Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Kinect is a perfectly viable chat mic. IF...

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Turns out the mic on the kinect is surprisingly good.

Here's the thing. If you don't have background noise to worry about, you can use the kinect as your main chat mic.

My brother and I were both in a party with our headsets for audio. Chat was also coming through the headsets, but we were using the kinect for voice. Not using the pack in.

It doesn't sound as good as the included chat headset, but it sounds pretty good. I sit about 5 feet away from the kinect and it just worked. Of course it's better to use the pack in when you want the mic close to your face, but if other noise isn't an issue, it's convenient. Works better when you're using a headset for audio, but I imagine even people getting it through their TV might find a use for it.

Was not expecting that at all.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By EXTomar

So you mean a house without kids and a dog that run in and out or are playing with toys on the floor nearby. Perfect for the bachelor pad.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Sounds good. I play games in my room mostly so would never have a noise issue. But the included heatset looks really nice so best of both.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

So you mean a house without kids and a dog that run in and out or are playing with toys on the floor nearby. Perfect for the bachelor pad.

Or people who play in a bedroom, or for the times when no one is home. The only reason why I even tried to use it that way is because no one is home, and it worked great.

Just another option that can work.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@extomar said:

I've been using voice pretty reliably for over a year with Kinect 1.0 and I have a five year old son and two Jack Russel Terriers. I've also used it during several semi-noisy parties. The only thing that's ever messed with it is placing it too close to my surround sound's center speaker.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@extomar said:

I've been using voice pretty reliably for over a year with Kinect 1.0 and I have a five year old son and two Jack Russel Terriers. I've also used it during several semi-noisy parties. The only thing that's ever messed with it is placing it too close to my surround sound's center speaker.

To be honest though, you're not really the one experiencing that problem if you're using the mic. It's the people you're playing with that hear all the background noise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I have not had a problem with Kinects sending background sounds and house noises at me. The problem is they made a device with a microphone and then told people to place them in front of their televisions. Where the game sound comes out.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EXTomar

It would be like setting up your laptop on the living room table and using Skype to talk to someone. It is "perfectly viable" but more often than not you pick up the laptop and move to another area if others are watching tv or playing or whatever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.