Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Xbox 360 RROD Fix?

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deusdigit

So I've been helping a friend with a console. Well i took the heatsinks off and popped off the xclamps. I put artic silver thermal compound on the gpu and the cpu and Put everything back together and turned it on. This time i only got two red rings of death.

So i don't have a clue of what to do. a lot of the youtube videos don't do the best job of explaining just the two red rings.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CaptainCody

I'm assuming you got 3 rings not a whole ring; the half ring essentially means your xbox is overheating so it shuts itself down but in most cases your xbox had a major hardware failure and is just misleading itself into corrupting its own program.
    deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deusdigit
    @CaptainCody: Well you see it was 3 rings at first. Now its just two rings.
    me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By me3639

Im not going to go into a lot of detail, but just google RROD and their are a lot of videos that will show you what to do next.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Th3_James

Won't help for long, eventually it will fail.... I have fixed 4 360's and eventually they all end up failing again. currently i have 4 rrod 360's and 2 working ones..

but u did the fix, now all you need to do is make the 360 forget that it failed, overheat it... then leave it for 15 minutes, then turn it on. It will then work

some of my 360's have worked for over a year after i x-clamp fixed them, but in the end. they always fail

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

RROD > 360 

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Coombs

I was just "cooking" mine
    Wrapped er in a couple towels, and let it run for 1/2 hour
    Turned it off waited 10 min or so, And it would work the rest of the day
    (It was 3RROD)
    But was to much of a hassle so I just replaced it.
    Old ones in my spare room, I use it for GTA & shit while I'm smoking (when it works) lol

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By nrain

The only fix is to call up microsoft to get a new console, all this towel bullshit is for pirates.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thebatmobile

I used the towel trick because my 360 got RROD the day I got Fable 2, so I was desperate. It only lasted a couple of weeks though, but it's a good way to make your 360 make that final stand.

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deusdigit

UPDATE: guys i figured out what the problem was, Its all about the heat. because the cpu heats up, it needs somewhere to go. Heatsinks absorb it, but apparently the metal studs for the heatsinks were only getting in the way of the operation. I pressed hard on the heatsinks and booted up the console, dashboard turned on just fine, as soon as i let go of those heat sinks tho. The 2 red lights came back, i was experimenting a majority of the time. 

I'm not being a fanboy, but give me a break. Even tho i got kind of a business skill out of this, microsoft is wrong for creating such a terrible heat absorption architecture for this console. unless of course they did it on purpose to gain millions back, this is ridiculous! my friend actually thought he was going to be forced into buying a new console. but i kept telling him no, i know i can fix this. At least i can say that i won't try to take advantage of people when they need help to repair a console they just bought for their kids with possibility the last money they had.

Also, another thing. a lot of the videos on Youtube don't help. they need to go into full detail to help create confidence for people who have the guts to open the console in the first place. sometimes the measurements don't add up and the heatsinks vary from console to console. Such a big mess, i am just blabbering on and on.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @deusdigit said:
    " So I've been helping a friend with a console. Well i took the heatsinks off and popped off the xclamps. I put artic silver thermal compound on the gpu and the cpu and Put everything back together and turned it on. This time i only got two red rings of death.  So i don't have a clue of what to do. a lot of the youtube videos don't do the best job of explaining just the two red rings. "
    There's a CRUCIAL step you missed.

After you remove the original heat sinks from the board you need to (and I'm not kidding in the slightest) bake the board in an oven at a specific temperature (which the vid shows - for my 8800GTX it was 350 Celsius) for around 8-12 minutes.  This process is known as BGA Reflow and it essentially heats and softens the solder joints (which may have heated too much and dried and thus moved off the pads on the board) which allows them to properly sit on the pads which in turn properly completes the circuits on the board. 

I've done this for a fucked 8800GTX which wouldn't even allow the PC to boot prior to the oven bake fix and it worked.  When board with SMT (Surface Mount Technology) chips are mass manufactured, they are literally baked once on each side as a part of the manufacturing process. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

it is most likely the heat-sinks aren't on fully or something like that. the 360 probably doesn't see the heat sinks on so they just overheat. 2 red lights mean that it is over heating.

jerrkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jerrkat

With the Arcade under $200 and my system out of warranty. Would any of you suggest I buy a new system or attempt to repair  it myself?

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JoeyIA
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Skytylz
    @jerrkat said:
    " With the Arcade under $200 and my system out of warranty. Would any of you suggest I buy a new system or attempt to repair  it myself? "
    Both

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.