Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Game Studios

Company »

Also known as "Microsoft Games", "Microsoft Game Studios", and "Microsoft Studios", Xbox Game Studios is a primary subsidiary of the Microsoft Gaming division and handles publishing of their studios' games (including the Halo, Forza, and Gears of War series).

Microsoft Unveils Hololens Headset, Windows 10 Device Streaming for Xbox One

GiffE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@asky314159: This is an interesting thought! They certainly haven't solved the problem in the demonstration.

However, I could imagine it IS possible due to the camera being on the lens that it can super impose an image of your hand on top of the holographic image exactly where your hand is. Given how "Project Natal" came worked out, I don't hold high hopes for the device but the first impressions appearing do sound promising.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHERES MY SKATEBOARD SCANNING?!

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By John1912

Holograms are the next big fad. Hope they pan out! Technology has felt kinda behind in the past 10 years from sci fi expectations. This seems to be shifting though, and maybe rather quickly. Self driving cars, general purpose robots, Advanced general purpose AI, drones are all picking up more and more headlines.

There were a couple of articles last year saying in 2015 phones will project flat images on to surfaces that you can interact with like a screen, and in 2016 they will actually project 3D holograms into mid air. http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/next-smartphone-buy-holographic-projector-inside/

There are also large 3d holographic billboards coming. http://www.kurzweilai.net/huge-ultra-realistic-outdoor-3d-displays-without-glasses-planned-for-next-year

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#104  Edited By DarkbeatDK

I hope that holostuff will end up working as well as advertised. I was a bit bummed that Google Glass seemed to have gotten dropped, because we are only half-way there towards a dystopian Syndicate future. Right now it's only a handful of big companies that seems to own everything... We need all the AR technology bullshit and cyberpunk implants before were finally there.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By aktivity

@development: I find this to be a lot less gimmicky than VR. Removed from the constraints of gaming you can find a lot of useful applications in other fields.

trucksimulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funky.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just from that video thumbnail, this looks like that thing Norman Jayden got addicted to in Heavy Rain, ARI. And it may or may not have eventually killed him, depending on what ending you got.

Bedouin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Bedouin

Yes, I would love to see giant buttons for social media everywhere while walking around my home.

wibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I can honestly say... "I have interest"

I know it is another "Kinect" type project, but it's exciting!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

The only thing I found terribly interesting was Phil Spencer saying one of his favorite new games was Civ Beyond Earth, then I saw it said 15 minutes played. Probably not his Steam account, but I still got a laugh out of it.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they get even remotely close to this, I'm all over it. The crack in the living room wall showing minecraft was just sweet as all hell. You can say what you want about how mirrors and white walls expand a room... That was something else. As people live in smaller and smaller spaces, stuff like this will become more and more valuable as a way to change ones surroundings.
    One step closer to the pod

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

Hah!

That video is the most bullshit thing I've seen in a long ass time.

There's no way in hell it's ever going to even come close to working as well as it did in the video. Even if they managed to correctly map all of the holograms onto the surfaces in your home without too much jank, the kinect-esque interface of vaguely moving your fingers as a means to interact with said holograms is a complete lie. Seriously. There's literally no way that can be intuitive. You can't just tap your finger on a random spot in space and somehow have a computer know the exact point you meant to interact with. No. There will have to be some kind of cursor, and moving around a cursor by waggling your hands around.... Well, we all saw how the Kinect turned out. Imagine trying to maneuver that already-barely-functional cursor in three-dimensional space.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
    deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

David Cage did it first!!!!!

I hope I live long enough to get one of these. Bonus points if I get to OD on drugs like Jayden.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#114  Edited By ptys

Anyone who saw the first Kinect video, with the cool paper thing... will know what to expect.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#115  Edited By fram

I can finally have my ideal home office setup.

No Caption Provided

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By justicejanitor

One step closer to the crazy cyberpunk future! Sign me up!

No way it works as advertised thought.

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care about minecraft, will I be able to play summer lesson in my own home?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to end up like Kinect where it's useless for games but has practical applications in more important fields like medicine that people are going to conveniently ignore so they can call it a total failure.

atomicme317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By atomicme317

It's the streaming from Xbox One to any Windows PC or tablet that has me excited. This is their answer to Playstation's remote play, only Windows 10 will be ubiquitous within a few years, whereas the Vita is already nearly dead.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll believe it when I see it.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This promo smells of trailer-hype just like kinect.

Normal people don't want to wear giant headsets, be it hologram, or VR. This whole headset fad will end-up being another tech bubble. Smartphones have created this simulated interest in "technology" by the larger masses, alongside apps. While in reality all ppl do on their phones is send text's, browse the web, and play mindless games.That's as far as the general masses commitment to technology extends.

This magical world where ppl carry mobile headsets isn't a real category in the market, its too much effort and commitment for the average joe/jane.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@giffe: But it's streaming from xbox to Windows 10 device (PC/tablet) and they definitely didn't say it would work in the other direction so I wouldn't go expecting that any time soon or even ever.

Also I don't want to tell you how to spend your money or anything but considering the hardware you seem to be employing, getting a stronger GPU doesn't appear to be a very heavy investment for you. :V

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of wish people wouldn't call this a hologram. To be a hologram it needs to projected into the world. What we have here is very good stereoscopic AR.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#124 fisk0  Moderator

I'll just put this 1989 NASA video up here:

Loading Video...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By penguindust

Anyone notice that they don't show a single person wearing the thing from the front? A few shots from the side and the rest are the backs of people's heads. Makes me wonder if they believe your average person will think they look silly wearing the oversized googles on their face.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

Xbox One owners will be able to stream any game from their library to any Windows 10 PC or tablet.

Wouldn't the exact opposite of this be infinitely more useful?

Not for me, then I could just bury the Xbone in the corner and not have to worry about switching HDMI cables and audio cables every time I'd want to play my console.

Springfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Let me know when I can scan in my skateboard.

lachrymoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First version won't be able to make holograms of black people.

Avatar image for deactivated-649e6d7f86ede
    deactivated-649e6d7f86ede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, I get Windows 10 for free. Good. I like not having to spend money.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Man, Microsoft again shows something totally fucking awesome that no other company has even come close to, and everyone is so jaded that they write it off as a "meh." NASA is working with them to use it with the Mars rover Curiosity this summer, and they have working demos in their secret lab that all the journalists attending were able to try out.

Science fiction is becoming science fact. HOW FUCKING COOL IS THAT?!?!?!

Also, streaming from the Xbox One to my PC sounds pretty neat. Would be awesome if they're able to pull off PC to Xbox One, though I can definitely see them running into legal issues with publishers and whatnot.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By north6

Anyone notice that they don't show a single person wearing the thing from the front? A few shots from the side and the rest are the backs of people's heads. Makes me wonder if they believe your average person will think they look silly wearing the oversized googles on their face.

Good call. Google Glass just got shelved for basically that reason, as I understand it.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder for how long the free upgrade stuff was talked about in secret, considering the whole fact that DirectX 12 is a 10 exclusive feature. I'm happy though, as long as it reviews well, I'll be probably upgrading. I think that the motivation for this move is two-fold; gain some really good PR, and combat the issue of most of your userbase sticking with a single OS (don't have any official stats with me, but I remember the adherence rate for 7 and XP being crazy high. Fairly certain that 7 was still well over 50% of the customer base, even with 8 out for a couple of years).

Also, yo, that motorcycle was first made in holograms son. Major technological innovations are built on the backs of previous attempts, so whether Microsoft falls flat or triumphs is not the most important part here. What is important is that Microsoft is putting itself on the line and beginning to seriously think about all this future shit, and that's exciting.

rox360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

30 years from now, when I'm too old to care about any of this stuff, all these things will be a reality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Still no MC Collection on PC.

NEXT

Brad3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flippyandnod: Aside from the word "exclusive" how is the Wired article full of bullshit? A lot of different press outlets got their hands on the same demos and said basically the exact same stuff.

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TBH if this thing actually works, and can enhance gaming. like the hologram video MS put out a couple years ago, that showed the TV content being expanded off the screen and projected around the room, I could totally see myself using something like this. It's obviously less immersive than full vr. But being able to see your hands and feet, as well as your home environment, is more user friendly while still potentially adding tons to what you are doing.

I don't see why something like this can't live along side the Oculus Rift. VR excites me as long as they get the motion sickness stuff sorted. But AR or holographic tech excites me just as much. And if this ends up competing with the Rift at all, it will be a good thing, because competition in the market means the consumers win. Look at what's happening with the new consoles, prices cut and packages re-tooled after less than one year as a direct result of MS and Sony competing.

Seeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

The stream of an actual live demo made me far more interested in this than the marketing video since the latter, as many have said, feels a whole lot like the completely unrealistic marketing which was originally put behind Kinect. Motion tracking seems like it will have less issues than Kinect since it is presumably tracking hand movements rather than full-body movements and using a visor of sorts ensures that it is centered where you are looking (though I have to image that it becomes uncomfortable to wear after a while). I'd say the main issue here is that it seems to rely a whole lot upon vocal commands, which are always infinitely more cumbersome and annoying than pure motion-tracking.

I guess they are also really trying to figure out just what they can do with Minecraft at this point to recover the absurd amount of money they paid for it; they haven't really done a whole lot with it so far, but the marketing video focused a good bit upon people playing with Minecraft-like things and even just straight-up Minecraft near the end.

Brad3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: Oh, for sure. I'm not saying that Hololens is going to be a big success and have lots of great applications, I'm just saying that people who have actually used it have said amazing things that seem to bear out the possibility that what was shown in the concept video is not as far from the truth.

Microsoft have said that this has a long way to go still and no one is even making any software for it yet. I see this more akin to the old table sized Microsoft Surface of yore, more a proof of concept that will bear out much more fruit in 5 or 10 years.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brad3000: for sure, duder. Even though the tech is not up my alley, it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Look Around You.

But on a serious note, this is actually really awesome. But only as a groundwork for the future. Consumers don't want a bulky faceshield, but in the future, I see this sort of augmented reality making it into regular glasses, maybe contact lenses. Hell, augmented eyes.

You have to lay the groundwork.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really hope one of the first public made holograms is Tupac and Michael Jackson hanging out in your house.

I think this technology is going to be much more friendly to consumers over virtual reality in that you still have your peripheral vision with this. Oculus almost made me puke after 2 minutes of trying it.

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will I be able to scan my skateboard into my holo lens?

ZokuGojira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another piece of hardware where the primary use case is a lightsaber fighting game, that won't get one, or at least won't get a decent one.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

Hololens sound like something more useful in the engineering and business world than in the consumer world. I'm sure cool stuff could get made with it but professional use sounds more interesting to me for this technology.

I was about to say that CAD work would be amazing with that thing. I just got a touch screen laptop and even that tech makes orienting parts a million times easier and more intuitive.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@shevar said:

Windows 10 as a free upgrade in it's first year? Forget about the Holostuff, but this blew my mind.

Yea holy shit, as someone who works on PCs for a living that is a Crazy move for them.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While IRL holograms are pretty far off, the most relevant aspect of the tech is the "stand-alone" part. Until Oculus can fit all that shiznit into a single headband, it'll be a gimmick - a cool one, but a gimmick nonetheless. That goes twice for Sony's VR headset. At least a PC can be close by. A console is usually across a room.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

Psssh. Change the name to HaloLens to fit in with MS' Halo-everything approach.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3d modelling and animation is the only thing I can think of that Hololens would be useful for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.