Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Xbox Red Ringed... Send it in or buy new?

Waterboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Waterboi

My Xbox just red ringed. Ive sent it in before and had it repaired for red rings during the warranty, but now i don't know if i should bother sending it in or just buying a new one. How much would sending it in cost? If i should buy new, which bundle?

SUGGESTIONS

Tanks

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By McShank

If you bought a new, Make sure you only get the slim (new black model) Because from everything that I have read on it, it supposedly fixed the RR problem. Sending it in will probably cost you around 100-150$ to fix if its not under the warrenty which is almost not worth it.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I think it's somewhere in the $100-$150 range to have a box repaired - refurbished box from GameStop will run you $99, you can toss your current HDD on it and it'll be good as. Personally I'd just as soon send it back to MS - at least it'll get another 90 day warranty.

If this is your 3rd replacement or later ask them about doing an 'Advanced Replacement' - they will ask you for a Credit Card number and ship you a new box, you then turn around and mail the broken one back, in the box the new one came in. So long as you do it in time your credit card is never charged.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mac_n_nina

Buy a new one. They look nicer/cooler and it won't red ring.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Nentisys

Just find some local modder and he will propably fix the RROD for under 40 bucks.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By mariokart64fan

if it costs 150 to repaIR an old phat , then that should be a crime because lol those are phased out , and at the pawn they are 99 dollars, gamestop sells the core for the same price lol so ya better off getting a new or a used slim xbox360 if you dont wanna risk it buy new, but i bought used and so far so good , ill tell ya in a yr how this does ,

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It sounds like you've got one of the older models. I'd recommend buying one of the new slim black Xboxs instead of getting that thing repaired.

Waterboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Waterboi

Thanks guys. Probably get a new one soon enough. Gotta get the money... may wait for the Bundle with Reach and Fable... though Fable kinda sucks and I'm not a huge Halo fan

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By louiedog

Christmas is coming and retailers will soon be discounting and throwing in extras like $50 store credit with a console purchase.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Branthog

If it will still be under warranty, then definitely send it in. Depending on the money situation, you may or may not want to buy another one, too. If it's not under warrant and you would have to spend some amount to have it repaired, then buying a new one is probably the better bet.

I picked up a new system the first time mine died and that way I always have a spare. I know that's not something everyone or maybe even most people can or are willing to do, but if it's an option, it makes the repair process tolerable.

Anyway, it looks like you're a kid, right? And the image on your profile makes it look like you're into a lot of tech stuff. Maybe even HAM radio or something? My guess is you're a decent kid who doesn't piss off his parents that much? If that's the case, call in those fucking markers and suck up to your parents like a mother fucker until Christmas and don't stop dropping hints about how you need a new 360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.