : Can someone answer then what is the point of blogs on this site from a user standpoint?  Won't they just go unread?

Anyways, The point of the thread was not to start a war about the reliability of the XBOX 360, but the fact that most given a long enough time line will fail...So yours is still working...Great, good for you and your stanch support of your unfounded confidence.  My point was what about those of us who like to look back in 10 and 20 years. I can almost guarantee without a successful BC mission by MS, there will be no 360 nostagia except for XBOX Live Arcade downloads etc...
    Is this a travesty, well considering all tech will eventually break, not that much, but I would like to at least get 5 years out of a single console.  Is that too much too ask?  Trust me, I would much rather be on the side of people who haven't had to pack up their baby and send it to Texas for refurbishng/replacement but that is not the case.  I have 4 other friends who all have 360's and all have had to replace theirs at least once.  That's a 100% failure rate in my little circle.  We have also all stopped willy nilly purchasing games like we used to and save ourr purchases for AAA only.  Should you or MS be concerned...hell yes.  There are others out there in my situation, over 30% of the userbase. If you put out an inferior piece of hardware, software sales will eventually balance to reflect the systems confidence level....Not good for indie developers or 3rd party support.

Is this going to end 360 tomorrow, obviously not.  I just wish people would demand higher standards from their purchases now adays rather than try to boast their intellect with statements like, "Dude, you're a dumbass it's just a simple Xclamp trick  to make it work"...That's the point, IT SHOULD WORK FLAWLESS ALREADY!.  Anyways, until the end user demands a higher standard, companies like MS will  continue to cater to the lowest common denominator.

fooflighter737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fooflighter737
    WilliamRLBaker said:

I've yet to have a single problem with a DAY one launch pro 360 and its been played quite often im sure i've beat the over 3 year chance limit on this thing it shows no sign of breaking any time soon, the same for my elite.

I made a post like this, strangely, and without warning, my box failed the next day, without warning.  Don't kill the messenger man, you sound like you need to go to a happy place and de-stress, all the pent up anger is gonna get to you one day....
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheHBK
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "your whole arguement is flawed by the fact that its almost guaranteed that the xbox 3 will be fully backwards compatible with the 360.  We still dont know about back to the xbox, but id assume theyll find a way for us to play halo 1 and 2 (it is afterall the reason the xbox survived)"

gee, I bet you could have said the same thing about the PS3 being backward compatible and look what happened.  I think this has set the trend that backward compatability is not necessary for the system to sell well.
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DoctorTran

I'll admit that I have had 3 Xbox 360's. Two of them failed. One of them is still running strong. None however had problems from RRoD.

My first Xbox 360, which I got Christmas of 2006, it's graphics card failed in March 2007.  Then in April of 2007 I bought an Elite. I fucked up it's HDD Because I tried to import my old saves onto it using Code Junkies XSATA Drive thing. So I took it back to Gamestop and said "Yeah the HDD didn't Work" they got me a new one within days... It's held up without a hitch since then.

Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bear
    Levio91 said:
    "emulators."
    I will be dead by the time there is a working 360 emulator.

I really do hope the next box comes with full B/C since I have invested a lot into my 360 games, and will probably continue to in the future. Being unable to play these games would be very sad.
    jomacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jomacha

i got my 360 in 2005 and it is never broke on me i gues im one of the lucky ones

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pibo47

Wow. The 360 is not perfect, but nither is anyother console. And the 360 is kinda my favorite console right now, not by much. But just by enough.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

You can apply your argument to any console!  Surely,  an old Playstation is going to be discontinued 10 years later & its games will have the same issue.  You make the assumption that the games won't carry forward, which they probably will, otherwise Mr. Softy will kill its fan base.

As for Xbox games, they already have the solution: Xbox Originals, download the old Xbox game to your hdd to play. So those games aren't going away when they're in digital form.  They might do the same with all the 360 games also. 

Lastly, there is the possibility that Mr. Softy licenses out the Xbox 360 in 2020 to asian knock-offs, so you can pick up a console for $40 at Wal-mart similar to how it works for old Nintendo & Sega consoles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.