Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

I convinced my casual gamer friend to buy an Xbox One about a year ago.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By bigsocrates

A little more than a year ago I told my friend to get an Xbox One, and he did. (http://tinyurl.com/l9uf5sa)

A year later he is glad he did, but my real take away was that for the casual gamer there's just not a huge difference between the Xbox One and PS4 like there is for people who are more hardcore.

The vast majority of the time he uses the Xbox as a media machine.

My friend uses his Xbox almost every day, but the vast majority of the use is for Hulu, Netflix, or some other non-gaming media. He likes to put Pandora on when he's working from home. He likes to rent movies from the Xbox service. His wife and he sometimes watch stuff on Crackle or rent/buy Blu Rays (he did not previously have a Blu Ray player). The Xbox's main purpose is as a conduit to online media and it serves the purpose well for his needs.

Owning the Xbox lead to him giving up his cable subscription

He gave up cable soon after buying the Xbox and has not looked back. His explanation is that his wife and he had cable so that they could easily just put on something to watch on their big screen TV with minimal hassle. The Xbox media features served this purpose fine, so they ended up cutting the cord. I found that mildly interesting because the Xbox marketed itself in large part as a compliment to cable, but those features didn't interest them.

That is not to say that he didn't use the Xbox for games at all

Over the course of a year my friend played about a dozen games and got a gamerscore in the 8,000s (starting at 0.) The majority of his time was spent with 2D games like Guacamelee Turbo Championship Addition and Volgarr the Viking, though he did play a bunch of Titanfall and some Master Chief Collection. He got really into both Trials: Fusion and Peggle 2 (both 2D playing games) and put over a hundred hours into each. His most-played "modern" game would probably be Diablo III, but that's also 2D playing. He denies favoring one style of game over another and instead says that a large part of the reason he's played a lot of 2D games has to do with the Games with Gold program, and that he doesn't buy games when he has perfectly fun free games available. He really likes Games with Gold. He's not super particular about the games he plays as long as he likes them, and he's liked most of what Games With Gold offered (though he did not care for Crimson Dragon or Chariot.)

His wife has played some dance/fitness games but mostly just uses the console for Netflix and Hulu.

He likes the online features but gets annoyed when there are issues, such as voice chat dropping out.

Not much to say here. He and I have played a fair amount of online multiplayer this year, and he gets annoyed when there are voice problems (which have lessened recently.) He believes that if he's paying for Xbox Gold it just needs to work. Hard to argue.

Is he glad he bought the Xbox One?

Yes. He wanted a gaming console and a media device and it's worked for both purposes. He doesn't really care about console war stuff, he cares about whether he's enjoying the product. He wants to play more Master Chief Collection (and hasn't encountered the bugs because he plays single-player and co-op) and he's really enjoying Geometry Wars 3. There's enough stuff on the console for a casual player.

Is he upset about the price drop?

No. He had the console for over 6 months before the price dropped, and he saved enough money not paying for cable that he actually came out ahead during that time vs waiting to buy it when it hit $350.

What about Kinect?

He thinks of Kinect as a somewhat nice little gimmick. His wife has used it a little for the dancing stuff. I'm not sure he understands how useless Kinect looks to be over the next few years.

Would he have been better off with a PS4?

Probably, but only slightly and only really because of the price. In terms of functionality the two consoles both do what he wants. The Xbox interface is better for media in some ways, while Ps4 offers 2 games a month vis PS+.

The Big Takeaway?

For casual players what matters is price and the system their friends are playing on. Although users at a site like this wouldn't really compare buying a game console to buying a DVD player, in some ways it can be. Does it play games? Does it handle media okay? Cool, play on. None of the modern consoles are like the CD-I or 3DO that people will regret buying in a couple of years.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Humanity

It's nice to hear someone being happy with something for a change. This generation has been a whole lot of grumbling, myself included, and for good reasons. So it's nice to see someone out there happy with what they got.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I agree for a casual player there is no real difference except price. To be honest, he might have been better off with a Roku and a used PS3.

reallyroshan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thanks for sharing!

You know what's weird? My brother who swore by the PS3 for all his gaming last generation, and didn't care for the 360 (even though I got him one as a gift), has preferred Xbox One over the PS4.

He got the PS4 at launch, and then ended up trading it in for an Xbox One. I don't really understand where the similarities of those devices come in except for being the market alternative to the popular choice. Ideas?

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Most of the conversations I have about games end in "Fuck the XBox One! PS4 or you're a dick, motherfucker!", so it's good to hear about someone enjoying their time with an XBox One. For the record I think both consoles seem pretty awesome.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am happy with my Xbox One. I would probably like having more free games all the time, but other than that, I don't yearn for (or know of) anything the PS4 has that the XB1 doesn't. Additionally, I use my Kinect on a nightly basis to control Netflix, and am therefore very pleased with the Kinect as an accessory in spite of its intended use as a gaming peripheral (although the motion control for it is functionally useless with my voice and the controller as alternatives). I think the key factor here, though, is that I have a PC as well, and therefore don't feel like because I have an XB1 I don't get to play as many games as my PS4 brethren given that it has better indie support. I just get them on PC. Ultimately, I got an XB1 and am pleased with it. It's a good machine.

Gilian_Seed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gilian_Seed

So good pathfinder! XBox one has it all, it's my choice for console. The resolution difference doesnt bother me at all. 720 and 900p looks great on the XBox ONe upscaler! Soglad I jumped in, because they have the best games! I play the master chief collection every day since release and never had any problems people complained about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.